The Demotivator Tool

edited 14 June 2010 at 10:46AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
35 replies 19.6K views

Replies

• AndrewRH wrote: »
    Bug - clear the results then do another one. Print it and see the previously cleared one still there (perhaps bug if only use exactly same name for item?)

Thanks - fix has just been uploaded. should come into play pretty soon today depending on browser caches etc
  • GM1966GM1966 Forumite
    5 Posts
    Ok, a cappucino's a very nice drink - I love them and I'm not going to do without. But let's look at the facts. My fave coffee shop is Starbucks. Some of their drinks range from £1.50 for a standard coffee to over £3.00 for a large cappucino/latte.

Given that coffee beans cost £4.00 for 250g and milk costs 35p a pint, just think of how many cappucinos you could make for £4.35 - and how many Starbucks have to sell to make £4.35. Big difference!

Don't let them rip you off. You can make your own with a decent espresso machine (costing no more than £200) then you can make maybe 15 for the price of just one of theirs.

Oh and by the way, coffee doesn't cost £4.00 for 250g either. I bought 1KG wholesale for £5 a few years ago. Ok, it wasn't as nice as Starbucks, but it was a fraction of the price.

Bottom line - if you're stupid enough to pay, the firms will charge what they like.
  • GemmzieGemmzie Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Love it - I've always thought of purchases in terms of hours worked, gives a good idea of whether it's worth it or not.

Agree with PAP too, a one off item would be useful too!
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • Just be a little careful about the wall chart feature unless you don't mind giving your salary details away as part of a simple mathematical quiz, other than that nice tool!
  • poorbutrichpoorbutrich Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Another brilliant tool - thanks Martin!

I put the figures in for my cider habit and when it said: "Just think what you could spend this on", I thought "I could spent it on cider"...
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrichpoorbutrich Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for killing the thread with my dumb comments, thought this should be on the front page....BUMP!
    Overpay!
  • bailsbails Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    I really like it! Great way to see in black and white what you're really spending. I'm going to pick one thing I don't really need, give it up and use the lump sum for something ace!

Will also get my OH to have a play with it (boys love their toys) and hope he's even more money saving!

Thanks Martin and the team!
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • GingerSteGingerSte Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Apparently over the course of my life I'll spend £270,000 on strippers and beer.

A bargain really!
  • GingerSte wrote: »
    Apparently over the course of my life I'll spend £270,000 on strippers and beer.

A bargain really!

:rolleyes: ste :rotfl:
  • climbgirlclimbgirl Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Great tool but I thought the name was kind of strange - shouldn't it be the motivator tool to motivate you to stop wasting money?!?

I don't need to be demotivated any more than I already am when it comes to money matters!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News