🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

First holiday where to look where to go?

Options

Comments

• Jamiesmum
    Jamiesmum Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, great replies, appreciate that. Yes early June not July, doh!

I'm on the edge of certain locations whilst I don't believe we should all buy into the terrorists stuff, risk is still there so I'm a bit undecided. If I had a dream destination maybe it would be different but I'm honestly just looking for a weeks get away at the moment. Egypt would be lovely though I'm sure!

May be another silly question but if anyone reads down, would booking the flights and hotel separate be a nuisance in any way plus travel to the hotel from airport or is it the same as booking it all together?

And if not all inclusive should we go half board or just self catering? I'm not sure off the exchange rates but I would guess £800 spending money GBP would be around what I would consider though it seems high to other half. I say not if we plan days out/eat out/gifts.

I will also take a look at trip adviser when I get my list down! Thank you
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Personally I think you've left it quite late to book flights separately. They tend to get expensive the nearer you get to your dates, and availability might not be good. If I were you, I would go for a package holiday where flights, transfers etc are all included. As for all inclusive, half board or just B&B, find a place and hotel you like and see what board arrangements they offer. Greece is not the best place to go all inclusive, but other places can be good. Our hotel in Ibiza is all inclusive, but we go there because we love the hotel and not because it's all inclusive. Also, it doesn't mean you can't go out and about and have some meals out, which is what we do. It is nice to have all inclusive drinks especially when the weather is hot.
  • tabata
    tabata Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Off topic a bit, but which hotel do you stay at in Ibiza? as this is another place I really want to visit.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Jamiesmum wrote: »
    May be another silly question but if anyone reads down, would booking the flights and hotel separate be a nuisance in any way plus travel to the hotel from airport or is it the same as booking it all together?
    You don't get the same protection with a DIY holiday as you do with a package.
    Be wary - some OTA (online travel agents) will put together a 'dynamic' package - flights, accommodation, transfers - but it's not necessarily a 'true' package. On The beach is one such OTA.

And don't touch any website that offers Ryanair flights booked through them.
    You will not save any money by doing so - the company will just take your details and book through the Ryanair website pretending to be you.
    Jamiesmum wrote: »
    And if not all inclusive should we go half board or just self catering? I'm not sure off the exchange rates but I would guess £800 spending money GBP would be around what I would consider though it seems high to other half. I say not if we plan days out/eat out/gifts.
    AI, HB, SC - whatever suits you.

I've commented on SC in Greece in my post #8 - including spends.
    I'm out of touch with what you'd pay in Spain.

We enjoy eating out and that's our evening entertainment.
    Costs of days out will obviously differ depending on where you go.
    Quite often, the bus service in Greece is pretty good. A trip to the nearest city can cost ust a few euros.
    When we went to Crete, we visited Knossos via local transport.

If you narrow your search down to some specific locations and potential accommodation, come back and ask for more advice.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2016 at 8:17AM
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    You can't rely on the Canaries to be hot, it'll certainly be nice and warm but may not necessarily be 'hot'.

Southern Spain maybe?

In late May to early June? I'd say it would be reliably hot - nice and warm in the winter.

The OPs never been abroad before (except as a young child) so may well not want it as hot as someone more used to higher temperatures.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    No, but they said hot so I took it as that

They may well define hot a few degrees lower than you or I would, but who knows. To me hot would mean 30+ day after day
    IMO, the Canaries are seldom constantly hot, they don't call Tenerife the 'Island of eternal spring' for nothing
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    No, but they said hot so I took it as that

They may well define hot a few degrees lower than you or I would, but who knows. To me hot would mean 30+ day after day
    IMO, the Canaries are seldom constantly hot, they don't call Tenerife the 'Island of eternal spring' for nothing

I'd describe that as unbearable, particularly if you want to be out and about sighseeing occasionally. You might also need to consider air conditioned accommodation in that sort of climate.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    I'd describe that as unbearable, particularly if you want to be out and about sighseeing occasionally. You might also need to consider air conditioned accommodation in that sort of climate.

There you go, unless the OP describes what they consider hot, we'll never know and have to simply apply our own individual definition of it rather than trying to guess what theirs may be.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You might want to consider sorting out a EHIC - European Health Insurance Card.

Apply for free - read more here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2016 at 9:52AM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    You might want to consider sorting out a EHIC - European Health Insurance Card.

Good shout Polly.

We don't usually holiday in the EU, and although we have EHIC I never gave a thought to the fact that they have an expiry date.

A few weeks ago we were in Malta and talking to a bloke who was a long winter stayer on the Island. He told me he'd just had to have emergency inpatient treatment. I asked him how he'd paid for it. He simply said that he presented his EHIC on arrival at the hospital, and everything was taken care of.

What he said made me think. I asked my wife to have a look at our EHIC [always kept with other bits of plastic in her purse]. She gave me the cards and they'd expired 6 months ago! That evening, in the hotel I went online and got them renewed.

Edit: But always make sure you also have appropriate Travel Insurance to cover all eventualities from the moment you commit any money to a holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport