Wooo, up yours BarclayCard!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
38 replies 3.2K views
HeadInSand_2HeadInSand_2 Forumite
394 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Just paid off remainder of balance online with debit card (£120), was around a thousand about 3 months ago, great feeling :)
Can't wait to call them tomorrow evening (usually takes a working day for funds to clear off account) and tell them to firmly shove the card up their backside :) Will probably have a few pounds to pay in accrued interest for this month to close the account but who cares, it's gone!
Well, down from momentary high, back to the snowballing in hand, 1 down, 4 to go, next is MBNA with £1300 left on it, going to aim to put £300 to £400 a month on it, would be great to kill it off before 2008 arrives. My main job is monthly paid, my other job is weekly paid, will try and put all money earnt from 2nd job off card every week too. On a mission now.

Debt free by (or maybe in) 2009...

Replies

• toliptolip Forumite
    43 Posts
    Well Done

Its a great feeling when you call them to cancel the card after just having paid if off, especially when they try and persude you not to cancel!!!

Shove your card !! I just had the same conversation wth Co-Op Visa card people. No Card, No Statements .... Great

Well Done.
  • exel1966exel1966 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    And what exactly did Barclaycard do wrong ?
  • Stephen_LeakStephen_Leak
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    exel1966 wrote: »

Probably nothing. However, having the right to do something does not necessarily mean that it is right to do it.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • exel1966 wrote: »
    usury aka extortionate money lending
  • kizzykizzywizzykizzykizzywizzy Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, it sounds like you're really working hard to clear your debt!
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner :beer:

Married my best friend 15/4/16 :)
  • Just called and cancelled :D

Them: "Why do you want to cancel?"
    Me: "Because Barclaycard are bullies and also charged me £12 for being a day late with a payment earlier this year"
    Them: "Would you consid..."
    Me: "No, just close it"
    Them: "But we can..."
    Me: "No, I'm telling you to close it, so close it"

A few pauses and then he did as I asked, I was intentionally unpleasant (I'm generally a polite chap!), I know it wasn't his fault personally but it was nice telling them what to do for a change, they finally have no say over my life :)
  • HeadInSand wrote: »
    Just called and cancelled :D

Them: "Why do you want to cancel?"
    Me: "Because Barclaycard are bullies and also charged me £12 for being a day late with a payment earlier this year"
    Them: "Would you consid..."
    Me: "No, just close it"
    Them: "But we can..."
    Me: "No, I'm telling you to close it, so close it"

A few pauses and then he did as I asked, I was intentionally unpleasant (I'm generally a polite chap!), I know it wasn't his fault personally but it was nice telling them what to do for a change, they finally have no say over my life :)

I think you earned the right to be unpleasant! Well done you!!
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • Yeah, well done for being unpleasant to someone who was only doing their job. I can understand your frustration with how an organisation like Barclaycard runs its affairs but I don't see that that justifies being unpleasant to one of its employees who after all had nothing to do with you making a late payment.
  • Yeah, well done for being unpleasant to someone who was only doing their job. I can understand your frustration with how an organisation like Barclaycard runs its affairs but I don't see that that justifies being unpleasant to one of its employees who after all had nothing to do with you making a late payment.

Yup made me feel a whole lot better, and I shall do it to every creditor as and when I pay it off. They chose that job, they ought to expect some stick.
    Anyway - *he* was the one trying to persuade me to keep the card etc, which deserved my response, nothing to do with my payment being late, he asked why I was closing I gave him the reason, then he went on trying to sell me something I didn't want - *THAT* is what earnt him my response.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals