Suspended pending investigation

Options
Hi all, I have just been told today that I am suspended on full pay pending investigation for a sexual harassment accusation. I find this very disturbing!! I have worked as a senior manager in the company for about 10 months and never had anything like this before. I have been told nothing about what I am accused of and who by and am very worried. Is it legal to suspend me without letting me know the full reasons why?
Also assuming the investigation throws something up which I am not aware of what happens if it's my word against another staff member. Who do the company believe? I have already made initial contact with a solicitor to meet to discuss but I'm left very uneasy and shaken by the whole thing.
Has anyone got any good advice for me as I don't think I have done anything to warrant this.
All advice gratefully received!
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    edited 27 January 2016 at 7:43PM
    Options
    First remember that suspension is a neutral act used to give time to investigate. You must contact your union if a member.

You should first be called to an investigatory meeting and if it is decided that there is something you have one then a disciplinary meeting to decide what is to happen.

If however ten months is the total employment then you can be sacked for any non discriminatory reason.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    First remember that suspension is a negative act used to give time to investigate. You must contact your union if a member.

You should first be called to an investigatory meeting and if it is decided that there is something you have one then a disciplinary meeting to decide what is to happen.

If however ten months is the total employment then you can be sacked for any non discriminatory reason.

Did you mean a neutral act? ;)
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    Yes, auto correct! Will change

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You say you have spoken to a solicitor - what advice have they given you?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • CRC1974
    CRC1974 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I have made contact with a receptionist and am in the process of getting an appointment with the solicitor. I haven't seen him yet.
    I can be sacked as I have only been there 10 months??!!! Why?
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    CRC1974 wrote: »
    I have made contact with a receptionist and am in the process of getting an appointment with the solicitor. I haven't seen him yet.

You have to have worked for two years to get full employment rights and be able to claim unfair dismissal. :(

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options

https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/eligibility-to-claim-unfair-dismissal
  • CRC1974
    CRC1974 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. So assuming it goes to through all the stages and gets to dismissal what choices do I have?
    Thanks
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    Thanks. So assuming it goes to through all the stages and gets to dismissal what choices do I have?
    Thanks

None :(:(.......

• IceCold
    IceCold Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2016 at 8:09PM
    Options
    Do you have any idea what the accusations might be? Can you think of anything you may have said to someone that may have been taken the wrong way or interpreted differently to what you intended? Have you made any jokes that might have been taken the wrong way, etc?

I think this may depend on where you work but if it's basically a case of your word against their's then I can't see anything further happening when the investigation is finished.

I was sexually assaulted by a work colleague last year however as there were no witnesses and he denied it nothing actually happened and he's still working there now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure