2016 - A year of 16 Challenges

Options

Comments

• rdone
    rdone Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 January 2016 at 3:30PM
    Options
    I actually thought of the last 6 pretty quickly after I had a read through all of yours again. Some have been copied off a few of you but take it as a compliment!

My list is:
    1. Declutter 2016 items

2. Read 16 Books
    I am currently reading Anne Franks diary as we have just come back from Amsterdam. :)

3. Make 3 homemade meals a week
    1/3 so far. Monday I went to a friends and even though it was home made we didn't cook it. :)

4. 16 no spend days a month
    Hasn't happened today :(

5. Exercise 4 times a week (I have signed up to a triathlon in July so this is a must!) The triathlon is for my Duke of Edinburgh diamond challenge and a month before the wedding. Have been having back trouble but need to slowly get back into it!
    Have signed up to that bounts app that was in today's email, I'm surprised by how many steps a day I average without trying. :)

6. I currently do the VSPC in which I do a daily, weekly and monthly challenge. Daily is on the 1st Jan put £3.66, 2nd £3.65 etc until the 31st Dec is 1p. Have done it opposite to most people as I felt I'd be more enthusiastic in the beginning and also get more interest! Weekly is rounding my bank account to the nearest £10 at the end of every Sunday and monthly is rounding my salary to the nearest £100.
    Money has been transferred for daily/weekly up until last Sunday. All 3 will be done on Sunday. :)

7. Clean/tidy for 16 minutes per day
    Will definitely do over and above this tonight as my friends are coming over so I can ask them to be my bridesmaids. :)

8. Do at least 3 pages of my Travel scrapbook per month.
    Have made a start with the front page and have split all maps/leaflets/souvenirs into polly pockets of each place.
    1/3 :)

9. Bring a packed lunch at least 16 times a month.
    A little late this month but have done every day this week so far! :)

10. No buying any unnecessary toiletries and using the stash first
    Underway and I now only have one spare shower gel (I had 12 when I started this challenge late last summer) :)

11. When doing craft use up stash in house first, only exception is wedding craft! I have a huge cupboard full of things but always seem to buy new when I want to make something. Allowing the wedding to be an exception as some things I've never had before.
    Bought a few little bits yesterday to put into a bag for my new bridesmaids. They didn't have a letter E for Emily so will be going back today as they said they will be having a delivery. Will update tomorrow!

12. One meal a week to be shopped for in the kitchen cupboards
    This happened last night! :)

13. Do 16 random acts of kindness that cost nothing
    I offered to help my elderly neighbour carry her shopping into her house on my way to work yesterday but she said no. Do we think this counts? :)

14. 16 days out with family/friends that doesn't include holidays
    1/16 - took our nephews to a local crazy golf place :)

15. 16 days out with H2B that doesn't include holiday
    Can't think of any that don't include a weekend away! :(

16. Visit elderly relatives twice a month IN THEIR HOME. I often time a visit to my parents house when I know they'll be there.
    Haven't done this yet :(
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rdone wrote: »
    I offered to help my elderly neighbour carry her shopping into her house on my way to work yesterday but she said no. Do we think this counts? :)

this definitely counts, although it would have been unkind to force it on her!!!

Here's my catch-up for days nine and ten (this challenge is whizzing along!)

1. Take a packed lunch to work at least 16 days a month - (14/16)
    on track, just thursday and friday to go this month :)

2. Do at least 15mins Flylady-ing a day
    Dunno how to motivate myself a bit more with this one. Thinking of tying it in with The Archers (bit sad :o) as that is approx 15mins 6 days a week. I could do flylady while I listen and maybe allow myself to catch up sessions on the sunday omnibus if needed, is that cheating?

3. Reach my step target on Fitbit 25 days a month (10/31)
    well, big thanks to Martin as just like you, rdone, I have signed up to Bounts as an extra incentive and have hit my target already today. I have to own up though that part of that achievement was walking to the shop to buy a bottle of wine! :beer:

4. Use the 'seven' fitness app at least 25 days a month
    Ugh, I'm so rubbish at this one :mad:

5. Achieve 10 No-Spend-Days a month (3/10)
    Damn that wine! Also had a night out yesterday. I've actually been quite surprised how hard it has been to achieve this one.

6. Keep YNAB up to date daily - yes

7. Overpay mortgage by £3600 (£640.47/£5000) :T
    looking good for this month

8. Complete at least 30 surveys per month on survey sites (11/30)
    none yesterday or today :mad:

9. Claim work expenses on time every month (due by 4/2)
    I have started filling this in and intend to submit by the end of the week

10. Meal plan for all week day meals
    Done :D

11. Declutter 2016 items in 2016 - 15/2016
    no new things decluttered yesterday or today :(

12. Unsubscribe from at least one spam email everyday - yep! :)
    This one is probably the easiest one!

13. No buying books or magazines in 2016
    yep!

14. Read 16 books in 2016 0/16
    need to make time for a bit of reading at the weekend.

15. Make one new recipe a month - not yet
    Doesnt look hopeful for this month as I am meal-planned up till the end of the week

16. Batch cook two things for the freezer each month - done for Jan

I love the Random Acts of Kindness idea. The only problem with all you new people joining the thread is that you have much better ideas than me and make me want to add on about an extra 10 challenges! :rotfl:
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My progess so far.....

1. Lose 16lb (I need to lose lots more, but if I achieve this it will be a first
    Starting weight 15st 12 1/2lb - weight today 15st 12lb. 0.5/16

2. Exercise everyday for at least 16 minutes (might help with No. 1 )
    Walked to work yesterday....now I know why I have a car. It wasn't raining when I left home but was cats and dogs by the time I got to work. Phoned DH to pick me up :o

3. De-clutter 16 things from the house each month (this can be through chucking out, free-cycling, eBaying etc)
    2 things listed on the local Facebook for sale page - not sold so need to rethink price/advertising,i.e perhaps try ebay. Nothing else sorted out yet.

4. 16 NSDs each month
    Because I am starting this during the last week of January I am aiming for 4 NSDs this week. 2 days this week so far :D

5. Plan meals each week in advance (which will hopefully help with No. 4)
    Meal plan done
    · Sunday (today) Roast Lamb - it was lovely
    · Monday –Steak and stir fry for DH and Chicken breast and stir fry for me lovely
    · Tuesday – Pork chops, new pots, cauliflower, carrots lovely
    · Wednesday – Bolognaise......er no...had friends over who treated us to Kentucky:j
    · Thursday – Boiled Gammon, new pots, peas and sweetcorn
    · Friday – Plaice and chips (home cooked so as healthy as I can get it with baked potato wedges rather than chips, and breadcrumbed fish)
    · Saturday – Jacket potatoes with tuna mayo/sweetcorn filling
    I have everything I need in the freezer/store cupboard except for the new potatoes so if I buy those tomorrow I should be able to stick to NSDs the rest of the week.

6. Plan 16 fun weekends in 2016 with the grandchildren
    I’ve booked for 3 of our grandchildren to stay next weekend and have a craft day with me (making minions out of loo rolls - which is a cheap day for me) and then a movie night with home-cooked popcorn)

7. Handmade birthdays/Christmas - make at least 16 gifts in 2016
    See No. 12 below….this is one that is going to take some time to achieve each gift – watch this space! No progress on this yet

8. Saving £1 per day for Christmas 2016 (£54 in the pot already)
    I've upped this challenge to £2 per day and because of an unexpected 'bank error' in my favour (aka AI insurance refund) I have managed to stash away £124/£732

9. Reduce our debt by £16,000 in 2016
    This is going to be a bit slow for Feb and March as we are on token payments for 2 months, but this is a definite goal which should be achievable with a bit of work. No updates

10. 16 minutes each day of chores I wouldn’t usually do (so tidying the kitchen after dinner doesn’t count )
    I'm actually enjoying this part of the challenge. I've now cleaned out the meter cupboard, the bathroom cupboard, the downstairs loo cupboad and the small cupboard in the hall. They were all rubbish collection places.

11. Read 16 books in 2016 (sorry I can’t aim for 16 per month)
    I’ve just started The Runaway Jury by John Grisham Slowly but surely. Really enjoying the book but it's slow going.

12. Learn 16 new things in 2016 that'll help me be more frugal eg baking own bread sewing on buttons etc (this idea has been shamelessly stolen from Tjh1412)
    I have been given a sewing machine so I am going to find some youtube videos to give me some ideas. I’m hoping this will help with No.7 No progress :o

13. 16 days each month where I don’t watch TV (catching up on the news when I get in from work doesn’t count – I need to see what’s happening in the world). I should add TV may go on because DH will watch it, but I aim to not in the room or doing something towards achieving Nos. 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, and 12).
    2 days this week. It's been easier than I thought. Not sure how long DH is going to last though - he is having withdrawal symptoms and I think by tomorrow we will get to the tremors stage of the withdrawal process:rotfl:

14. Phone and/or visit mum and elderly relatives at least once each week
    Phoned mum 3 times this week:D

15. Project Life – for me this is as much about scrapbooking old photos as it is taking new photos and scrapbooking those. So my goal is to create 16 scrapbook pages every 2 months – total of 96 pages for the year. My scrapbooking is the digital kind so it’s cheap because I already have loads of digital scrapbook stash I can use.
    I’ve sorted out ten photos today and made use 5 of them to make one scrapbook page. 1/96 completed then. No further progress:o

16. Have 16 days with all my family in 2016 (that’s my children, their partners and their children, i.e. my grandchildren). As this is more than one per month it might be difficult to get them altogether 16 times in one year…but I aim to try.
    We had a whole family day on 3rd January, so I am going to count that as my 1/16. I need to start planning and organising day 2. No further progress:o
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • rdone
    Options
    emg wrote: »
    this definitely counts, although it would have been unkind to force it on her!!!

I love the Random Acts of Kindness idea. The only problem with all you new people joining the thread is that you have much better ideas than me and make me want to add on about an extra 10 challenges! :rotfl:

Awesome, I thought so to. I offered and sometimes in the past she has said yes. It's really making me think about what I can do to help people more.

I know, the challenges people come up with are great! It's surprising what you can think of when you want to. I like a list and a challenge, I never fail to complete them!! Even if they take a lot longer than first expected.
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

• emg
    Options
    Here's my catch-up for day eleven

1. Take a packed lunch to work at least 16 days a month - (15/16)
    one day to go, it's a new record, all my workmates are impressed!

Sticking with my omnibus idea to do a catch up at the weekend!

3. Reach my step target on Fitbit 25 days a month (11/31)
    Yay! still inspired by the Bounts points (well it is only the 2nd day!) and I even took a bracing walk along the sea front after work today to top up my total.

Came home from my bracing walk and did the seven app, not sure what came over me!

5. Achieve 10 No-Spend-Days a month (4/10)
    Luckily still had wine left from yesterday, havent spent anything today :T

looking good for this month

8. Complete at least 30 surveys per month on survey sites (12/30)
    one today but it took about half an hour to complete :mad:

Will need to add the last expense tomorrow afternoon and then can submit

no new things decluttered today :(

yep!

still planning to make time for a bit of reading at the weekend.

Maybe on sunday???? watch this space!

Felt a bit more back on track today - can't imagine how it will be by December - which of us will still be here ready for the 2017 thread? :rotfl:
  • rdone
    Options
    1. Declutter 2016 items
    Need to start this one! :(

2. Read 16 Books
    Read more of Anne Frank last night, it's so good! :)

3. Make 3 homemade meals a week
    3/3 complete! :)

4. 16 no spend days a month
    Successful yesterday, not counting this really though until February :)

5. Exercise 4 times a week (I have signed up to a triathlon in July so this is a must!) The triathlon is for my Duke of Edinburgh diamond challenge and a month before the wedding. Have been having back trouble but need to slowly get back into it!
    Bounts app is motivating me. Been to the gym yesterday morning and just now, it makes me feel so much better about myself! I will get through this triathlon. :)

6. I currently do the VSPC in which I do a daily, weekly and monthly challenge. Daily is on the 1st Jan put £3.66, 2nd £3.65 etc until the 31st Dec is 1p. Have done it opposite to most people as I felt I'd be more enthusiastic in the beginning and also get more interest! Weekly is rounding my bank account to the nearest £10 at the end of every Sunday and monthly is rounding my salary to the nearest £100.
    Money has been transferred for daily/weekly up until last Sunday. All 3 will be done on Sunday. :)

7. Clean/tidy for 16 minutes per day
    Did about an hour yesterday. :)

8. Do at least 3 pages of my Travel scrapbook per month.
    Have gathered everything from Amsterdam last weekend and put in a polly pocket.
    1/3 :)

9. Bring a packed lunch at least 16 times a month.
    A little late this month but have done every day this week! :)

10. No buying any unnecessary toiletries and using the stash first
    Found two tester foundations so have taken them to the gym to use :)

11. When doing craft use up stash in house first, only exception is wedding craft! I have a huge cupboard full of things but always seem to buy new when I want to make something. Allowing the wedding to be an exception as some things I've never had before.
    Have purchased nothing further :)

12. One meal a week to be shopped for in the kitchen cupboards
    Twice this week! :)

Have achieved nothing more :(
    1/16

14. 16 days out with family/friends that doesn't include holidays
    2/16 - my maid of honour, bridesmaids, mum and myself are going out for lunch and drinks tomorrow :)

15. 16 days out with H2B that doesn't include holiday
    Going up to Cardiff tonight to a gig and staying in a posh hotel (that I got at a very large discount)
    1/16 :)

16. Visit elderly relatives twice a month IN THEIR HOME. I often time a visit to my parents house when I know they'll be there.
    Haven't done this yet :(
    My debt free diary

• Tjh1412
    Tjh1412 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Will post my full updates tomorrow, just wanted to say paid 389.24 off my cc today so this challenge has been a huge help :)
  • Philliper
    Options
    Morning 16ners! It's been a busy week - I've started a new course which is taking up time, but should result (eventually) in a pay rise. Everyone else's progress always motivates me - wish I had more time to pop in.

Anyway, here's my update for the week:

1. Read 16 books this year
    Still reading book No. 2 - it is long!

2. Save £1 a day in the Xmas challenge
    Deposited more money this morning and I'm on target :)

3. Declutter 2016 items from my home
    About 15 items have gone this week.

4. Have 16 no spend days a month
    I'll tally up tomorrow, but I could fall short this month - had only two this week.

5. Keep up with the Fly Lady challenge
    Disgraceful lack of progress here :o

6. Have a handmade Christmas (we did this a couple of years ago and it was well-received)
    Nothing done yet

7. Save in the 365 Xmas accumulator (not sure what to call it - 1p on 1 Jan, 2p on 2 Jan, etc throughout year)
    Doing well :)

8. Make at least £16 extra per month (Ebay, writing sites etc)
    Stroke of luck - got paid for advertising revenue on old blogs from Google. It's probably been two years since the last cheque, so hardly a gold mine :D

9. Make a meal from store cupboard/freezer etc once per month
    Done again this week

10 Try a new recipe once a month
    Did it earlier in the month

11 Create 16 items (knitting, sewing, artwork)
    That jumper is becoming the bane of my life. Thinking of ways to convert it into a bikini ;)

12 Lose 2 lb a month Jan - Jun (I don't have a lot to lose, but need to drop a dress size)
    Yes - clothes getting looser and a friend I haven't seen for a while noticed I'd lost weight

13 Pay off £1600 of debt
    Well, the rate of freefall in our finances has slowed right down; hoping to turn it into a slow climb soon

14 Write 16 blog posts this year (my blog has been neglected to the extent that I've unpublished it for a while)
    Complete failure

15 Write 500 words on book at least 16 times per month
    Ditto

16 Eat at least 5 fruit/veg each day
    Yes - though weekends are more of a problem that weekdays.

Overall, this first month has started well, I think. I just need to focus on a few areas that need more attention. That'll be writing and housework then...
    Debt at 1.1.16: £6,631.51
    Xmas 2016 £1 a day challenge: £61/366
  • emg
    Options
    Here is yesterday's catch up

1. Take a packed lunch to work at least 16 days a month - (16/16)
    hooray! I have tried to get into this habit so many times, I'm hoping I have cracked it.

:mad: We all seem to be struggling with this one!

3. Reach my step target on Fitbit 25 days a month (11/31)
    Yep although I left my fitbit at home by accident so no steps were counted until after work, it was a challenge to get them all in before bedtime!

another fail :(

5. Achieve 10 No-Spend-Days a month (5/10)
    Not great this month but was short as I only joined halfway through, will see how feb goes.

8. Complete at least 30 surveys per month on survey sites (15/30)
    getting there!

EXCITING NEWS!!!! I have submitted 5 days early :rotfl:

no new things decluttered yesterday :(

yep!

still planning to make time for a bit of reading at the weekend.

Maybe on sunday???? watch this space!

*Jobs for the weekend*
    1. flylady through the Archers Omnibus!
    2. Cook something new
    3. Finish my book
    4. Get rid of 10 more things and take bags to charity shop before I change my mind!
    5. Start meal-planning for February
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport