Bensons Beds

Options
I ordered a bed form Bensons. They didn't deliver it when promised as they said it was out of stock. I rang the store and they agreed to refund delivery charge out of good will. The bed eventually came, without any problems, and a couple of months later head office sent me a letter apologising again for the problem with delivery and enclosing £25 Marks and Spencer vouchers, which I thought was very impressive.

Nice to get apologies without having to get riled at a company! The end result is, of course, only for their good: even though they failed to deliver, I come away from the experience not annoyed at their bad stock-management, but rather thinking - well, I'll gbuy something with them again as they seem fair and generous in their customer service. If only all companies took such an enlightened attitude...!

Comments

• Echo1_2
    Options
    Feb 08 - Can't say that our experience with Benson for Beds was any good at all. We ordered 2 sets of guest beds from them plus an extra mattress. We'd planned a Monday delivery and the previous Friday they got in touch to confirm that all was ok. We spent the Sunday moving our kids old beds into the garage ready for the Council to collect. On the Monday only 1 bed frame and 2 matresses were delivered (scratching our stairwell wall in the process). The customer services department were not at all concerned at the problems they were causing us, we arrange for another delivery on the following Friday, checked on the Thursday and it was confirmed. However on the Friday we were phoned at lunch time to say that there was no stock available that day - too late in the day to cancel that days annual leave. The same thing happened on a 3rd occasssion. Over a 10 week period we'd taken 3 days annual leave to await a non delivery, as we have young children this waste of leave was important to us. In the end we cancelled the remaining order and claimed the money back off our credit card company. We wrote to head office, rang customer services on numerous occassions but have received no satisfaction at all for the company wasting our time. Even if they are offering big discounts I wouldn't recomend using Bensons for Beds. You just have to look at reviews on similar websites to see that people all over the country are having similar problems with Benson for Beds. They're not worth the hassle of buying anything from. Whenever I hear that friends and colleagues are planning a bed purchase I always tell them to avoid Bensons. The opposite is the case for George Street Furnishers, we ordered the missing items from them and received them 10 days later - I can't praise them highly enough & they were slightly cheaper.
  • tenacioust123
    Options
    Nor mine.... We had no end of problems, including damaged items. We sent back 5 times because of the damage. They refused to discount for the damage. Then the items were out of stock, so we were stuck with them. I would avoid them like the plague.
  • alexm08
    alexm08 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    nor mine..

we ordered two beds and bensons only delivered one bed

since then my dads always called them bensons for 1 bed!
  • tavvy_2
    tavvy_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a wooden (laminate) bed from them.
    I dont put my bed against the wall (long story) but the back of the headboard is not laminated. I thought it was a fault and complained about shoddy workmanship and am told that it is supposed to look like that. They wont refund so I am stuck - so if you buy a bed from them check it thoroughly if its against the wall. A more disinterested lot I have never met.
  • chrisw76
    Options
    I've also had dramas recently with Bensons. I bought a suite of bedroom furniture and there have been pieces missing, holes not drilled, no grooves where there should be etc etc. After phoning the after sales dept i was put through to their quality control dept, who said it would be fine as the defect would only be visible when i opened the drawers, and where there were fixings missing just to wrap sellotape round it!

Their service has been particularly poor and there is a real disinterested attitude from their staff. I will never use them again!
  • MAGICMAN_2
    Options
    Bensons Beds Service was first class for my wife and I.
    Polite service.
    Prompt delivery.
    Contacted 1 hr before delivery as stated.
    Great Bed.
    Great price.
    Donno why everyone else here gripes about them.................
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MAGICMAN wrote: »

Errrr......... did you read the posts above? All of them except post #1 have had problems. That'll give you a clue as to why they've griped about them :rolleyes:.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My parents bought a bed from them. The first couple of nights were uncomfortable, but they just put it down to getting used to a firm mattress after years in a saggy bed. Then the springs started poking through the mattress cover so they realised it must be faulty.

My Mam went back to the shop to complain, but the manageress said they had no rights under the Sales of Goods Act because they had slept on the mattress :confused:

Mam had to take it to head office. She would have been happy with replacement mattress initially but after the way the manageress dealt with her, she took a refund and went elsewhere.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • devils_vixen
    Options
    Yep I have had my problems with Bensons too! I ordered a set of bunk beds, paid £60 deposit then end of the month, paid the rest. Was given my delivery date, and took day off work. Dismantled the wee one's bed but for some very strange reason, I never put this outside. Anyway by the time 4pm came I got really peeved. Phoned them and turns out the idiot in the shop did not put them through the computer for delivery even though I had told him when was suitable and he told me that was fine:mad:

I understandably went a bit mental on the phone then went over to the shop to claim my refund as they were then quoting me 6 weeks for delivery:eek: Will never give them a bean again! Think they may go out the box near me since we now have Dreams!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    MAGICMAN wrote: »
    Bensons Beds Service was first class for my wife and I.
    Polite service.
    Prompt delivery.
    Contacted 1 hr before delivery as stated.
    Great Bed.
    Great price.

Even they get it right occasionally :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport