Suspended pending investigation

Options

Comments

• tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CRC1974 wrote: »
    I have now received a letter from them setting out why they have suspended me as the allegation is sexual harassment but they will ask me to come in for an investigatory meeting in the next few days to see if there is anything to go to the disciplinary process. If this does go that far I'm thinking I will wait to see what they say at the investigatory meeting and decide if I can fight it or not. At that point if I think I can't fight it I will state that my conscience is clear and that even if I fought this I would not be able to return so would they consider allowing me to make an agreement to resign and go quietly for a neutral reference. I think this is the likely outcome actually as it avoids risk of further legal issues for them if I take a discriminatory case or one for wrongful dismissal or that there actions amount to not being reasonable as it will be something very minor that I have done such as cracked a joke or similar. It is not in the companies interest to allow me to take them to court.
    Has anyone got any thoughts on when I broach the resignation subject, what I would say to persued them and how to negotiate it?
    Thanks in advance!

Nor yours, it'll cost you a fortune and you won't win.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you thought about what it could be yet?
  • MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely, as a senior manager, you should be fully conversant with your company's conduct and discipline processes, and be aware that suspension on full pay is routine if an allegation is made.

You should also be fully conversant with diversity policies as you would be expected to take action if you overheard a subordinate saying or doing anything inappropriate.

At the moment you seem to have decided that you are going to lose your job. That may be due to you having the attitude of Fraser from Dad's Army - "We're all doomed" - not exactly ideal for management. Alternatively, you know that you have done or said something that you shouldn't.

Whichever, I think it is time to take a step back and seek proper assistance. Contact your union if you belong to one, or seek advice from a solicitor (which you will have to pay for). Offering to resign as a first step merely gives the impression of guilt, and your employer may decide not to agree to your request for a neutral reference. If you are going to look for further management jobs then you need to learn to be resilient when facing challenges, so why not start this now and fight for your current job?
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • CRC1974
    CRC1974 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Macmickster, of course I am conversant with policy. I have sought both legal and union advice already and I am currently waiting. Maybe I should be more resilient-I am a little nervous about the future which I think you would agree is understandable. In any case I still don't know what I am accused of so we will have to wait and see over the next few days. I will post what I find out so others can learn from my situation.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Macmickster, of course I am conversant with policy. I have sought both legal and union advice already and I am currently waiting. Maybe I should be more resilient-I am a little nervous about the future which I think you would agree is understandable. In any case I still don't know what I am accused of so we will have to wait and see over the next few days. I will post what I find out so others can learn from my situation.

What has your union advised?

Are they going to provide active support through the process?
    :hello:
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,363 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When an accusation is made the company are in a nasty position too - if they suspend the person who is accused and they turn out not to have done anything then they upset that staff member and people who support them. If they don't suspend the accused person and it turns out to have been a genuine incident then they upset the person who was harassed and other workers who know about it. Hard as it is, try to take the investigation as a genuine investigation - they need to know and don't, yet.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • makeyourdaddyproud
    Options
    I would be looking forward to their faces when you "do a moonie" on the way out of the interview. since you're doomed anyway...
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone got any thoughts on when I broach the resignation subject, what I would say to persued them and how to negotiate it?

Do not make this approach, if this is a groundless accusation you must not resign and walk away, it needs faced and dealt with robustly.

If this gets to disciplinary, ensure you have an appropriate steward or a full-time officer picking up your case.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have personal experience of this situation myself.

I am a Civil Servant who was accused, but the Decision Maker decided that there was not enough evidence to prove my guilt , so the charge was not proven.

I was NOT suspended while the investigation took place, but did receive Union support all the way through the process.

Not once did I consider resigning because I *knew* I was innocent.

After being found not guilty, I changed offices with my reputation intact and she isnt trusted at all.

If you have the attitude of your doomed , it makes me think you have done something wrong, and it will negatively affect how you deal with the situation.
  • CRC1974
    CRC1974 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I understand that the process is just that. I await the invite to an investigatory meeting. I have got union support waiting when I need it and am waiting to hear the next steps. I can't remember doing or saying anything that would upset anyone but of course I don't remember every word I have ever said either. I suppose it's easy for someone to just take a dislike to something I have said.
    Anyway I am playing a waiting game at the moment. I will repost an update when I have it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport