We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you ...

Options

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends what the alternative is, but sound like a good option to me!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    All depends on the alternatives?

For example, if it was that or live on benefits barely above the breadline then yes I would.

If the alternative was a job 5 minutes up the road that only left me £100 after bills then I would probably take the alternative.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pros:
    • Its a good opportunity to break into a career you want
    • Its only 3 days, leaving you 4 full days off each week with the little one
    • Its well paid enough to leave you with a decent amount after bills (is that after food, petrol, nappies etc. too?)
    • It will be a big plus when you apply for your mortgage

Cons
    • Its a lot of driving, high petrol costs, wear and tear on car
    • Have you considered the impact of rush hour traffic on your journey time?
    • 3 days a week where you won't see much of the baby

Sounds like a fairly easy decision to me...
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    As wonderful as it is to stay home with the baby, 3 days working away doesn't sound so bad. Particularly if it is something you would like to do, and if you could do with the money.

An hour's commute is a long time to be driving, get some good music for the car!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • Petra_70
    Petra_70 Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Pros:
    • Its a good opportunity to break into a career you want
    • Its only 3 days, leaving you 4 full days off each week with the little one
    • Its well paid enough to leave you with a decent amount after bills (is that after food, petrol, nappies etc. too?)
    • It will be a big plus when you apply for your mortgage

Cons
    • Its a lot of driving, high petrol costs, wear and tear on car
    • Have you considered the impact of rush hour traffic on your journey time?
    • 3 days a week where you won't see much of the baby

Sounds like a fairly easy decision to me...

This ^^^ There are cons of course, but the pros outweigh them. That said, I would not want to do it indefinitely. But for a short while yes.

Go for it and good luck! :)
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, now is a good time to get yourself established as nursery times are easier to work around than school hours. Only you know how your baby would be with this and how you would feel about being away from him. Hope it all works out well for you either way :-)
  • view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Really appreciate your input. *I think* decision made. ( for the person who asked, cCommute would be an hour in peak)

Role is in marketing and only up until next January so a good *taster* is what I'm thinking.

Now just need to get my head around leaving my only child in the care of someone else. I have no family to help out so he's not used to being away from me, but he'll probably love it, right?!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like a good opportunity. And most kids get on extremely well at nursery.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've just posted my experience of dropping to three days a week from full-time with a baby on another thread . Coming from the other direction to you but yes I found with really good childcare working three days a week was a great balance for me. I kept my professional options open (which paid off very nicely later on) and still got lots of Mum time.

If you are in a position that you can save that amount every month it would certainly be a huge advantage when it comes to house buying too.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes. I might not if the job was full time, but I'd jump at it for three days.

I'm assuming the child care is good.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure