What does 'your largest credit card limit is low' mean?

Options
13»

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    john2054 wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't open a card with mbna. i got a card with them, and they force you to repay your debts in full each month. pathetic.
    I have an MBNA card, used to have 2, never forced to repay in full. Sounds like you have the DD set up wrong. You can change that to minimum or a fixed amount. Have you registered on their website mbna.com or are you having trouble navigating the website?
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    mallygirl i've only mentioned it a couple of times. What exactly is your problem?

and nic, it says on my terms and conditions that i have to repay the card, or at least £25 each month. which i still think is taking the !!!!.

but what i don't understand is why every one on here picks on me over this, whilst i have lots of other credit cards, and other valuable contributions i want to make, rather than just being shot down over this same issue, again and again??
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    and nic, it says on my terms and conditions that i have to repay the card, or at least £25 each month. which i still think is taking the !!!!.

So they're not asking you to pay in full every month. Unless you only ever have £25 max spent on your card. You can't get angry over, terms and conditions, that you should have read of card. And if you then just don't use it.

I have two Tesco cards. Both have a minimum repayment of £25. Do I think this is taking the !!!!, as you put it? No. In fact, I'd be quite happy if others did this too. At least you are taking a significant chunk out of the debt each month. With my balance transfer card, I can happily let it run it's full 0% term, knowing the minimum repayments will see it paid off by the time it ends.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't open a card with mbna. i got a card with them, and they force you to repay your debts in full each month. pathetic.

I have a card with them and they certainly don't force payment in full. Why would you want to run a balance unless it's 0% anyway?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mallygirl i've only mentioned it a couple of times. What exactly is your problem?

but what i don't understand is why every one on here picks on me over this, whilst i have lots of other credit cards, and other valuable contributions i want to make, rather than just being shot down over this same issue, again and again??
    Has everyone picked on you about this? You say you have only mentioned it a couple of times (I haven't checked, but assume you know about your own posts :) ) but if the same thing is repeated on unrelated threads it is frowned upon as against the site netiquette.

Credit is a privilege not a right, so if a card provider stipulates a minimum of £25 in T&C then you either accept it if you want the credit or don't take the credit. You can always cancel the card if you find it unacceptable, no one forces you to continue to use it. To be perfectly honest I wish more lenders had responsible minimums since lots of people get into serious debt (and I am not for one instance implying you are) by paying the minimum and hardly making a dent in the outstanding balance.

A few years ago I had a HSBC CC with an opening 0% BT offer, I took advantage of it knowing the fee. Whilst the transfer was 0% the fee wasn't so each month I got interest added because the fee was interest baring whilst the BT balance wasn't and the policy was to pay off lowest interest baring portion off first. Sure I was annoyed at the time, but I simply BT to another card and closed the HSBC one. The point being, no one forced me to continue using the HSBC card and whilst annoying I had to effectively pay a BT fee twice, it does mean I check T&C closely now.
  • john2054
    Options
    whatever. actually i assumed this opus card was the same as my others. And they didn't tell me about this condition until after i had been accepted for the account. Now i have to wait the full 6 years, for it to mature, before i can close it. sounds about right...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    whatever. actually i assumed this opus card was the same as my others. And they didn't tell me about this condition until after i had been accepted for the account. Now i have to wait the full 6 years, for it to mature, before i can close it. sounds about right...

They told you about it in the information you confirmed you had read when you applied for the card.

And you can close the card whenever you want, if it doesn't have a balance. You don't have to wait for it to 'mature'. It's not cheese.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 March 2017 at 8:57AM
    Options

Did you tell the whole story ?? Please elaborate more why did they force you to repay your debts in full each month !

If they did it to every person they would have broken their own T&C.

https://www.mbna.co.uk/understanding-credit/managing-credit/minimum-payments/

Having had their credit card for over ten years and comparing it with other credit cards that I currently have with other banks, I will not call them pathetic.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Please tell the whole story

He won't because he knows he's wrong and an idiot for not reading the T&Cs or reading them and not understanding. Typical attitude at the moment, get something wrong then blame anyone and everyone but yourself.
  • john2054
    Options
    im not wrong and im not an idiot. leave it, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure