Haven't paid for gas since June 2014

Options
OK, here goes, this is long and a bit complicated..
May 2014, I signed up to switch my elec & gas supply from Scottish Power... Process all started as normal, had final bills from previous supplier, notifications of new account from Scottish Power etc etc..
Electricity was first to swap over, I was informed by Scottish Power this was normal, and gas would be soon after, all gas/elec supplies at my house fine and as per.. After a couple of months of weird bits and bobs of money coming in and going out of my bank account due to the handover process, I noticed that I was actually only paying for electricity and not gas.. I contacted customer service and was informed that due to the fact that they were swapping to a new computer system there'd been a few teething problems with my gas account, but it was all in hand and not to worry, they'd be in touch..At this point i decided to start overpaying on my electricity direct debit, to compensate for the impending late gas bill..
Over the next few months, NOTHING happened. I lodged an official complaint to try and get things moving in Feb 2015 and received a response telling me my problem would be resolved within 6 weeks...
March 2015 I spoke to a very helpful customer service lady who told me that at that time they still had no resolution to my problem, that my gas account was effectively 'stuck' in the system as a result of their upgrading their computer system and that they were continuing to look for a solution, but at that time did not have one and couldn't tell me when/if they would ever have one..and so we carried on..
September 2015, my gas account is cancelled without warning by Scottish Power. (although they still continue to supply my gas). Once again contacted customer service and was told that they'd had to cancel the account as it was stuck and couldn't ever be retrieved, and the plan was to set up a new gas account from scratch, back bill me for the past 12 months worth of gas (as that is all they are allowed to charge me for by law) and go from there... BUT, this had to be done by a 'special team' since they were concerned that the same problem would occur again, and that the 'special team' would be in touch and the problem almost certainly resolved by the end of the year.. Either way, I would 100% be getting a call back from that particular customer service agent on 25 November 2015, to update me.
Fast forward to today....Still nothing. Im still overpaying and now have more than enough credit on my account to cover a years worth of gas, so ill be reducing the direct debit very soon.. What to do though? Ive been effectively recieving free gas from June 2015, and the ball is entirely in their court.. Still im concerned that its all a bit too good to be true.. At this time i have no gas account with Scottish Power, Im not paying for gas from them and yet they are still supplying me. Im reluctant to do anything about it if im honest, but would that be wrong? Really need some advice. ....:cool:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Over the next few months, NOTHING happened. I lodged an official complaint to try and get things moving in Feb 2015 and received a response telling me my problem would be resolved within 6 weeks...

Was this official complaint and response in writing? If so just sit tight.

However as you state you are overpaying your electricity account, bear in mind that when matters are sorted out any credit will go toward your gas bill. With dual fuel SP have just one bill.
  • Delete33
    Delete33 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can they only back bill you for one year????????? I have a similar situation.
  • slimeyjoe
    slimeyjoe Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2016 at 12:47PM
    Options
    yes, if its their error and youve done all you can to inform them and cooperate thats the law..
  • Delete33
    Options
    How do you find out who is supplying the Gas, I know my Electricity supplier and I have a credit of £1000 this is to pay the gas I have not been charged for yet.
  • slimeyjoe
    slimeyjoe Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2016 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Was this official complaint and response in writing? If so just sit tight.

However as you state you are overpaying your electricity account, bear in mind that when matters are sorted out any credit will go toward your gas bill. With dual fuel SP have just one bill.

Yes, all official and had a written response too.
    The original subscription was for a dual fuel account, only the gas part didnt start..
  • slimeyjoe
    Options
    Delete33 wrote: »
    How do you find out who is supplying the Gas, I know my Electricity supplier and I have a credit of £1000 this is to pay the gas I have not been charged for yet.

Scottish power checked the national database and told me it was them still supplying me
  • Delete33
    Options
    Quick e-mail and quick reply from my Electricity supplier. I moved from NPower but the Gas part of the Dual fuel deal was not transferred over. Checked on NPower online account, it states that the Gas account is paid in full and closed????????????????????
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    slimeyjoe wrote: »
    yes, if its their error and youve done all you can to inform them and cooperate thats the law..

For 'Delete33'
    It is not the 'law' but a voluntary code of conduct to which most(not all) of the major suppliers have signed up. The difference being that the company decides if the customer has taken steps to get a bill. e.g. if you move in and don't inform the company etc etc the 12 month back-billing provision does not apply.
  • slimeyjoe
    Options
    Just spoke to Scottish Power again on the phone as theyd already reduced my direct debit, far too low, and I need it to be higher... As of today, still no solution or update...Hey ho, more free gas for me then. :)
  • slimeyjoe
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    For 'Delete33'
    It is not the 'law' but a voluntary code of conduct to which most(not all) of the major suppliers have signed up. The difference being that the company decides if the customer has taken steps to get a bill. e.g. if you move in and don't inform the company etc etc the 12 month back-billing provision does not apply.

Thanks, i kinda meant that ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport