NST: February: Back to Basics.

Options

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    I'd like to join in this month :) I generally tend to be pretty bad with NSDs but manage most days as ls. I think I'll set a target of 10 and see how I get on.

I love the idea of doing whatever it is that recharges your batteries and doing it 5 times a week :j sounds right up my street :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning and Happy February.

My planned DFD is December this year (excl. mortgage). This month I only made the min. payment for the CC and reduced the other ones as I want to get as much money together the next two months for our trip to Germany to my parents. It's the last big holiday before we're tied into school holidays etc. So I'd like to pay for it without borrowing more even if it means delaying paying things off (without penalty). But I adjusted the remaining months payment this year to balance it out.

I definitely need to find sth to recharge my batteries every day. I started crocheting at the weekend again and would like to read more. Plus my seeds need to get started soon. Otherwise the relentlessness of two young children, FT work and a household will get to me again.

From next month our nursery cost will drop (both kids finally in cheaper nursery, DH will get childcare vouchers again) and DH got a wee pay rise. So this will enable us to met payments, overpay and/or get our front door etc sorted. Can't wait. Now that our outgoing and incomings have changed I will sit down with DH again to go through the numbers soon. Now he def doesn't have an excuse anymore not to dig himself out of his OD and stop asking me for money. Things have to change! And they will. I'm really optimistic this month.

And right on cue the sun started shining :)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bob - I just read on the January thread about your op - I do hope you are OK.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    Options
    Food: If your cupboards are stuffed, then you are to hone and tone them. Be creative in your concoctions. Downshift brands. Set your budget and stick to it. Can you reduce it by 10% - I always aim to come in under budget and will try to make that 10%.

Every penny has a purpose and a job. Allocate a role to them all. Pay to your debt/savings first. Do not give your money to coffee shops, canteens, vending machines, corner shops, takeaway outlets. Budget before the month starts and ensure you compensate for food, vehicle malfunctions, birthdays, travel, outings. And cut it back to the bone. Done

Buy a homeless person a tea/coffee; donate to a foodbank or the trussell trust; volunteer. TBA

Recharge your batteries. The lighter days are coming. Do what you need to do to lift your mood (that involves no spending…!) Do it 5 times per week. So, clear stuff out and recycle it/give it away/donate it; sort out the paperwork that bothers you; exercise; listen to music; dance. OK

Use what you have before replenishing eg toiletries, cleaning products. Use up your freezer and cupboard stocks. Plan your meals. Take your lunch to work every single day you are there. No problem here.

Avoid the virus that puts the over-riding feeling of ‘want’ beyond what you actually ‘need’, that makes us spend, waste food, accumulate debts. Weigh up every spend and if you decide to buy it, keep a note of it in your notebook. Will do.

Reduce your outings. You cannot afford to go out every weekend! Arrange them before the month starts and cut by 1. Can you do it cheaper? Low cost or free for us.

Yellow stickers are your friend. If you need to use these or can get to a supermarket at the right time, then set yourself no NSD target (but keep within your budget). For those who prefer rules, you have to get 16 NSDs (not lost if you need medication, fuel, regular activities that need paying weekly or only buy reduced items) Will try.

• dolly84
    Options
    My debt repayment has come out of my account today but the totals haven't updated so I will change my sig when that happens. My £50 has gone into the savings account so that is now updated.

Managed to get a few YS items yesterday but did come across something quite interesting. I was in the co-op 10 minutes before it shut and they had knocked quite a lot of items down but only by a few pence and one member of staff was going around the store scooping all the unsold YS items into a trolley, I mistakenly thought they were going to be knocked down further but no she went into the back with them and they never came back out. Is it a ploy to only knock them down a bit then take them away and reduced them to pennies and then the staff take them home:eek:.

• thriftylass
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    My debt repayment has come out of my account today but the totals haven't updated so I will change my sig when that happens. My £50 has gone into the savings account so that is now updated.

Managed to get a few YS items yesterday but did come across something quite interesting. I was in the co-op 10 minutes before it shut and they had knocked quite a lot of items down but only by a few pence and one member of staff was going around the store scooping all the unsold YS items into a trolley, I mistakenly thought they were going to be knocked down further but no she went into the back with them and they never came back out. Is it a ploy to only knock them down a bit then take them away and reduced them to pennies and then the staff take them home:eek:.

I wonder if they went in the bin. On another thread someone noticed the same. Some change of policy to reduce the amount of people just popping in for the YS or sth.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options

From next month our nursery cost will drop (both kids finally in cheaper nursery, DH will get childcare vouchers again) and DH got a wee pay rise. So this will enable us to met payments, overpay and/or get our front door etc sorted. Can't wait. Now that our outgoing and incomings have changed I will sit down with DH again to go through the numbers soon. Now he def doesn't have an excuse anymore not to dig himself out of his OD and stop asking me for money. Things have to change! And they will. I'm really optimistic this month.

And right on cue the sun started shining :)

It made such a difference once we were getting childcare vouchers. Much more than the quoted savings. Our childcare went from between £700-850 pm mnth to around £200 :money:
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • thriftylass
    Options
    It made such a difference once we were getting childcare vouchers. Much more than the quoted savings. Our childcare went from between £700-850 pm mnth to around £200 :money:

We were getting them already but DH started a new job and during the 3 months probation he doesn't get them. They restart next month. So his income will go down but we save 90 quid in tax I think. Or is it 90 for the both of us. Anyway, def worth it. I don't even miss them out of my income as they leave before tax etc although OH will notice the difference when they start again.
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »

When I worked in co-op, although a few years ago, we had no control over how much stuff got reduced by (it was kinda a case of 'computer says') and it wouldn't be that unusual to pull it off the shelves a few minutes before closing to 'waste' it, especially if it was bin day in the morning or you knew morning shift was short staffed.
    Credit card respend 2551.58 (15/02/17)
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    • What is important to you? That is what you will naturally focus on and that is what will take up most of your energy, so choose wisely. Keep your eyes on that goal this month. What will you fill your head with this month? Remove excuses, unsatisfying filler activities (tv, FB, PC time) and dedicate time to your chosen focus. To get fit, clear cc1 this month and spend more time with friends and family
    • Cut back to the basics. Be austere. Plan to use up everything in cupboards and freezer before big shop.
    • When is your Debt Free Date? How much do you need to pay each month to achieve this? Can you bring this date forward? What are the consequences of not meeting this date? Hope to be DF by the end of 2016, however if I don't still on interest free for another 10 months. I need to clear cc1 by 1.03.16, cc2 1270.00 by 1.05.16. So until then I need to pay 500 per month which will be a struggle. After that pay 400.00 a month.

Buy a homeless person a tea/coffee; donate to a foodbank or the trussell trust; volunteer. Will do on next food shop

Recharge your batteries. The lighter days are coming. Do what you need to do to lift your mood (that involves no spending…!) Do it 5 times per week. So, clear stuff out and recycle it/give it away/donate it; sort out the paperwork that bothers you; exercise; listen to music; dance.
    Walking more it is free. Got items put in corner of garage to do tip run and a few items in house to sell

Use what you have before replenishing eg toiletries, cleaning products. Use up your freezer and cupboard stocks. Plan your meals. Take your lunch to work every single day you are there. Always do take lunch to work. Freezer/cupboards looking healthy

Avoid the virus that puts the over-riding feeling of ‘want’ beyond what you actually ‘need’, that makes us spend, waste food, accumulate debts. Weigh up every spend and if you decide to buy it, keep a note of it in your notebook.

Reduce your outings. You cannot afford to go out every weekend! Arrange them before the month starts and cut by 1. Can you do it cheaper?
    Nothing planned this month but hope to go out at least twice. Will be meal out with a a friend we usually share a meal if we know it is massive. Have got some vouchers to use up as well.

Yellow stickers are your friend. If you need to use these or can get to a supermarket at the right time, then set yourself no NSD target (but keep within your budget). For those who prefer rules, you have to get 16 NSDs (not lost if you need medication, fuel, regular activities that need paying weekly or only buy reduced items)Will go along with 16

LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure