I despair of the education system.

Options
I was in a certain bargain store earlier, and was being served by a young woman. I'd estimate late teens.

One of the items was a tray of 12 cans. She started counting them, so I said "There's 12. Four by Three".

Her reply was "I'm not very good at maths".

When she'd rung up all the items, she told me it was £19-01.

I gave her a £20 note, and a penny.

She tried to give me 1p in change.

Comments

• Stuart788
    Stuart788 Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    There's always been stupid people or rather people who struggle with maths regardless of educational standards. I hate comments like yours because it's usually from self righteous snobs who think they're better than other generations.

Why not just tell your story, which didn't need embellishing, and have a few links instead of insulting everyone not lucky not enough to have in your mind your type of education.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't think it's down to being stupid. I think it's down to the recent education system, where learning your times tables (or indeed, how to do sums without a calculator) isn't considered necessary.

I don't consider myself to be exceptionally gifted, yet I, along with everyone else in my class, learned their times tables, and how to do simple mental arithmetic.
  • Stuart788
    Stuart788 Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Look beyond the Daily Mail headlines.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 January 2016 at 5:40PM
    Options
    If it's not down to the teaching methods, how is it that every single pupil in my class (all 33 of them), left school, knowing their times tables?
    Stuart788 wrote: »
    Look beyond the Daily Mail headlines.

My brother went to see my nephew's English teacher, to ask how he got 10/10 for his essay, when it was full of spelling mistakes.

The answer?

"We don't concern ourselves with spelling. We're only interested in ideas and content".

FGS, this is an ENGLISH lesson.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with you Bedsit Bob being a member of the "much older generation" we were taught our times table "parrot fashion" and I have never had a problem working out costings.Too many people these days seem to think that they can use smartphones ect put the sums in and get the answer that way but do not have any reply when I have asked how do they know that the answer they get is the right one.
    I know teaching methods change over time but IMO the way we were taught tables was by far the best way
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I don't think it's down to being stupid. I think it's down to the recent education system, where learning your times tables (or indeed, how to do sums without a calculator) isn't considered necessary.

I don't know where in the country you live but I can tell you that here children learn their times table and mental arithmetic and have weekly maths tests from an early age.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to teach students on an A level equivalent course, all of whom had at least a C for GCSE Maths. It was always depressing when about half the group used a calculator to work out a 50% discount.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some oldies aren't any better.

Every time I go out for a meal with my older friends it's left to me to divvy up the bill.

I don't think it's an age thing.
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's not down to the teaching methods, how is it that every single pupil in my class (all 33 of them), left school, knowing their times tables?

My brother went to see my nephew's English teacher, to ask how he got 10/10 for his essay, when it was full of spelling mistakes.

You may be extremely good at multiplication, but it would seem that only 32 members of your class left school knowing how to use commas appropriately!
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I was chatting with my Mother a few days ago. She works at a local school for elevens and under. She told me children there still learn times tables up to 12x12.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure