I despair of the education system.

Options

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    It is worrying how basic arithmetic seems beyond many these days. I am not including those who genuinely have a learning difficulty such as dyscalculia.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    'One' of the items was the 12 cans, assuming theres more in there as well.

Anyway not quite sure whats the problem. People can be crap at Maths, its a thing. Dyscalculia is also a thing.

Also marking an essay on content and grammar, rather than spelling, is also a thing. You mark based on the criteria set out when the essay was given. Very few children (and adults) would achieve well if 100% correct spelling was part of every assignment.

Also I cannot believe a parent marched into school to protest that child should have been given a lower grade.
    How charming and supportive.

Actually, we complained to the school that our lad's maths exercises had been marked too leniently - marking something as correct when it isn't helps nobody.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Very few children (and adults) would achieve well if 100% correct spelling was part of every assignment.

I didn't say everyone should be expected to achieve 100% correct spelling, just that you shouldn't be marked 10/10, if there are spelling mistakes.

10/10 tells the pupil they got everything right, hence it's impossible for them to improve.
    Also I cannot believe a parent marched into school to protest that child should have been given a lower grade. How charming and supportive.

You think it's supportive, to let your child labour under the mistaken belief, that they got everything absolutely right?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, we complained to the school that our lad's maths exercises had been marked too leniently - marking something as correct when it isn't helps nobody.

For maths, when an answer is right or wrong, fair enough. English is far more subjective and an essay is made up of much more than correct spelling. Depending on the age of the child it may be entirely inappropriate to expect everything (or anything!) to be spelt correctly.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I didn't say everyone should be expected to achieve 100% correct spelling, just that you shouldn't be marked 10/10, if there are spelling mistakes.

10/10 tells the pupil they got everything right, hence it's impossible for them to improve.

It is very unusual for an essay to be marked in such a way. Usually they are levelled or marked against specific success criteria. A 'out of ten' mark quite frankly isn't useful in an essay situation.

I imagine you don't have any more information on why this particular essay was marked 'out of 10' though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am not including those who genuinely have a learning difficulty such as dyscalculia.

Strange that, back in the late 60s, and early 70s, nobody ever seemed to have dyscalculia :huh:
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Strange that, back in the late 60s, and early 70s, nobody ever seemed to have dyscalculia :huh:

No they were just considered 'stupid' and given no support. The same way no one had dyslexia, or autism, or any other issue.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I imagine you don't have any more information on why this particular essay was marked 'out of 10' though.

Afraid not.

I saw the marked essay, but, as it wasn't my child, I didn't get to question the teacher.

When I was at school, most of our work was marked out of 10.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No they were just considered 'stupid' and given no support.

I guess my class was lucky, in that none of the pupils were considered 'stupid'.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Afraid not.

I saw the marked essay, but, as it wasn't my child, I didn't get to question the teacher.

When I was at school, most of our work was marked out of 10.

I've worked in many schools, across most of the age ranges, (not all, admittedly) and have never seen English essay work marked out of ten. Its completely unhelpful to the child unless they can qualify that against something. I'd be complaining about that policy rather than the child's spelling.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure