Shells proposed purchase of BG

Options

Comments

• EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    I'm holding about 2% directly in RDSB for the long term,

Well you know the definition of a 'long-term' investment; basically a short-term investment that didn't work out.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be a buyers market once there's clarity on the future dividend policy and the shares rerate.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought my shell shares AGES ago. More than a decade.

I still drive cars so buy petrol. I still have an oil fired rayburn so buy fuel oil. I have a gas hob and BBQ grill so still buy gas.

i am not selling anytime soon.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Well you know the definition of a 'long-term' investment; basically a short-term investment that didn't work out.

Well I planned to hold them all long term, but what you describe is about what happened. Because as index funds became cheaper I decided to switch into them. I sold the profit making shares (except National Grid) to use up my CGT alloance, so am now left holding the losers.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    atush wrote: »

I still drive cars so buy petrol. I still have an oil fired rayburn so buy fuel oil. I have a gas hob and BBQ grill so still buy gas.

We are still going to buy food, but plenty of supermarkets fall by the wayside.
    But when the oil price recovers, the survivors left standing to take advantage of it will be those with strong balance sheets and low production and transport costs. Thats why I'm still holding Shell and BHP.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atush wrote: »

The cars, Rayburn and Shell shares apply to me too, although I've had the shares for about 25 years.

However, given the price of Rayburn spares, perhaps reinvesting in a heating parts manufacturer might be in order!
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    However, given the price of Rayburn spares, perhaps reinvesting in a heating parts manufacturer might be in order!
    As long as you don't try to manufacture in England - Politicians might visit for a photo opportunity but they will tax and regulate you into bankruptcy. Wheras if you hold land or buy to let properties they will throw taxpayers money your way.
  • beezkneez
    beezkneez Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    What's the best option?
    I haven't got a huge amount of shares so was just planning on the default option!
    Thanks
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    But when the oil price recovers, the survivors left standing to take advantage of it will be those with strong balance sheets and low production and transport costs. Thats why I'm still holding Shell and BHP.

That's where Shell struggles production costs of oil are not low. Shell has been diversifying into gas for a while. Needs to in order to counter balance a fluctuating oil price.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do we know the date that this deal is finalised/paid out/certs issued please?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure