Help needed arguing Esure's valuation

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How would a local reputable dealer value the car?
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    How would a local reputable dealer value the car?

Reputable = any dealer that agrees with the OP.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • dacouch
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »
    Reputable = any dealer that agrees with the OP.

Or would it a reputable garage is one that does not refer to trade guides to assist them in valuing a used car
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Options
    Or would it a reputable garage is one that does not refer to trade guides to assist them in valuing a used car

Which they all do....
  • dacouch
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Which they all do....

So basically maddogp's new system would achieve the same result as the current system but would add a layer of A bureaucracy.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    maddogb wrote: »
    2. Using "historical data"
    All the guides use historical data and compile it from sales past contradicting insurers own statement that the value of pay-out is fixed at time of loss.
    Its recent past rather than historical.

Anyway, its easier to use past data than future data.
  • dacouch
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Which they all do....

The same motor traders that maddob was accusing earlier of pressurising the motor trade price guides to force the prices down as well as the Insurance companies pressuring the trade guides to keep the prices down.

Although surely the motor traders would want to force the price guides to inflate the values
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So basically maddogp's new system would achieve the same result as the current system but would add a layer of A bureaucracy.
    ITYM a layer of gaming and fraud potential.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Options
    Although surely the motor traders would want to force the price guides to inflate the values

The guides are only an indication to the trade of what people might be prepared to pay for a particular car (retail price) and what the trade should typically bid for the car (trade price).

Its not an indicator of what people WILL pay
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maddogb wrote: »

So far I have not been given opportunity to do so, had I been more aware I might have been more forceful prior to this, having no experience of writeoff situations I trusted Esure to guide me, they have failed miserably to do so.

You had opportunity - they offer, you reject and supply evidence. I googled 'rejecting first car insurance offer' and there are loads of posts suggesting best course of action, and yes that includes finding examples to support your desire for better price.

I'd focus my energy on that rather that fix a system you think is broken. Is it too late for you to reject and do this? I'm not reading back over this to find out.

Just to add - they are a business, of course they will normally try and offer you the lowest price they can get away with. (Though actually when I wrote a car off years ago I had a brilliant first offer). It may cost you time proving a better valuation but it is the best way to get what you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure