no paperwork to query ppi

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
12 replies 1.2K views
willPwillP Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Hi,

I'm going through all my finances at the moment and figured I should make the effort to try and reclaim any PPI I may have paid over the years. I wanted to start with DFS & Currys credit agreement from about 9-10 years ago however I no longer have the paperwork to see if I was unwittingly sold PPI. Has anyone had this issue before and managed to get replaced documents? If so, how would I go about getting this?

Thanks
Will.

Replies

• amersallamersall Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will not have kept records from 10 years ago, as you have no paperwork either, there is nothing you can do I am afraid.

• edited 1 February 2016 at 5:46PM
    ASingleParentASingleParent Forumite
    32 Posts
    edited 1 February 2016 at 5:46PM
    I'm having the same issue, 16+ years ago the store card relates to, no paperwork, no account number or anything but I some searching to find out who my store card was financed by and rang them, Santander. They found me straight away by date of birth and address. They took my complaint over the phone and are now processing it.

So definitely don't write off anything 10+ years ago. Good luck!
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue, 16+ years ago the store card relates to, no paperwork, no account number or anything but I some searching to find out who my store card was financed by and rang them, Santander. They found me straight away by date of birth and address. They took my complaint over the phone and are now processing it.

So definitely don't write off anything 10+ years ago. Good luck!

The key question is when your card was closed - anything over 6 years is likely to be deleted under the Data Protection Act - a cynic might suggest institutions being more pro-active with closed accounts
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • If I'm honest I don't know if it was ever closed, I may have just stopped using it and destroyed the card, I expect I can find out now.

I also inquired separately about a closed car finance from years ago and was told it could be traced via old bank direct debits and all they needed was the ref from that, so there does seem to be ways to do claims from way back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If I'm honest I don't know if it was ever closed, I may have just stopped using it and destroyed the card
    After years of inactivity, the Bank will have written to you stating that the account would be closed.
  • It was a store card, so the bank wouldn't have been in touch I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It was a store card, so the bank wouldn't have been in touch I guess.
    It'll still be a closed account years later.
  • Seems even with closed accounts though they can still investigate and process complaints, otherwise it would be a straight 'we can't help' after ringing them up.
  • edited 1 February 2016 at 9:44PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 1 February 2016 at 9:44PM
    Seems even with closed accounts though they can still investigate and process complaints, otherwise it would be a straight 'we can't help' after ringing them up.
    I doubt you'll gets any joy at all "ringing them up". The call centres won't have information about previous customers available to them and even if they did they certainly won't give out personal financial information over the 'phone. The other poster rang a bank (Santander) not Curry's and definitely had PPI. You do not even know if you had it.
    You can, however, write requesting a Subject Access Request (SAR) for a fee of £10, but as the others have said there is unlikely to be anything kept on file after ten years.
  • I'm the 'other' poster...hee hee. I expect the OP would, like I did, find out who the finance was actually provided by, and get in touch with them, not the shop where it was sold.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals