New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

The Demotivator Tool

edited 14 June 2010 at 11:46AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
35 replies 18.5K views
Former_MSE_WendyFormer_MSE_Wendy Campaigns Manager
929 posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
✭✭✭
edited 14 June 2010 at 11:46AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
This thread is specifically for discussing the new Fun Demotivator Tool 'The Demotivator' in the Stop Spending article.
Questions and comments on the Stop Spending article itself can be made in this Stop Spending article discussion.

To discuss the demotivator or ask a question: click reply
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Replies

• CrownCrown Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Thanksfor this. I had already worked out that I was wasting a fortune but this tool is excellent!

My downfall is buying junk food on the way home from work and although not every day it adds up. According to 'The Demotivator' I work 3 weeks a year for food that makes me fat and I dont really enjoy...

Another cool toy play with.. cheers Martin and team! :beer:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • CTT_2CTT_2 Forumite
    403 posts
    I spend 50p a day on coffee and according to the calculator I spend over £8,000 over the course of my working life. Total crap but fun.
  • elantanelantan Forumite
    20.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok i have just had a wee quick peek at this and i like it makes me feel a wee bit guilty however but maybe that's a good thing will spend more time on it i reckon...anyone else?
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
  • That's quite cool!
    :D GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts
    March NSD 5/10 March Make £5 Day £99.28/£155
  • I don't need a tool to tell me I spend too much money on crap... :rotfl:
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • This is FANTASTIC.... I'm definately gonna show this to OH so he can shock himself by seeing how much pizza and beer ACTUALLY costs :eek:

Great tool Martin, thanks!
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • Wow, I think I knew I was spending a lot on stuff I don't need or that doesn't bring anything to my life. But seeing it in black and white and all added up was quite eye-opening. I'm at least going to try and think before I spend money on 'crap' next time!
  • i do this all the time but with my trusted calculator... now martin can do all the work for me... thanks :D

martin can you add a 'once' choice (in the how many times do you buy it) though, then people can work out how many hours they have to work to afford the new £900 tv they are about to purchase :rolleyes: dont know if it can work though :confused:

• Bug - clear the results then do another one. Print it and see the previously cleared one still there (perhaps bug if only use exactly same name for item?)
  • tealadytealady Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tried it, loved it. When I saw how many weeks I have to work to pay for my bad habits it was a real eye opener.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support