Sony Manufacturer's Warranty

Hi
This is my first post, so please forgive me if I've got anything wrong.

I bought a second hand Sony TV from an auction house in the north on the 15th Jan 2016 which has a company contract with a very major high street retailer, since they name the retailer on their auction titles (JL).

I rang Sony to ask if the the tv was still within the the Manufacturer's 12 month warranty. To cut a long story short I gave them all the info I could including the serial number and they even got me to look at the back of the tv and advised me to find the date of manufacture which I was able to confirm was November 2015.

Sony say they won't honour the manufacturer's guarantee unless I can provide the name of the original retailer and date of sale which obviously I don't have and the auction house can't give me.
Given Sony have confirmed that the tv was manufactured in November, and so potentially has upto 8 months warranty left, how do I get them to honour this?

Any help would be gratefully received and much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Comments

• mangopabs wrote: »
    Given Sony have confirmed that the tv was manufactured in November, and so potentially has upto 8 months warranty left, how do I get them to honour this?
    You can't.

The warranty is only with the original purchaser.

Why do you want the warranty, anyhow? You've bought perfectly serviceable second-hand equipment but want it to be treated as brand new?

Never going to happen.

(The TV will likely last at least 8-10 years, regardless..)
  • Thanks Moneyineptitude for the response.

It was just that I wanted it to be covered for the next few months and then I would get one of those insurance plans in case it broke down. So instead of taking it out now, I'd rather take it out in 8 months time!

Thanks
  • As you bought the TV second-hand, I doubt you'll be able to purchase an extended warranty either.

Warranties are for brand new equipment only.
  • Cheers, any advice helps
    Domestic & General quoted me £4pm, although he did have to put me on hold while he checked about the auction house thing!

Thanks
  • waste of £4 a month...
  • Ok, but just in case...

Thanks for responding to this MSE Forum virgin!
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2016 at 12:25AM
    mangopabs wrote: »
    Ok, but just in case...

Thanks for responding to this MSE Forum virgin!

If they are from John Lewis (and its possibly more likely the auctioneers just used that name for sheen) there is a reason John Lewis had that TV returned to them and decided to chuck it to auction. I see most of their returns for sale in store.

But as has been said the warranty will not apply and im guessing the auction house wont be much help if things go wrong.

So make sure any warranty firms send you the terms, read them and do the maths compared to just putting the money in a pot.
    Hopefully you brought super cheap so £4 a month might be not too bad if this sort of thing worries you.

Edit: Looks like Johnpye.co.uk auction off old JL stock. Looks interesting might pop along.
  • mangopabs
    mangopabs Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 February 2016 at 12:33AM
    Cheers Kurtis
    I did buy quite cheap. A KD49X8305C for £220, and is defo a JL item since they haven't quite removed all labels.

I can't complain really!

Thanks
  • mangopabs wrote: »
    I did buy quite cheap. A KD49X8305C for £220, and is defo a JL item
    So why increase the cost of this set by a needless £48 a year?

If the set does fail, just buy another second hand one!
  • Good point Money
    I can always get another.
    Shame Sony won't honour the warranty though.
    Is there no way round it?

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family