Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice needed for PRC inspection certificate

Good morning, Can someone please give me some advise. I am currently in the process of a right to buy, my house was a Woolaway type but was repaired in 1989. The mortgage company is saying they need a PRC inspection certificate otherwise they will not proceed. I have contacted the original company who over saw the work and they have told me certificates were only given to private homeowners in the street at the time. I have tried speaking to the council but they are not being very helpful. I have googled how to get a certificate and it seems quite costly. Should I be getting the house cheaper as there is no certificate and/or should the council be paying for a certificate as they are the seller?
Any advise would be good thanks


  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Not an area I know much about, but I think anyone here is going to ask how the council aren't being helpful.

    How did you contact them? Whom did you speak with/hear from? What did they say, exactly?

    Even in 1989, councils were accountable for their spending, so they ought to have records of which properties were improved and what was done.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The council don't need to help you make the property mortgageable, but as they've surely had identical queries before from other tenants I would have thought the answer is on file somewhere.
  • The property was owned by woodspring council at the time, they then changed to North somerset council, then in 2005 Alliance homes took over the council houses. There is a record on the file saying the repairs were done but I seem to be going around in circles. the lender will not accept a letter from Alliance homes and the company the oversaw the work saying it was done they want a certificate but am not really sure where to start
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    What repair was done? As far as I recall the only proper structural repair was to demolish the external concrete panel walls and re-build in traditional brick/block effectively making it a traditional house.

    I did a lot of Woolaways about 20 years ago when we just repaired the defective concrete panels and applied external wall insulation which was supposed to give them an extra 20 years life.

    They were the 2 storey house variety, not bungalows and we found tremendous variation in the condition of the houses (mostly due to small changes in the original make up of the concrete panels) , quite a few were condemned and demolished as they were just too far gone to repair.

    Of all the PRC houses I worked on the Woolaways were the worst, I would expect a considerably lower market value unless the full re-build repair has been completed. Having said that I would be very surprised if the average mortgage valuer knew what a Woolaway was let alone understand the construction issues so may give it a higher value based on ignorance.
  • Thanks for the replies. As far as i am aware they were all done properly in the street as my neighbours have their original certificates. The original valuer that came out for the council valued it at £175000, then one came from a building society mortgage company and he didn't say anything about it but that mortgage didn't happen for personal reasons and was put on hold for a bit. I had the valuer come out before xmas and he sent in a valuation saying he can not put a value on it and is defective, but Alliance homes say it's not
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    So what is it, Brick and Block or that horrible pebbledash render on rigid foam insulation?
  • It's Brick and block
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The council owned properties didn't have to have a PRC repair certificate because they did not have mortgages. The councils were free to do what they wanted. Some of their repair jobs weren't any good, some of them were up to standard.

    I'm afraid you will have to pay for an inspection of the property. You should get the council's permission as it may involve drilling the odd hole to take a look.
    The second of these issues can be a little more complicated to deal with, over the years many different Engineers, Local Authorities and construction companies have come up with and carried out their own solutions to the PRC problem, some of these may be acceptable to lenders others are definitely not.
    In some cases works have been undertaken on properties but no documentation is available to prove the suitability of the repair. Local Authorities often carried out repair programs but never issued PRC Certificates, alternatively documentation and evidence of repair has been lost over the years. This is a key issue and continues to prevent existing and prospective owners from raising the finance required.
    This issue can often be overcome as long as the repair was carried out correctly. PRC Homes UK Ltd are happy to consult on the re-certification of a correctly repaired property or will provide a report and recommendation on repairs that do not meet the required standard as set down in the Housing Defects Act 1984.
    How to Arrange a Retrospective PRC Certificate

    The PRC Repair Co has arranged for hundreds of replacement PRC certificates over the last few years and all have been accepted by high street mortgage lenders.
    We offer a highly competitive price £895 inc vat and we do not charge if a certificate cannot be issued. We also do not charge an upfront fee to arrange an inspection.
    Simply call 08000 121361 or email your details
    PRC Certificate how to get started

    DSC_0610-300x223.jpgUnity type 2
    We have been receiving quite a few enquiries for a PRC Certificate from clients looking to sell or take out a mortgage on a repaired PRC Home. A lot of PRC Houses have been repaired over the years by the Local Authority without a PRC Certificate being issued. If you are finding it impossible to arrange a mortgage on your home give us a call for expert help.
    We will arrange an inspection of your property to determine which PRC licensed repair scheme was used.
    Issue a retrospective PRC Certificate, we can usually arrange issue of the replacement PRC Certificate in 5 days.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • So do you think I should be getting the house cheaper than it was valued as a traditional house?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    choginosh wrote: »
    So do you think I should be getting the house cheaper than it was valued as a traditional house?

    If the walls have been replaced by brick & block, then it is a traditional house. You just have to prove it to the lender.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards