Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Comments

• Save_Me_3
    Save_Me_3 Posts: 263 Forumite
    BB78 wrote: »
    I applied for & was accepted for a full Warm Front grant but basically can't get anything done because I live in a maisonette!
    I want to have cavity wall insulation but Warm Front keep saying no because upstairs would have to be done too, I keep telling them that upstairs want theirs done & the owner of the upstairs flat has also contacted them but we aren't getting anywhere! :mad:
    I get a full grant because I am on benefits but from what I've been reading even if the owners of upstairs aren't entitled to a full grant they would be eligible to have it installed at a subsidised cost (about £200). We’ve tried asking for a quote if one of us has got to pay towards it but still aren’t getting anywhere!!
    I can’t find any terms & conditions that state you are not eligible for cavity wall insulation on the grant if you live in a flat/maisonette but the way things stand at the moment, we either both have to go without or I have to pay for something I can have for free!!
    :confused:

B&Q have a deal on at the mo for cavity wall insulation £184 for a 3 bed semi.
    Win £2008 in 2008 member 236
    Januarys Wins £322 & signed Rugby ball
    Febuary Wins: £40
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    I think this goes over the "no advertising" threshold.

If the poster could offer interesting insights into the cowboy industry of grab the grant but not bother to do a careful job. it would be more interesting and forgiveable.

I'm thinking of a job done on an elderly relatives' home, where the lengths of wall covered by a nasty thorny bush don't seem to need to be insulated!
    The tile hung sections are more understandable. I think I would like to see every installation being subject to an infra red photograph at the depth of next winter to see which bits of the walls have "voids" in the insulation.
  • Hi there

I am writing this on behalf of a colleague of mine. She is 74, lives in Chesterfield (Derbyshire), and has recently lost her husband. Thanks to Warm Front she is about to have loft and cavity wall insulation fitted for free, and also help towards changing her hardwood back door for a security double glazed unit (she already has double glazed windows).

However, she is still understandably nervous about her security, given that she is very small, and now lives on her own. I was wondering, does anyone know if there are any security grants or help schemes around, to help towards the cost of, for example, a basic alarm system? This would obviously be a great help for her, as she only works a couple of hours a week and is on basic state pension.

Many Thanks in advance all!
    Debt at 'ephiphany': £13,500 (March 1st) :eek:
    Money made from ebay 2009: £130 (£600 2008)
    Money made so far in 2009 from Mystery Shopping: £0 (£200 2008)
    ***1st March 2009 - begun claims from Halifax, Capital One and Arcadia RE unfair charges and missold PPI... Fingers crossed!!
  • to steelercaz13
    check out the Help the Aged security installations available. We had a call from them for a visit from their adviser/installer. He arrived and installed 19 window locks, 2 smoke alarms, 1 co detector alarm and a new lock and handles on the front door. All free and well done. He also mentioned that their trained installers are starting in a new
    scheme for small repairs. All free to over 60s.
    We are very pleased with the work done. Just hope the loft insulation on Friday thro Brit Gas is as good.
  • A couple of days ago, I received a phone call from someone called "Home Energy Saver" talking about insulation grants. They've passed my information onto a "Warm-Space Insulation Limited" to contact me.

The only Home Energy Saver I can find on the web is a US scheme. Warm-Space have a near blank web site saying "will be updated soon".

Has anyone heard of these? Are they a scam or a genuine scheme like the EnergySavingTrust mentioned in the Grant Grabbing section?

Paul
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    There are some verging on cowboy firms trying to get in on the act of "farming" the government grants. I would advise personal recommendation or seeing examples of their work before agreeing to anything sold over the 'phone. See my post #33 above.
  • Nice thread
  • i phoned the council 10 weeks ago about a grant for loft and cavity wall insulation. we are entitled to the full grant. i was told that i would be contacted within 4 weeks. after 5 i rang asking why i hadnt heard and they said due to a huge influx of claims that i could wait up to 6 weeks from my first call. so duely at 6.5 weeks i rang. still too many applications. they will get back to me at 8.5 weeks i rang again STILL no answers. i applied directly to warm front online who said they would contact me within 1 week. the week ran out yesterday

what can i do? i intend on ringing warm front tomorrow to make some enquiries but the receptionist or whoever she is at the council is completely useless and keeps palming me off with excuses. should i ask to speak to her superior?
  • Hey

Just to say that Warm Front Grants are from £2700-£4000 and are available for boiler repair/replacement [if the current system isn't working properly], cavity wall & loft insulation, draught proofing, central heating [if there isn't heating in 3 living areas or more] or other kinds of heating.

A lot more people are eligible than actually think that they are. You have to own your home or rent privately and be in receipt of particular government benefits, tax credits or health allowances. But just having pension credit or child tax credit and an income under £15460 can qualify you so it's definitely worth trying to claim the grant.

Something worth noting is that it has to be the homeowner or their spouse/partner that currently receives the benefits and it can't be a child as then you wouldn't qualify.

Also, there is the Warm Front 300 voucher which is available to those over the age of 60 and is £300 towards the cost of boiler/heating work. This is only available to those not receiving benefits [but it's definitely worth checking out whether you're eligible for any qualifying benefits because then you could get the full £2700].

There is furthermore the CERT [carbon emissions reduction target] scheme which aims to cut carbon emissions by providing insulation in homes. I think that you can get free cavity wall&loft insulation if you're over 70. If you are under this age then you can get it at a heavily subsidised rate - from 50% to 66% off the price.

It's also always worth giving the Energy Savings Advice centre a ring to see if there are any local schemes in place in your area to cut down on the costs of these things.

Hope this helps!
  • Karfypie wrote: »
    I'm disabled and can't afford to pay for any decorating and am not able to carry out any decorating is there any way i could get help with this? As I've only found grants for things like disability adaptations and the two local sort of care and repair services don't do decorating.

Any help or advice would be great! Thanks, Katharine

I have been trying to find out about decorating grants for several years and no joy so far. If I won the lottery I will set up a trust for that.
    Be nice to people who are on their way down
    You never know when they are going to pass you on their way back up again
    You cannot light your own candle by blowing out someone else's
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family