Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 March 2016 at 8:29AM
    Fingers crossed for you for the mortgage.

That is really an eye watering amount if the flat doesn't sell:eek:

Yes definitely EatingtheElephant! :eek: fingers crossed we have long enough before we get our house (estimate is September currently) to sell! Fingers & everything crossed!

Today we should hear back from the mortgage broker.

I'm hoping for a NSD today- I have a meeting for work and as my boss is there they'll usually provide coffees and some lunch (fingers crossed!). I'll have to pay for parking upfront but will then claim that back.

I'm then off to my flat for a whizz round tidying up as the letting agents want to show people round tomorrow and it's like a bomb site :O so quick Hoover, lots of box shifting and it should at least look suitable for viewings! Hoping while I have use of work car I can bring a few boxes to the in-laws too. Only 14 days until move out day!

Planning car boot at weekend to get rid of the clutter, as long as rain isn't forecast we should be there selling our wares! :) promised the gf a sausage cob for her efforts, and will pack a thermos or two as well as pack up to prevent is buying all the hot food there!

4 things relistedon fleabay last night on 5 day listings, so if they don't shift into the boot sale pile they go!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    So this week has been a pretty pants work week....however I did get to go for a lovely meal with the gf on the one evening this week she's not been away with work. Really nice to go out and just relax and chat. Well worth the £29 spent between us :love:

Received an email late on Wednesday welcoming us to our Clydesdale mortgage.....so I'm really really waiting for the mortgage advisors call (he's been on a/leave to talk it all through)

It allows overpayments up to 10% which is fab, so our budget spreadsheet now have a mortgage tab with the two years of payments, interests and a space for overpayment in with formulas to do the calculating *squeal*

Also spoke with a number of friends who are tradesman re cost for the house builders to do work vs what they would cost so that we can start planning and budgeting for work needed at move in!

I am trying really hard not to get too excited, until the application is sorted (I think this is the pre application approval).

Planned car boot to declutter and raise some funds is probably postponed due to potential snow on Sunday :eek::eek:
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just popping in here to say hello! You sound really organised, hope you get the mortage sorted.
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Kittenkirst
    Thanks Debtfreeoneday, hoping by being as organised as possible we can get everything off to a good start :-)

Today is all about the packing and shifting!
    About to get up, have some coffee & brekkie then off to my flat to do some mass packing. Must find more boxes out first though eeek

Friend with a van is coming at 3 to move my three if furniture pieces (chest freezer- will go in garage for now, bookcase and silversmithing bench will go in storage above shop- hoping to still be able to use silver bench for the six months staying here :-)

Gf is travelling back this morning as got stuck overnight due to snow- seems to have thawed enough to get her home. Will excitedly call mortgage advisor when she's back- excccccited!!

Off to a friends after all the shifting, to watch some House of Cards- so excited about the new season- and some nibbles!
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    have a nice weekend..
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Kittenkirst
    Soooo spoke with the mortgage guy yesterday and have paid the valuation fee to start the application with Clydesdale bank.

Fixed rate for two years at 2.99% so not too bad- could be better but limited choice due to LTV on new build and the existing flat the gf rents out.

Car boot done today and made £70 after the fee and petrol there & back so loads of clutter gone and more pennies for the pot. More listings to be done tonight for eBay after a nice lunch with the gf's mum for Mother's Day :love:

Happy Mother's Day to all x
  • robgoode
    robgoode Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Fingers crossed everything goes well for you. I'm currently in the process of saving up a deposit with my partner. Both just opened up HTB ISA so hopefully in a years time we are ready to get our own space. Will be following your journey and taking notes to try and help us when we get round to applying for mortgages etc.
  • Kittenkirst
    Hi Robgoode! The help to buy isa's are a fantastic savings plan, good luck with the savings :)

So yesterday was a bit of a dull day however it was a no spend day (NSD)- took packed lunch & breakfast to work and had use up supper of toad in the hole with onion gravy! When moving my stuff I've discovered I'm a bit of a stockpiler....6 packs sausages in freezer, 6 types of flour in the pantry, 5 new lip balms (& a tonne of open in-use ones!)

Also updated our budget spreadsheet together- a little geeky but quite nice to do together as we're working on our together home!

So time to start using this stuff up and get sensible with the ££!

Had a few eBay sales at weekend so they are all packaged to nip to post office later today, also paying in my half of the car boot proceeds to the bank to prevent frittering it away.

Have 9 days before the flat keys are handed in so more packing & cleaning to do. Have a lovely reward of a weekend in Rome just after that I'm very much looking forward to (was a Christmas present for the girlfriend :love: ) Soooooo excited!! Plus it's budgeted for on both our sheets so will not worry about pennies in Rome (will beforehand to get best transport to airport etc!)

Silversmith class tonight- must avoid Starbucks on route- will have a cuppa at my friends beforehand, much more sociable & less spends (may even take a latte sachet with me for frothy coffee goodness without the cost!)

Hope all are having fab weeks!
  • Looking great on all fronts there! What a lovely treat to look forward to a trip to Rome.
  • Kittenkirst
    So silversmithing class didn't happen as I was still logged on and working until late, didn't realize the time and then it was too late to go :-(

Positive side is other than the post office trip today was a no spend day. I count the post office as still no spend as it is pre paid but the buyers from EBay! :-D

Tomorrow is a new day, nice early 10pm bedtime for me tonight and hopefully tomorrow will be a better time!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback