Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The Lidl baclava is really good, with residual stock still on sale after Christmas (not an item that has benefited from a price slash, though). Expensive but worth it, great to serve after a meal with coffee instead of dessert.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Expensive but worth it.

It's actually very cheap compared to the real deal.
    I live in an area with lots of Baclava bakeries, and a similar amount of "fresh" stuff costs around £10.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice on the washing up liquid. I'll look out for the Lidl Platinum next time I'm in there. We do call into Aldi sometimes so will look for those too.
    Reckon I'll be using the present one much quicker than usual! (Little tip if you haven't heard of it: I decant it into a soap dispenser then squirt it onto the washing up sponge. Two squirts usually suffice but I'm using three at the moment!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    It's actually very cheap compared to the real deal.
    I live in an area with lots of Baclava bakeries, and a similar amount of "fresh" stuff costs around £10.
    Agreed, but for a mass-produced product its great. Plus for me its a luxury vs the w/w price of Western goodies, ie biscuits, cake or chocolate.

Say for arguments sake each piece is 25g, it costs about 27p per piece. That is compared to 2.25p for a chocolate oatie biscuit of 18.75g (a very affordable favourite of mine), currently 42p / 300g pack in Aldi. You can't compare the two in terms of quality of ingredients, but if its a sugar hit you're after the biscuits win hands down for me, as I discriminate preferentially on the basis of price :D

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could say that again please with a bit more detail this time :D
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Could say that again please with a bit more detail this time :D
    Sorry m'lud, just being [STRIKE]greedy[/STRIKE] MSE.

• RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loving your sugar maths!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    My Aldi was an absolute mess again this week.:(

Not sure where I should raise it? I did comment to the guy on the checkout but he seemed as exasperated as me.

dlusman wrote: »
    https://customerservice.aldi.co.uk/contact

( and Select "store" in step 1 )

I followed this up and got a swift, polite response from Aldi. Pleasingly it did address what I'd written not just a standard churned out email. They apologised, of course, but also said they'd pass it on to the local store. Hopefully normal service will be resumed.

I don't think it can be a supply problem as such as plenty of e.g. cauli and broccoli in Sainsbury's but none in Aldi.:( The mess store has to a lack of management of staff, assuming they have enough staff in the first place.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I followed this up and got a swift, polite response from Aldi. Pleasingly it did address what I'd written not just a standard churned out email. They apologised, of course, but also said they'd pass it on to the local store. Hopefully normal service will be resumed.

I don't think it can be a supply problem as such as plenty of e.g. cauli and broccoli in Sainsbury's but none in Aldi.:( The mess store has to a lack of management of staff, assuming they have enough staff in the first place.

Aldi is a victim of its own success . I have two stores in my area and both are woefully small for the volumes of business they are doing. The car parks are always crammed and the staff work flat out constantly re-stacking the shelves, which are stripped again in next to no time.

I understand a new store is planned in one of the towns concerned but it's taking time, I suspect because Aldi's management is as badly stretched as are its shelf stackers.

I suppose it's a nice problem for the company to have but it can be frustrating for consumers and it must be hell on the staff.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Aldi is a victim of its own success . I have two stores in my area and both are woefully small for the volumes of business they are doing. The car parks are always crammed and the staff work flat out constantly re-stacking the shelves, which are stripped again in next to no time.

I understand a new store is planned in one of the towns concerned but it's taking time, I suspect because Aldi's management is as badly stretched as are its shelf stackers.

I suppose it's a nice problem for the company to have but it can be frustrating for consumers and it must be hell on the staff.

Yes, you're right about being a victim of its own success.

I have four stores in easy reach including one new and larger one.

What made me comment was that this particular store is always well managed and tidy. I recognise your description of staff refilling shelves flat out but since Christmas there don't seem to be so many staff there or the stock. I time my shop for just before the Friday teatime onslaught when the car park is fairly empty as parents have gone to collect offspring from school and too early for most people to have finished work. Usually, because they're expecting the weekend rush there is plenty of stock and high staffing levels.

I'll post again if anything changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport