🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Reality Check...

Options

Comments

• hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Oh what a nightmare for them. Such horrible people in the world.

Is your daughters uni course something that requires a high spec laptop? Is this the same for him? If not maybe just a basic model to share?

X
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know, it's a shame.

Not really, she is doing teaching, but he is doing Graphics and really needs this one - well so he claims, I know nothing about it!

I hate apple phones, but since I got an apple laptop I have remained loyal for the past 12 years, they really do make a difference, never have any problems etc.

Sharing isn't really an option as she lives at home and not always there...maybe there 3 nights a week? xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Oh just read back a few posts too have you tried checking eBay for dresses? How often do we try and sell expensive clothing and it goes for pennies.....maybe once this could work in our favour? Even ordering a couple to try on when the time comes. You could always sell them back on eBay so the dress would cost you nothing. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    We have an old mac from dp's graphic design uni days. They are great but that's because they are very exspensive. My old car didn't even cost £2600! Could his student loan go towards an exspensive new one if it is needed? I'm sure uni provide rental laptops or facilities at libraries etc. Unless it's a requirement in the course details like text books etc. I'd say it's a luxury item.

I'd say go with a cheaper version for your daughter if you really want to get her one. Do you need a £1300 laptop to facebook and internet bank and write essays? I know I'm sounding all mean and bah humbug but you've been working so hard to pay off debt and this would put you a massive step back. It's a lot to exspect from someone who has extra cash laying around nevermidn someone working hard to pay of debt and about to have anew baby. Also they are getting to adulthood now mean I know but it could be a valuable lesson in saving and earning money for what you want? Could you offer each a basic model or the money equivalent to go toward a fancy one if they are willing to save up for it? X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • reality_check
    Options
    Good thinking about the dress, the few clothing items I have sold I have always been annoyed at how much I spent, more often only wore a handful of times, and then sold it for next to nothing! Thanks :)

I know I know about the laptops really going to set me back! I haven't actually offered anything to them! My daughter did say "I am going to need a new one" and I just replied with "Don't look at me, I don't have a penny!" My daughter defintely doesn't need a laptop, I have an apple one at home and we also have a Macbook that is my OH's - she just wants one, to lie in bed and watch youtube!

I only use mine for watching Netflix in bed as don't have a tv in my room...I am not really up for giving mine up, but I probably could and make do with a cheaper version.

It's her bf I feel the worst for, probably should be more concenerned about my own daughter lol! but he has had a hard life, and was starting to find his feet, he is funding himself through uni, has 3 jobs and really can't afford to have moved out, but after a few years sleeping on his grandparents couch he made the decsion to share a flat with 3 of his friends so all his money is just to survive, but I could just tell the past few weeks he was much happier having this independance and then this had to happen!

I do believe what goes around comes around, so hopefully whoever done it, there time will be up soon and get what's coming to them. I am glad they weren't at home, it is only stuff at the end of the day, but they don't see that right now xx
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,719 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It is a tough lesson to learn and if you were not in debt and about to go on maternity leave I would help in your position (not by forking out £2k +). They are adults, you told them to get insurance and yes it is awful but they need to learn actions have consequences. I would certainly not buy them one each at that price especially for just recreation use.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Just throwing something out there. How will you feel if you splash out hundreds of pounds on your daughters bf laptop and they break up in a few weeks time? It sounds like he has had it tough but he is not your responsibility and he does have grandparents so perhaps they could help?. Help by all means if you can afford it but to replace it outright would be a lot.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • reality_check
    Options
    No I never told him to get insurrance, it's just something I assumed he knew about getting! His grandparents 100% can't help. I am leaving it as it is, going to see what plan they come up with themselves. You are right, I am in no financial position to be helping anyone when I can't help myself! xx
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    That sounds like a plan. Hold fire and see what plan they come up with and maybe help then if you are in a position to. I would be looking to carry on clearing your debt and save for maternity leave though so adding to the debt is not ideal. Just a question of priorities.
  • reality_check
    Options
    The laptop situation is they have been looking at finance options for my daughters bf...17.9% APR if he gets accepted...but Currys have an Apple sale on right now and you can get a Macbook Air for £850 and the Pro for £1050 so saving either £100 or £200 which is better than the student discount Apple can offer. The £850 is defintely enough for Sophie, and waiting to hear back from her bf, I txted them this morning but they will still be sleeping! My daughter has told her Dad and he has told her he will "help them out" but don't know what that means!

Anyway, back to me! Not that I have anything to share, I still have no money and it is 9 days until payday!! Spend £38 in Sainsburys last night and got a few bargains with a full chicken that we can have tonight, some beef mince and lamb mince so with what is in the freezer we have plenty food until pay day. I have £17 left in my petrol budget, which I will need and will probably JUST survive until pay day with it.

My MOT is due 12th August, but since my due date is the 11th August it is probably best to get booked in before then! Tomorrow is 5 weeks to go!! :):):) I am going to miss being pregnant, I have bizzarely loved it! But I am so so excited to meet this little baby, so I'm also happy to trade being pregnant for that.

Happy Thursday! xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business