Talk Talk not so "free" internet

Options
I switched to Talk Talk Talk3 package several months ago (I'd have to check but off the top of my head, it must be going on 6 months by now) and I'm still having to pay £10 per month for my "free" internet.

When I first queried this they said that the £10 was the charge to BT for using their broadband and that I would have to pay it until Talk Talk could install their own equipment in the exchange.

At first, I though "fair enough", but after 6 months I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off going elsewhere, especially as we hardly use the landline phone anyway, so I'm not really seeing much benefit from the free calls and I'm also not getting free broadband either!!

Anyone else in this situation?
Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
[strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well you will have agreed to an 18 month contract won't you? Can you get BB for £10 per month elsewhere?
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    dunno, I haven't looked. I was supposed to be getting it for free rather than having to pay £10 per month!
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Talk talk would have pointed out that your local exchange had not been unbundled so you would have to pay towards using BTs network when you signed up.
    If you put your exchange details into samknows it might give you an idea when you will be going onto an LLU line.
    Or better still give CPW some grief.

PS Sky customers have to pay around £17 where the local exchange hasn't been unbundled, and £5 if the unbundling is within 6 months.

Beware if CPW unbundle your voice cct as well you will be stuck with using their broadband service.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • going2die_rich
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Well you will have agreed to an 18 month contract won't you? Can you get BB for £10 per month elsewhere?

If I spat on you for a pound and no one else would spit on you for any less than a pound would you stay around for me to spit on you some more?

What sort of idiot are you. Also it isn't 10 since you are still paying the Talk Talk package cost too, so it's like £30.

Obviously the OP shouldn't be paying £10 for the so called "free" internet. My suggestion, complain that you expected free broadband and they never delivered so you want out of the contract for free. You should have been told from day 1 if you wouldn't get free broadband and that should have lead to you looking else where to begin with. Tiscali are doing a free broadband offer with their telephone now. Go their if you want a package deal. It's also uncapped (fair usage) which is better than the 40Gbs you get with Talk Talk.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I spat on you for a pound and no one else would spit on you for any less than a pound would you stay around for me to spit on you some more?

What sort of idiot are you. Also it isn't 10 since you are still paying the Talk Talk package cost too, so it's like £30.

Obviously the OP shouldn't be paying £10 for the so called "free" internet. My suggestion, complain that you expected free broadband and they never delivered so you want out of the contract for free. You should have been told from day 1 if you wouldn't get free broadband and that should have lead to you looking else where to begin with. Tiscali are doing a free broadband offer with their telephone now. Go their if you want a package deal. It's also uncapped (fair usage) which is better than the 40Gbs you get with Talk Talk.

:rotfl:

The £70 early contract termination fee needs to be taken into consideration and as for Tiscali, you are the idiot or must be joking!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options

Well if the OP read the terms & conditions they clearly state that if their local exchange isnt 'unbundled' from the BT Network then it will cost £10 a month. Surely you should have noticed that on their adverts, 'idiot'?
  • Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oi! Who are you calling an idiot!! :rotfl:

As I said on the initial post, I accepted that it was "fair enough" to charge if I am using BT equipment, but just how long does it take to sort out? Will I be paying this charge forever more?
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    Oi! Who are you calling an idiot!! :rotfl:

Not you :p Just the chap whose post i quoted :)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which exchange are you on Mr Dither?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • TalkTalkBoy
    Options
    If you are paying £10/month at the moment, there will be no current plans to unbundle your exchange. Talktalk where correct in saying that if they do upgrade your exchange your broadband would then become free. Do you have a contract statinf £0 or £10/month ?

It is more than likely when you signed up you agreed to the £10/month and will be obliged to uphold the 18 month contract if this was the case. If however you dispute this and believe that it was over a recorded telephone call or written down in an agreement somewhere you can request a sales compliance be raised.

If it is agreed that your complaint is upheald then it is likely you will either be given the option of a cessation at no cessation fee or either 3 months free broadband with an agreement to pay after this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure