Would you ...

Options
view
view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 March 2016 at 10:35AM in Marriage, relationships & families
....Travel just over 50 miles return (by car) each day including an early nursery drop off for three days work a week if it meant you had £450 leftover after all bills each month?

Thanks for replies. Commute would take an hour each way. Hours would be 24 over three days. Baby boy is 14 months. New career I would like to get into. Can stay at home however zero savings. Trying to get a mortgage next year so need to save for deposit.

Not sure whether to keep staying at home, as you don't get the time back with your child, or bite the hand off a new employer who is being very flex and could be the start of a new career once I'm ready to go back full time...

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. Unless I could get better elsewhere.
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. I could do a lot with £450 surplus each month. Some people are lucky to break even once bills are paid.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I needed the money, yes, of course, and a lot worse.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me.
  • curty510
    curty510 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    yes of course.
    debt free, savings in the bank
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Depends how long it would take, and what the traffic is usually like. I do 12 miles in the morning but it often takes more than an hour. If I'd known it would be that bad I probably wouldn't have taken the job. Have you done the journey at rush hour?
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on the job: If I liked it and it would keep my skills/CV up to date ready for when the children are more independent, yes. If it was a fairly standard job in a field which was easy to get into/return to, no: I'd probably just get a part-time job locally where I didn't need childcare (such as evenings in a supermarket or pub) in that situation.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This equates to £5,400 pa - someone working 15.5 hours a week, minimum wage, would bring that home (less NI, of course) - so yes it would be worth it.
  • view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2016 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Thanks for replies. Commute would take an hour each way. Hours would be 24 over three days. Baby boy is 14 months. New career I would like to get into. Can stay at home however zero savings. Trying to get a mortgage next year so need to save for deposit.

Not sure whether to keep staying at home, as you don't get the time back with your child, or bite the hand off a new employer who is being very flex and could be the start of a new career once I'm ready to go back full time...
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Yes. No question.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport