Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lidl Washing Liquid - Formil Biological WL. (There's probably a non-bio one too).

I have never seen the need to buy the over-priced, over-hyped, over-marketed detergent for washing clothes, and since abandoning everything Tesco related some ago have been looking for an own-brand to replace the T one.

A "gone grey" white linen shirt has just emerged from my wm after a 40 degree wash as white and sparkling as ever I remember it.

A handful of washing soda, a half measure of washing liquid - fab results. Everything is beautifully clean with not a mark anywhere. I think I paid £1.69 (28 washes), and by using washing soda from the £ shop which not only inhibits limescale in the washing machine, removes stains (forget Vanish), the softened water means I can get 56 washes as only half the quantity is needed.

Equally impressive results with Lidl's W5 dishwasher tablets!
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Feral Moon Oh my did I get it wrong again!

No, not at all. Don't worry I've had some poor onions from Waitrose too so I think it's fair to say that last year's crop of onions was particularly poor and haven't wintered too well, regardless of which store is selling them.

Fingers crossed this year's will fair better, although we're going to need much less rain and far more sunshine than we're currently getting!
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Lidl Washing Liquid - Formil Biological WL. (There's probably a non-bio one too).

I have never seen the need to buy the over-priced, over-hyped, over-marketed detergent for washing clothes, and since abandoning everything Tesco related some ago have been looking for an own-brand to replace the T one.

A "gone grey" white linen shirt has just emerged from my wm after a 40 degree wash as white and sparkling as ever I remember it.

A handful of washing soda, a half measure of washing liquid - fab results. Everything is beautifully clean with not a mark anywhere. I think I paid £1.69 (28 washes), and by using washing soda from the £ shop which not only inhibits limescale in the washing machine, removes stains (forget Vanish), the softened water means I can get 56 washes as only half the quantity is needed.

Equally impressive results with Lidl's W5 dishwasher tablets!

I think you might find it's the washing soda rather than liquid that's resulted in a white, stain free shirt ;)

If I put washing soda in with anything it always comes out whiter and gets rid of any stains.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I think you might find it's the washing soda rather than liquid that's resulted in a white, stain free shirt ;)

If I put washing soda in with anything it always comes out whiter and gets rid of any stains.

I've always used washing soda but my whites have never been as white as with this washing liquid.
  • Tipsntreats
    Tipsntreats Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    LadyDee that is the stuff I use!
    We have just had a new combi boiler installed. Washing my hair I found an abundance of suds! Then I remembered, there is a water softener incorporated in the new boiler. So now I an use even less chemicals, and save even more.
    I AM NOT going to talk about onions any more!!!!
    Tips
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I just cannot get on with Nairn's plain oatcakes. I've tried them on the baby and she spits them out (she does this with no other food). Am interested to hear how you find them.

The Cracked Black Pepper Oatcakes have now been opened, and I think they are rather good.

The Black Pepper flavour is very subtle, and just adds a pleasant savouriness to the oatcakes. I think the texture is slightly improved, too - less flaky cardboard and more digestive biscuit.

I noticed the other day they also had Seeded Oatcakes, which I shall also try and report back on.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been an Aldi customer for years, and I can't believe I am saying this, but I am starting to prefer Lidl

I especially like that Lidl reduce things by 30% a couple of days before their use by date, unlike Asda who only reduce on the actual date.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy to see Aldi keeping up the pressure on the other not-so-supermarkets.

Today - disposable barbecues for £1.29 and fresh peas reduced even further, to 89p. The latter compares with Sainsbury's at £1.50 and even more at the local Co-Op.

Further good news was that while all the cherries I have seen in the others so far this year have been from places like Greece or Turkey, at least Aldi realises we are at the very height of the cherry season here in the UK and are supporting our farmers (and the consumers by offering a superior product) with British cherries!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    That's what I like about Aldi. The will source British.

Most of the other supermarkets only source for how much the can save on foreign producers then hike price on it to us.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lidl lamb shank - approx half amount of Aldi lamb shank at around same price.

Lidl barbecue chicken wings. Edible but the sauce is in gooey lumps instead of spread evenly over the wings.

Own fault for being too lazy to (literally) go the extra mile for Aldi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure