IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Demand for unpaid parking charge - from 2013 - quoting Supreme Court Decision Nov 15

Options
Hoping for some advice re 2 letters i received yesterday from Debt Recovery Plus. They're demanding payment for unpaid parking charges from Jan and Feb 2013 when i overstayed in a free car park in Watford. The letter quotes the Supreme Court decision 4th November 2015 and is now demanding payment.
When these parking charge notices were issued to me back in 2013 i just ignored all their letters based on advice from this board.
This letter suggests that in light of the Supreme Court decision i now need to pay these charges. I'm wondering if that's actually the case and does this decision impact on charges already issued, rather than apply to new charges only?
I can't find anything online - hoping someone here has some advice for me. Not sure whether i should just ignore these again.
Thanks !

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2016 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Doubt you were advised to ignore by this forum!

Too late now though. You should just ignore the recent correspondence.

Ignore everything that you get from debt collectors

But don't ignore any correspondence from a court.

They have 6 years to start court proceedings
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just ignored all their letters based on advice from this board.

I must have missed those postings

anyway as you are now receiving "junk mail , perhaps a read of this thread might help

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    I just ignored all their letters based on advice from this board.

I must have missed those postings

You must have, I recall that the pre-POFA advice of ignore continued on this board well into early 2013 while the implications of the new legislation sunk in with many posters.
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    many posters were stupid , and did not look at the facts

in fact one called "bill" ended up in court and was found guilty , we were shocked!

BillPostersIsInnocent10-11-08ByAdamLeeman-email.jpg
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • JenS
    JenS Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    You must have, I recall that the pre-POFA advice of ignore continued on this board well into early 2013 while the implications of the new legislation sunk in with many posters.[

Advice in early 2013 was absolutely to ignore parking charge notices from private car park firms. Which is exactly what i did and heard nothing again from them until this week.
  • JenS
    Options
    My question essentially is then that in light of the supreme court decision in Nov 15 - are people obliged to now pay these fines?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 January 2016 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Why not just read yesterday's exactly-the-same thread, or the dozens before that...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5401927

and this one:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

Please read the NEWBIES thread too, the sticky thread at the top of this forum asking newbies to 'PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST'.

You need to stop taking this stupid letter so seriously and read what's already here. With the best will in the World, we can't fit time in to say 'ignore' every hour of every day. That's why post #4 of the NEWBIES thread tells you about DRPlus letters and begs for no new threads.

One question is the only important one:

I don't care about DRPlus or Zenith letters but which PPC was it? (acronyms are all explained in post #2 of the NEWBIES thread).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JenS wrote: »
    My question essentially is then that in light of the supreme court decision in Nov 15 - are people obliged to now pay these fines?

does your case have the same aspects as the bevis case

was your incident in a car park that the PPC paid a fishing licence for?

etc , etc

you will see your question being asked on this forum and others 20 times a day , please do a search and read them
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • JenS
    Options
    Ok guys - sorry if this has been asked - i searched and couldnt unpick the acronyms etc so thought i'd ask for advice. Seems to have !!!!ed everyone off.
    Cheers.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do read what we've pointed you to though! Be ready for Zenith letters, take a look at the threads and also you can search these on Google images with a keyword search like 'Zenith letters' or 'Debt Recovery Plus letters' to see the piles of letters people have posted pics of on t'internet, all ignored.

Which PPC was it? REALLY IMPORTANT.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure