The Demotivator Tool

edited 14 June 2010 at 10:46AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
35 replies 19.6K views

Replies

• skylightskylight Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My OH has gone potty that he works 1 week a year to pay for his mother and I to have coffee and a muffin once a week.

Far too much money. But I pointed out that he works 6 weeks a year just to smoke. He noted that therefore his smoking is hard-earnt and he therefore deserves it!
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Climbgirl - we had a long debate about the name

In many ways its because "The Demotivator" is actually a sexier name than "The Motivator" and it makes people take a look out of intrigue

And the idea is it demotivates you from spending.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • climbgirl wrote: »
    Great tool but I thought the name was kind of strange - shouldn't it be the motivator tool to motivate you to stop wasting money?!?

I don't need to be demotivated any more than I already am when it comes to money matters!

climb thats what i though but then i guess it demotivates you from buying that coffee each day/choc/magazine. I guess it works both ways...
  • VickyA_2VickyA_2 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It made me feel quite ill when I realised how much money I was spending on stuff that I need to cut back on (ie cola and a choccy bar once a week).

I've sent a link to my friend who over-spends, but admits to needing to cut back. Maybe this will be the thing to demotivate her from buying the unnecessary things.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 declared
  • GingerSteGingerSte Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    :rolleyes: ste :rotfl:

What?!?! :p
  • lemontartlemontart Forumite
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    really makes the point seeing it total up the spending even the 35p listings mag a week .....................when I can see info free online why do I bother

Liz
    xx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • KimberleyKimberley Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lemontart wrote: »
    really makes the point seeing it total up the spending even the 35p listings mag a week .....................when I can see info free online why do I bother

Liz
    xx

Me as well, i buy the Sun and Mirror everyday when i can read them online. I'll not buy another paper from today.
  • :o I've just worked out I work for 3.7 weeks a year to pay for newspapers, Sky and the odd picture - my main "discretionary" spending! Sound good to me since they make my life much more pleasant! I don't get this idea that spending money on Starbucks/junk food etc is to be avoided. Surely we don't go to work just to pay the mortgage do we? Let's live a little!! And Starbucks coffe tastes better than any I've managed to make in my esspresso machine at home!

eweytlmoiiyow, I think I knew I was spending a lot on stuff I don't need or that doesn't bring anything to my life. But seeing it in black and white and all added up was quite eye-opening. I'm at least going to try and think before I spend money on 'crap' next time![/quote]
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's a great tool, Martin - it's already put me off renewing my computer magazine subscription. It'll probably put me off going to visit Mrs Mothballs & my in-laws as well, who I haven't seen for 2 years (long story short: she's helping to look after an elderly relative) if I could just figure out to enter my numbers... :D
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
  • I'm being really sad here no doubt, but how does it work out how many weeks you need to work a year?
    Debts
    Barclaycard - £1000
    Vanquis - £250
    Overdraft - £1700

Debt Free Date - October 2008
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides