What does 'your largest credit card limit is low' mean?

Options

Comments

• LplateSaver
    Options
    At what point does it stop giving that warning/negative? £1800? £2000?
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My score with Clearscore has gone up by 35 points this month even though I have about £9000 just added to my credit card for stoozing purposes.
    Also one search dropped off.
  • tomxlisa
    tomxlisa Posts: 429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about the average age thing that I posted above, is that to be taken note of or is it another credit score (not worth the paper it's written on) type thing?.
  • fruitisbad
    Options
    tomxlisa wrote: »
    What about the average age thing that I posted above, is that to be taken note of or is it another credit score (not worth the paper it's written on) type thing?.

Having had an account for a long time would indicate a level of stability and security so would be a factor, how much it's hard to tell.
  • mj_coop
    Options
    nikkos123 wrote: »
    Hey all!

So I've downloaded the new ClearScore app meaning I've seen my credit score for the first time ever!

As well as the score out of 700, it has broken down the list of positives and negatives on my file.

The only negative is listed as 'your largest credit card limit is low'

I have only one credit card with a £1,400 that I've regrettably never actually used.

What on earth does 'your largest credit card limit is low' mean and how can I fix this?

It may be irrelevant but I have a £2000 overdraft and a loan with £5,500 remaining, the loan I have never missed a payment for meaning I have a quite good overall score
    At what point does it stop giving that warning/negative? £1800? £2000?

I had this issue on my Clearscore and it was bugging me so I called my credit card provider and asked them to up the Limit and this got rid of this negative and in turn created a positive on clearscore. My Limit was £1050 and it went up to £1650. So the threshold must be around £1600 I'd say
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nikkos123 wrote: »
    Hey all!

So I've downloaded the new ClearScore app meaning I've seen my credit score for the first time ever!

As well as the score out of 700, it has broken down the list of positives and negatives on my file.

The only negative is listed as 'your largest credit card limit is low'

I have only one credit card with a £1,400 that I've regrettably never actually used.

What on earth does 'your largest credit card limit is low' mean and how can I fix this?

It may be irrelevant but I have a £2000 overdraft and a loan with £5,500 remaining, the loan I have never missed a payment for meaning I have a quite good overall score

A higher credit limit gives you access to more credit without overstretching your finances or having to apply for new credit. It's telling you to apply for a limit increase. Personally, I just ignore it although it is a negative influence.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just had an email from clear score telling me my score is down. Logged in and the welcome page says my score is actually up 103 points not down. However the number displayed is 103 less than last month! Also no reason is given for the change. Nonsense.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These statements on the CRA score sites are more sales pitches telling you why you need to be concerned and how you could best salve that concern by taking out a paid subscription.
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't open a card with mbna. i got a card with them, and they force you to repay your debts in full each month. pathetic.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,671 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    good grief - are you still on about this?
    I, and many others, have credit cards with MBNA that do not require you to pay in full. Either you have a charge card or you are misunderstanding. Please just call them and sort it out rather than keep posting the same thing on unrelated discussions
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure