IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

3500 appeals will not be fully heard.

Options
Seems like a complete give in to the ppc's by BPA and Popla.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3379976/Fury-parking-fine-appeals-body-decides-3-500-motorists-cases-not-fully-heard.html

Surely not ethical/legal despite Troys attempt to spin it.
I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2015 at 12:44PM
    Options
    This has to be another nail in the Parking Industry's coffin. I foresee hundreds of complaints to Trading Standards Departments.

How long are they going to be allowed to !!!! snooks at consumers? Not too long now I suspect.

Ridiculous nanny filter strike again, when will some person with common sense and the ability so to do sort this out.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems like a complete give in to the ppc's by BPA and Popla.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3379976/Fury-parking-fine-appeals-body-decides-3-500-motorists-cases-not-fully-heard.html

Surely not ethical/legal despite Troys attempt to spin it.

It's time Patrick Troy RESIGNS and the BPA disgarded as a complete waste of time. This is what happens when government try to palm off to the private sector.
    WE NEED A TRUE INDEPENDENT REGULATOR
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111925

3,500 APPEALS @ £100 each is £350.000 into the scammers pockets TOTAL DISGRACE.

This is just the beginning of a greed filled industry robbing people of their money. We all know that £85 - £100 is ridiculous and cannot be substantiated despite the Supreme Court Ruling.

Just a reminder to government .... "it is your voters who are being scammed so let's clean up this scamming industry"
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    It's time Patrick Troy RESIGNS and the BPA disgarded as a complete waste of time. This is what happens when government try to palm off to the private sector.
    WE NEED A TRUE INDEPENDENT REGULATOR
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111925

3,500 APPEALS @ £100 each is £350.000 into the scammers pockets TOTAL DISGRACE.

This is just the beginning of a greed filled industry robbing people of their money. We all know that £85 - £100 is ridiculous and cannot be substantiated despite the Supreme Court Ruling.

Just a reminder to government .... "it is your voters who are being scammed so let's clean up this scamming industry"

no its not!

even after this fiasco , if they want the money its going to cost the PARKING Cos lots of money to go to court and recoup a lesser amount , with the publicity this is making , judges will be clued up and the cases can still be fought.
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • beamerguy
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    no its not!

even after this fiasco , if they want the money its going to cost the PARKING Cos lots of money to go to court and recoup a lesser amount , with the publicity this is making , judges will be clued up and the cases can still be fought.

3.500 court cases ? many who are sick to death with this charade will just pay up, does not follow that judges will be clued up unless directed to.
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 31 December 2015 at 3:27PM
    Options
    It's outrageous ([STRIKE]hope none of our forum posters are among that number[/STRIKE] edit: I see that there is at least one :(), but surely also self defeating madness.

The whole industry is sustained on the presumption that most people will pay and that most who appeal will shoot themselves in the foot, the extra money they have to pay covering the costs of the bureaucracy. To do anything to change the status quo following the Beavis ruling seems insane from their perspective.
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Now this scam is coming to light and the media are digging deeper and deeper into it, may I take this opportunity to remind everyone of a Watchdog programme regarding parking companies.

You might need to watch it a few times but half way through you will see David Evans of the DVLA, he carefully avoids questions by Anne Robinson AND STATES they only release information under strict control. Why then did UKPC after being banned by the DVLA because they tried to defraud, be allowed to continue their scam ?

And then Patrick Troy of the BMA.
    Anne asks him "who pays your salary ?", he stutters, its a question he is not prepared for and then Anne asks, "do the private parking companies fund the BPA", Troy says "no they don't" and then goes on to say "yes they do, they pay a subscription rate" ??

When I first included this link, I posed the question "would you buy a car from this man" ?

So folks in view of the current scandal who do you think pays the ferryman ?

This scandal is going to explode and Troy has the opportunity to come clean as to the workings of the BPA as indeed does David Evans of the DVLA.
    Whatever happens, both of these men should resign and just like many other scams, the "buck passing" will happen.

It is indeed the end for the BPA and with no credibility left, now is the time for the DVLA to pull the plug on all BPA members and refuse access to their database. Assuming that the DVLA WISH TO RETAIN CREDIBILITY.

It is nearly the end for Private parking companies who chose scamming for a living. It may not close them down, but their wings will be severely clipped and I guess we are going to see a lot of heads rolling, from the bottom to the top

Look at the video carefully, the Troy/Evans interview is just over half way through.
    It's a new dawn and it will be very interesting to see how our court system handles it. Highly possible that the Minister for Transport will null and void the 3,500 appeals involved, he has the power to do this and will stop the PPC scammers sending out 3,500 threatening debt collectors letters

WATCHDOG
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlPjpW_6pGc
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thats assuming that the BPA had any credibility to start with, and if they did then what about the IPC/IAS and the red cow brigade?

As for Mr Troy, I cant see any reason why he would want to resign he just works for a private members club with zero responsibility to the public.
    The DVLA on the otherhand...
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2016 at 6:18AM
    Options
    The BPA is much larger then the PPC wing of it's operation, unfortunately up to the introduction of POFA they were given too much credibility in that they and their PPC members could be trusted to run a tight ship.

Whoever checked this legislation needs a good kicking, and those that let it go through need the same.

The first draft if we remember the PPC actually had to place a ticket on the car, making them actually needing to do something resembling car park management.

Troy and his cronies lobbied the MP's to allow ANPR, which was not permitted to be used by councils. Yet these morons let it through. Also allowing the "we should not expect it to be above £100" garbage.

Like most things these dickeads in westminster do of whatever party, they always make an !!! of it.

All they needed to do is insist it is run parallel with council enforcement. How can it be justified that if I park all day on a double yellow line here I would be charged £35 yet go over my time limit in a supermarket and get smacked for £50 to £100.

We can only hope that during the impact assessment revue they look at the lies told beforehand in the build up of POFA , the huge differential between the cost of an official PCN and the PPC's in almost all areas. The dodgey dealings that have gone on, and ask themselves why some PPC's are not even using POFA and still bullying people assuming the RK was the driver.

Our old friend Mr Perkins as much as we have enjoyed our banter over the years had the right idea. Those not permitted to park were offered the option of doing so at a cost. Unfortunately the cost was normally excessive. If the cost was the same as a on street ticket in that area, and the signage was clear then I cant see why anyone could complain if they got a charge. As they are possibly parking in someone's car park to avoid a council PCN anyway.

We ain't going to see the PPC's done away with all we can hope for is legislation, to make the charges fair, to make appeals similar to the appeals for council tickets, which is totally independent, accountable and open to scrutiny. (take note the cow shed)

The best we can hope for is tighter control and hopefully this will be enough to see the bottom feeders off. Look at Trev he could not cope with POFA, imagine having real legislation to deal with.

PS: Happy New Year! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport