IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

***10,130+ 3 days for a government response -- STOP THE SCAMMERS and the EXTORTION

Options
123457»

Comments

• arthurx1234
    Options
    The following standard letter was published either on this site or another some time last year--- I take no credit for it i just sent it to 3 local MPs after tweaking it abit---- so if any one wants to copy and paste and tweek be my guest
    [FONT=&quot]Private Parking Companies are currently out of control and using methods that could be labelled harassment and bullying. Many try to claim well in excess of the amount they are legally entitled to do so via contractual law. This most affects vulnerable and elderly people whom I assume you would join me in wishing to protect.

As a campaigner against these types of companies I believe our elected representatives have let us, the general public, down. They have allowed private parking companies and the British Parking Association (BPA) to hoodwink them into providing Registered Keeper liability under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 with the promise that it would reduce the number of court cases. The exact opposite is the case, the number of court cases has increased by a multiple of three figures.

DVLA have also been allowed to sell, at a huge profit, Registered Keeper details with barely any checks. DVLA claim that it is the BPA’s responsibility to ensure compliance yet the BPA is made up of the exact private parking companies that carry out this harassment. Worryingly some public bodies such as councils and NHS trusts belong to the BPA.

ALSO the following EARLY DAY MOTION, can anyone remember what happened to it,??
    [/FONT]
    Early day motion 458

PRIVATE PARKING OPERATORS IN TOWNS AND CITIES

That this House is growing increasingly concerned about the operation of private parking operators in town and city centres; notes that the £100 fines issued by these companies are significantly out of proportion to the few minutes that some people may be late in returning to their vehicles and which would take up to 15 hours to pay earning the minimum wage; is concerned about the use of debt collection agencies which set about routinely harassing those in receipt of a fine with increasingly intimidating demands to pay; further notes the new bewildering changes in technology that seem to be confusing many users of these private operations; has concerns about the use of Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency information to track down motorists on behalf of these private sector companies; regrets that companies such as Smart Parking refuse to engage in a meaningful discussion about their operations and arrogantly dismiss those with concerns about their parking arrangements; believes that the regulation of private parking is insufficient and must be urgently reviewed to ensure that private parking companies are more accountable and responsive to the communities they serve; and calls on the Government to bring forward plans to ensure that new regulations are brought forward which are user-focused and stop what is almost a licence to harass.

Arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The following standard letter was published either on this site or another some time last year--- I take no credit for it i just sent it to 3 local MPs after tweaking it abit---- so if any one wants to copy and paste and tweek be my guest
    [FONT=&quot]Private Parking Companies are currently out of control and using methods that could be labelled harassment and bullying. Many try to claim well in excess of the amount they are legally entitled to do so via contractual law. This most affects vulnerable and elderly people whom I assume you would join me in wishing to protect.

As a campaigner against these types of companies I believe our elected representatives have let us, the general public, down. They have allowed private parking companies and the British Parking Association (BPA) to hoodwink them into providing Registered Keeper liability under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 with the promise that it would reduce the number of court cases. The exact opposite is the case, the number of court cases has increased by a multiple of three figures.

DVLA have also been allowed to sell, at a huge profit, Registered Keeper details with barely any checks. DVLA claim that it is the BPA’s responsibility to ensure compliance yet the BPA is made up of the exact private parking companies that carry out this harassment. Worryingly some public bodies such as councils and NHS trusts belong to the BPA.

ALSO the following EARLY DAY MOTION, can anyone remember what happened to it,??
    [/FONT]
    Early day motion 458

PRIVATE PARKING OPERATORS IN TOWNS AND CITIES

That this House is growing increasingly concerned about the operation of private parking operators in town and city centres; notes that the £100 fines issued by these companies are significantly out of proportion to the few minutes that some people may be late in returning to their vehicles and which would take up to 15 hours to pay earning the minimum wage; is concerned about the use of debt collection agencies which set about routinely harassing those in receipt of a fine with increasingly intimidating demands to pay; further notes the new bewildering changes in technology that seem to be confusing many users of these private operations; has concerns about the use of Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency information to track down motorists on behalf of these private sector companies; regrets that companies such as Smart Parking refuse to engage in a meaningful discussion about their operations and arrogantly dismiss those with concerns about their parking arrangements; believes that the regulation of private parking is insufficient and must be urgently reviewed to ensure that private parking companies are more accountable and responsive to the communities they serve; and calls on the Government to bring forward plans to ensure that new regulations are brought forward which are user-focused and stop what is almost a licence to harass.

Arthur

Great, I really do hope that people will contact their MP's.

The Early Day Motion was before Beavis / Supreme Court and MP's did not seem too fond of it
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 February 2016 at 8:07PM
    Options
    now only 15 signups to go now :)
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 February 2016 at 10:04AM
    Options
    initial target now reached, over 10k signatures, another 90k to go :)

thank you very much to all who contributed
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At 100,000 signatures...

At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Keep going folks, tell everybody to sign
  • beamerguy
    Options
    The Petition site now shows