🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Does regular cheap and cheerful PAYG still exist.

Options
I want to buy PAYG sim card on EE with £10 credit.

On most websites there are plans with 'data' that require some sort of monthly top up which I do not want.

All I want is to be able to make the odd call, I understand I have to make at least one call every 6 months or the credit expires.

Does such a simple PAYG plan exist and if so where can I buy one online?

Comments

• mikegahan
    mikegahan Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    Try Three mobiles 3 2 1 payg plan, the rates are very cheap, and you pay for only what you use ; if you do not want data you will not get charged for it, you can get a dedicated SIM card free of charge from them, or very cheaply in Ebay, many pound shops have them also
  • mikegahan
    mikegahan Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    NB Virtually all PAYG plans insist on a transaction every six months or so, even a text or a quick call
  • RonWooney
    RonWooney Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at the 321 payg plan, would that actually work on my mobile that is on EE or do I have to buy another mobile?

I plan to have the phone as a backup, so will rarely use it, does look like I'll be forced to use it once every six months to prevent it from expiring.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    RonWooney wrote: »

On most websites there are plans with 'data' that require some sort of monthly top up which I do not want.

All I want is to be able to make the odd call, I understand I have to make at least one call every 6 months or the credit expires.

You don't have to top up monthly or buy a pack to make calls and send text messages.

Standard EE rates are:

EE.png

However, if I were you, I'd get a Delight Mobile SIM. Delight runs on EE's network, but offers voice calls at 3p/min and (standard) text messages at 2p each. Details and free SIM here.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2016 at 9:12PM
    Options
    http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim
    Order it, then top up.
    Yes, they do their best to mislead you into regular topups, but all networks offer pure traditional PAYG. Just don't buy packs/bundles/whatever or cancel it if they, like EE automatically opt you in when you order a sim:
    http://ee.co.uk/help/my-account/pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go-packs-how-they-work#ee
    if you don’t have a pack, you'll pay for things from your credit at our standard rates
    How to stop a pack You can stop your next pack from starting through My Account on ee.co.uk or the My EE app. Your current pack will continue until it ends or all your allowances are exhausted.
    Log in to My Account, click Pack and add-ons in the menu, and under Next pack, click CHANGE or REMOVE.
    Or text STOP PACK to 150.
    That said, without checking I think EE's 'standard rates' are rip-off, and you can find much cheaper ones elsewhere. Three's 321 tariff is a sort of benchmark, but requires a 3g-capable phone. Delight Mobile offer the same prices on EE signal.
    Yes, I don't know any network that doesn't offer a 'simple' PAYG.
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    You don't have to top up monthly or buy a pack to make calls and send text messages.
    You don't have to, but AFAIK, EE do this for you as long as you have credit or top up. You do have to stop them doing this in the first place.
  • RonWooney
    Options
    Problem is both EE and Delight PAYG bundles seem to be valid for 30 days before they need to be renewed.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2016 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Don't buy bundles. As simple as that.
    At Delight you don't even need to stop or opt out of anything. Simply don't buy. Bundles are optional - only if you want it.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Problem is both EE and Delight PAYG bundles seem to be valid for 30 days before they need to be renewed.

Are you not reading replies?

You don't have to buy a bundle.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Some people just can't seem to get their head round it! They just see the bundles and can't understand that they are just an extra on top of the standard PAYG and not instead of.
  • RonWooney
    Options

My reply regarding bundles was to you, not grumbler, so it looked like I completely ignored all his information about bundles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport