New Customer - metered standing charges? (Southeastwater)

I got a new flat on the 9th March and set up a direct debit with South East Water stating I moved in on the 9th March, however in their email today I'm to pay a £160.48 metered standing charges between 10 March 2015 to 31 March 2016. I'm a new owner, why am I paying charges for the previous owner? Also the contracts did not state the water is metered, just an annual charge of £370.

The email:
Supply Address:
Subject: Your New Account

Thank you for taking the time to email our Customer Service Department on 11 March 2016 regarding the above mentioned property.

I can confirm that your above mentioned account has been opened using the details provided in your email. You will shortly receive an opening bill for £160.48, which covers the Metered standing charges between 10 March 2015 to 31 March 2016. You will subsequently receive a bill for your water usage half yearly.

I can confirm that the Direct Debit has been set up using the bank details you have provided us with. Payments will taken on the 1st of April for £16.12, and 9 following payments of £16.04 on the first of every month.

If you have any other queries, please contact us on 0333 000 11 22.

Kind regards

This is my first time setting up bills, so any advice would be appreciated. Is this charge normal, etc?

Comments

• Mykidsmum
    Mykidsmum Posts: 29
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You are only responsible from the date you purchased the property. Check the date you gave them in your email in case you put 2015 in error. Either way contact them again and tell them the year should be 2016, not 2015 and they will send an amended bill. :)
  • Aaron3195
    Aaron3195 Posts: 51
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It was done by online form contrary to the email saying it was done by email, I will have to call them up via text relay to sort this out :mad: But it makes sense, I must have put 2015 as the start date by accident
  • Aaron3195
    Aaron3195 Posts: 51
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 March 2016 at 12:33PM
    Their lines were busy so I emailed them:
    Dear Customer Services,

I may have put 2015 in error when I signed up as a new customer, could you please check that it is 9th March 2016 and not 2015, as this is the date I purchased the property. I'm not responsible for any charges before that date.

Regards
    Aaron

Their reply back today:
    Thank you for taking the time to email our Customer Service Department on 12 March 2016 regarding the above account.

I can confirm that your above account has been opened as of 10 March 2016.

If you have any other queries, please contact us on 0333 000 11 22.

Not very helpful...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport