No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries February 2016

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hb21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the new thread. I'm pleased I used up 10 items in January but none of them were makeup and it's my makeup stash that is really too big at the minute. I can't decide on the best strategy to start using it up. Should I, for example, choose one lipstick I want to finish and just wear it every day until it's gone or should I wear different things each day until they wear down? What do other people do?
    My 6 for spring are:
    L'Or!al true match pressed powder
    Clinique buttershine lipstick in Berry Blush
    No7 lovely lashes mascara
    MAC eyeshadow in All That Glitters
    MAC blusher in Well Dressed
    Crazy Rumors Amaretto lip balm

The powder, eyeshadow and blusher are all showing pan. The blusher looks like it has the thinnest ring ever around the edge but it never seems to go down now!
    Other than that, any toiletry/skincare bits are a bonus. I'm aiming to get toiletries and skincare down to a one in, one out system. I think I need to decide on reasonable amounts to own for makeup because I do like to have a choice of shades.

I'm using certain eye shadows and a blusher constantly but mix up my lip and nail colours so I don't get bored. My blush is like yours and I've started using it as eyeshadow too. Could you do this?
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • DreamyP
    DreamyP Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post
    hb21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the new thread. I'm pleased I used up 10 items in January but none of them were makeup and it's my makeup stash that is really too big at the minute. I can't decide on the best strategy to start using it up. Should I, for example, choose one lipstick I want to finish and just wear it every day until it's gone or should I wear different things each day until they wear down? What do other people do?

Hi what I did before I started this was cleared out any of my 'old' stuff or things I didn't touch for a while especially things that did not make me happy. You know that stuff you wear just for the sake of using it up. I've used the same lip laquer since August 15 everyday with sometimes a lipstick or lipliner underneath (to add different tones) and I can only see the sides getting clear just now.

My MUA bronzer which I started using everyday since September has hit pan midway Jan... same with my Sue Moxley face powder. I was like wow why do I have so many things when it took me 5 months to hit pan even though I use these products everyday.

I've not bought makeup in a long time and don't watch any youtube project pan videos either because even by watching those I've been tempted to spend.

What changed my view was I went to abroad last year and realised all these I 'have' are unnecessary when there is so much more to life.
  • momobingu
    momobingu Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I also had a count of all the IN's that I received last month from friends and it added 30 new makeup/beauty/perfume items to my stash. I can't not accept a gift so I did manage to allocate a few as gifts to others to offset this.

I'm not really in the mood to buy anything lately (for once!) but I am going out shopping today and having a date day with the other half so we'll see if I'm strong enough to resist.
    No buying toiletries challenge
    2015: 1348 UU's & GA's
    2016: 649
  • asset2004
    asset2004 Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    Re the epilator - thanks for the suggestions :eek: TBH having read your reviews I'm not looking forward to it though! Will report back.

Still trying to declutter very slowly and tidying at the top of my stairs I found another 2 BS full sized gifts. Not sure I can find anyone else to gift these to as most of my friends have received BS gifts fairly frequently in one form or another :o
    Also found 5 x Marks & Spencer perfume and body lotion sets. :o Ooops. I do like the M&S perfume, and I bought them in the sale (obviously! :money:) but didn't realise I had quite so many ... :p
    Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
    Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you'll see further.
    Take time but don't waste time
  • Gemzie121
    Gemzie121 Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January 2016 at 3:00PM
    I've just had a sort out through my work sleep in bag, I haven't done sleep ins for 2 months now as I've been put on day shifts and don't know when I'll be back on my sleep ins again. So last night I had a thought that I should probably get the half used items out of the bag before they go off and get them used. Otherwise they will just be forgotten about. If and when I'm doing the sleep ins again I can always put fresh replacement items in. So I've added s few to pp list, a half used roll on, 3 body butters (Nspa one smells horrible so will use on feet), a body spray that feels very light. Also a half used pack of deodorant wipes and half used pack of face wipes (though I don't tend to count these in my stash maybe I should). Also a hand butter that also smells a bit gross probably could be re purposed for my feet on the very dry bits. Can replace all these with fresh items from my stash if I do a sleep in.

Also have a B&BW pocketbac holder coming that was ordered 2 week ago as I want to start keeping them on my set of keys to encourage me to get more in the habit of using them particularly at work or at the stables. If it's visibly there it'll be a reminder. I got my first pocketbac for in hospital and I did use it a lot but I keep forgetting to use them now. So I think I will start keeping one on me and get them used up. Definitely need to be using them at work as I am sick of catching everything going, and no matter how well you wash your hands I never feel clean enough. I don't like my hands feeling dry but I guess it's a little price to pay for not getting as many bugs!

Eta asset if you can't use yourself/don't want TBS gift sets they can and do sell well on eBay. If you search for completed listings you should be able to see what particular gift sets have sold for recently.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2015/2016/2017/2018

UUs for 2016: 513 In's: 447 UUs for 2017: 207 Ins: 161
    UUs for 2018: In's:
    Self Confessed Lush Addict!
  • asset2004 wrote: »
    Back again for this month too. :o

Wanted to ask other members thoughts of using an epilator. Bought a Braun one with good reviews from T, reduced to £19 but still plucking up the courage to try. Any tips in advance please? :o

Asset, I have a Phillips epilator, bought for me by my hubby who was concerned about how many times I cut my legs shaving!

It will hurt when you first use it - but bare with it, the dis comfort lessens each time. A few things I've learnt... don't use just before your period if you can avoid it, you are more sensitive. If you have to to get over the first few uses take a paracetamol half hour before. Don't use on full length hair, ie. if I've been lazy and not epilated in awhile I use an electric razor first and epilate the next day - for some reason it hurts less. One of the easiest times to epilate is after a hot bath when pores are open.

Epilators are not for everyone, but I am really happy with mine and love the silky feeling that lasts longer than shaving - I hope you get on with yours ;)

No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    hb21 - I use one lipstick at a time now until I finish it, I choose something that fits with the season, the makeup and clothes I am currently wearing. I use all other makeup except eyeshadow until it's finished - so one foundation, primer, eyebrow pencil etc on the go at a time. For eyeshadow I choose a palette, quad etc from my stash and use that for a full calendar month. This seems to be working well for me.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • hb21
    hb21 Posts: 25 Forumite
    VALM - I think I might adopt this approach. I'll keep using the eyeshadow and blusher that are nearly finished every weekday until they are used up but switch my lipsticks around a bit so I don't get too bored.

dolly84- Once my 6 for spring are used up, I might start picking a palette/quad for a month to make some visible progress with it!
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    dolly84 wrote: »
    hb21 - I use one lipstick at a time now until I finish it, I choose something that fits with the season, the makeup and clothes I am currently wearing. I use all other makeup except eyeshadow until it's finished - so one foundation, primer, eyebrow pencil etc on the go at a time. For eyeshadow I choose a palette, quad etc from my stash and use that for a full calendar month. This seems to be working well for me.

That's really great advice Dolly! I really need to come up with something similar to help me work through all the make up I have.

I just love make up so much, I seem to have bought something new before I even realise it! I'm holding strong so far this month; I got paid on Monday and I haven't bought a single beauty related thing. I even went shopping in Exeter on Tuesday and I wandered around all the beauty counters in the department stores, and tempted though I was I didn't cave. Though the lovely lady on the Urban Decay counter did give me a sample of their Perversion mascara :D:D:D maybe that helped scratch the itch! Then I saw on BritishBeautyBlogger that Marc Jacobs make up is now available online at Harrods and got excited again.

I'm trialling putting everything I see and think *WANT*, into a list on the pc, and then in a week or 2 going back and looking again once I've calmed down and thinking about if I truly want it. Seems to be helping me atm.

I know I will probably buy something this month, but my plan is to sort out a budget as I have a lot of birthdays coming up that I need to prioritise. Then when I know what I have left, I'll allocate myself a token amount of money and that will be all I allow myself.
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Morning all
    Nothing at all bought in Jan and about 4 things used so I'm pleased with this years start.

I tend to use make up one thing at a time, I keep a makeup bag in the bathroom, that has one of each item in that I do my morning face from, if we are going out I wear a slightly darker lippy than the day time one. But generally its use those things up then bring another out from the stash and pop in the bag.
    I find that works better for me than having loads of started products knocking about.

Going to have a look through my on the go toiletries and see if I can make a pan list to hopefully work through during Feb.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure