Talk Talk not so "free" internet

Options
2»

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Your paying the base BT charge until TT enable your exchange with their LLU equipment. Ask TT when they will put their own equipment into your local exchane, if you don't like the answer....move on to another supplier.
  • piglet29
    piglet29 Posts: 6,214 Forumite
    Options
    I switched to Talk Talk Talk3 package several months ago (I'd have to check but off the top of my head, it must be going on 6 months by now) and I'm still having to pay £10 per month for my "free" internet.

When I first queried this they said that the £10 was the charge to BT for using their broadband and that I would have to pay it until Talk Talk could install their own equipment in the exchange.

At first, I though "fair enough", but after 6 months I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off going elsewhere, especially as we hardly use the landline phone anyway, so I'm not really seeing much benefit from the free calls and I'm also not getting free broadband either!!

Anyone else in this situation?

hi, we switched from AOL to talktalk in january of this year and even though we had a bt line i still had free broadband from the start. It took a while to get it sorted, (i was in a queue for my broadband order for three months!!)but once it was up and running it is great. no losing connection like we used to with AOL, three weeks ago talktalk ran their own lines into our local exchange and our broadband speed is a lot faster now too .When i first decided to sign up for talktalk broadband their free internet was "Unavailable in our area" and it would have cost me £10 a month too, but as i still had two months left of my AOL contract i just waited and tried again a few weeks later and it was then available so i joined, but what i couldnt understand was if they have only just run their own lines to our exchange how have i been having free broadband since January? very :confused::confused: puzzling!!!:confused:
    A freebie a day sends a smile my way!
    Night Owl member No 9 :kisses2:
    I Started out with nothing.....still have most of it left:o
  • TalkTalkBoy
    Options
    piglet29 wrote: »
    hi, we switched from AOL to talktalk in january of this year and even though we had a bt line i still had free broadband from the start. It took a while to get it sorted, (i was in a queue for my broadband order for three months!!)but once it was up and running it is great. no losing connection like we used to with AOL, three weeks ago talktalk ran their own lines into our local exchange and our broadband speed is a lot faster now too .When i first decided to sign up for talktalk broadband their free internet was "Unavailable in our area" and it would have cost me £10 a month too, but as i still had two months left of my AOL contract i just waited and tried again a few weeks later and it was then available so i joined, but what i couldnt understand was if they have only just run their own lines to our exchange how have i been having free broadband since January? very :confused::confused: puzzling!!!:confused:

If there is plans to unbundle your exchange then you will be placed on a temporary BT service at no extra cost until your exchange is unbundled.

If there are no plans to upgrade your exchange then you will be charged 10.00/month for the cost of going theough BT's equipment for the forseable future.

If TT change theyre minds and decide to upgrade the exchange, you will be transferred onto free broadband from 10.00 broaband automaticlly when this becomes available.
  • Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just thought I'd resurrect this post - I'm still paying £10 for my "free" broadband!! :rolleyes:
    Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
    ● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
    ● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
    Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73
  • bright_spark_5
    Options
    For the phone, best deal is primus saver option 2 - free evening / weekend calls at no cost per month...

Add penny mobile for any mobile call less than 20 minutes to cost only 20p

Also use Orchid dialler

Make sure your line rental stays with BT - don't move it to another provider....

Do you have an O2 contact mobile phone? - £7.50 per month

Primus is £14.99 per month... not a great deal !

but is £14.99 for BB + free evening / weekend calls

I'm not sure who offers the cheapest unbundled service at the moment...

RedTen http://www.redteninternet.com/ is £12.99 3 yr tie in but get a free PC.... 8mg service is in your area....

I did try to switch to them last year, but after 3 month's of trying and having no connection - gave up...

I'm aware of others who have been happy though....
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought I'd resurrect this post - I'm still paying £10 for my "free" broadband!! :rolleyes:

They have been known to charge people in error after their exchange has been unbundled.

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=644013

Check to see if it has been unbundled,and if it has ask for refund.

U can check here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-league.php?type=cpw
  • Dithering_Dad
    Options
    jhp wrote: »
    They have been known to charge people in error after their exchange has been unbundled.

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=644013

Check to see if it has been unbundled,and if it has ask for refund.

U can check here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-league.php?type=cpw

That "samknows" link was brill, it showed me that my exchange had been unbundled, but that I was still being charged £10 per month by Talk Talk. One quick phone call and they have cancelled my direct debit and are refunding my overpayments. Cheers for that link.

To anyone else who is with Talk Talk and still paying the £10 broadband charge - check the link as well!!
    Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
    ● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
    ● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
    Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills