We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you ...

Options
124»

Comments

• view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Nice post enjoyyourshoes!

Definitely agree!
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, but it will be very tiring at first. I went back to work 2 days 45 mins each way commute and it worked out fine.

Working part time did slow but not stop my career progression; although that is also partly due to me not being that interested in promotion for a while.

I think part time working is a good compromise or it was for me anyway
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    view wrote: »
    Thank you everyone!! Really appreciate your input. *I think* decision made. ( for the person who asked, cCommute would be an hour in peak)

Role is in marketing and only up until next January so a good *taster* is what I'm thinking.

Now just need to get my head around leaving my only child in the care of someone else. I have no family to help out so he's not used to being away from me, but he'll probably love it, right?!

Sounds like a great opportunity for both of you. Does a child good to learn to be fine amongst other adults and to mix with other children from as early an age as possible. Admittedly it wasn't until I had my second that I felt truly comfortable doing this myself. Wished I had done it earlier than I did because he flourished and embraced going to school with no issues at all. Well done you for securing such a fab role
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • ravilious_fan
    Options
    view wrote: »
    ....Travel just over 50 miles return (by car) each day including an early nursery drop off for three days work a week if it meant you had £450 leftover after all bills each month?

Thanks for replies. Commute would take an hour each way. Hours would be 24 over three days. Baby boy is 14 months. New career I would like to get into. Can stay at home however zero savings. Trying to get a mortgage next year so need to save for deposit.

Not sure whether to keep staying at home, as you don't get the time back with your child, or bite the hand off a new employer who is being very flex and could be the start of a new career once I'm ready to go back full time...

Many people do leave their very young child in a nursery for 12 hours a day, but personally I wouldn't, unless it were really unavoidable.

You also need to think about how you are going to manage doing 2 jobs instead of one! (your paid job, and running a home). Brilliant if you have a partner who can go halves with you for the house chores, but it's a rare thing, unfortunately. I think I read somewhere that women do 97% of the housework, even if they work full time.

I suppose what I'm trying to say, in short, is don't try and spread yourself too thin. :) Or you'll end up tired and snappy at work AND at home. It happens quite a lot, and it's not fair on the mum, the baby, or the work colleagues.
    sealed pot challenge 9 #004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport