Cheap, but nice house warming gift?

Options

Comments

• Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    She is very selfish and I degrudge giving her things as she is never grateful and takes forever to say thankyou if at all. But I know what she is like and so long as you give her something even small she will leave you alone....

Not the idea perhaps but I like a quiet life!!
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    Options
    Lucy1982 wrote: »
    She is very selfish and I degrudge giving her things as she is never grateful and takes forever to say thankyou if at all. But I know what she is like and so long as you give her something even small she will leave you alone....

Not the idea perhaps but I like a quiet life!!

I think we all know or have known someone like her Lucy. I think often they have always been spoilt and life been easy. Usually what happens is when she finally has to deal with the tough stuff that life deals, it will hit her very very hard. That is when she may finally realise what is really important in life.

Maybe becoming a mother will be the start of this realisation for her. We can only hope. I understand about wanting a quiet life and you are right to go along with this as cheaply as you can!;):D
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • sammiboo
    sammiboo Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    Out of interest

Is she as generous with gift buying as much as she expects everyone else to be?
    March 2006 £15,200+ in debt April £843.64 in debt - Debt Free date Sept 2009
    Egg Credit Card - £843.64 5.7%
  • Lucy1982_2
    Options
    Thanks for that I normally feel awful for giving into her. When she got married she asked 7 of us to be bridesmaids (which we all accepted) then turned round and told us we would have to pay for it ourselves!!! £200 odd later.

I'm hoping the Baby will change her, I'm just not holding my breath!
  • Lucy1982_2
    Options
    sammiboo wrote: »
    Out of interest

Is she as generous with gift buying as much as she expects everyone else to be?

Well she clubbed together with a friend to get me some ear rings for my birthday, but didn't even bother getting my Mum a card for hers. So it's a bit hit and miss really.
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not read all your replies so sorry if this is repeating what has already been said. What about a hamper, made by yourself. Get a basket or pretty box and put in a bottle of wine, maybe a house magazine, a voucher for a film rental, popcorn, chocolates, have you got a picture of the couple you out in a photo frame? or anything that you think she might like can go into it??

Or you can get deals on magazine subscriptions (on another thread) so how about getting her a years subscription to a house magazine??? In my opinion that is very thoughtful and is plenty to give as a house warming and she will get a reminder of your thought in the post every month for a year.

Forget what she thinks about the cost, go on your principals not hers... And if your principles are the thought then put thought into it and your conscience is clear. The above ideas are thoughful in my opinion.
  • Lucy1982_2
    Options
    I did think about finding a nice frame and putting one of their wedding photos in it, or getting a multi picture frame and putting a selection in it.

I need to find out how much the frames are though.
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lucy1982 wrote: »
    I did think about finding a nice frame and putting one of their wedding photos in it, or getting a multi picture frame and putting a selection in it.

I need to find out how much the frames are though.

TK Maxx do some lovely frames and they are inexpensive. Maybe you could ask both their mums for a picture of when they were babies or toddlers and putting them in a frame of them the same age???
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    How about Martins "Thrifty ways for modern days" book ??? Then you can satisfy your mse ways and she will have a useful present :money:
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • Lucy1982_2
    Options
    How about Martins "Thrifty ways for modern days" book ??? Then you can satisfy your mse ways and she will have a useful present :money:
    Sounds like a gift I would love... In fact must get the money diet back from OH!

I don't think it would do any good though. Apparently they have been arguing over the fact that she wants a big america style fridge/freezer, but he only wants a normal one!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills