PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wort this is for you, sorry I didn`t see your post until just now. I was suddenly widowed 2 years ago, a policeman at the door. I didn`t realise it at the time but when my children came I loaded my husbands things onto them, I had to. Some people cannot do this. It has taken me two years to go through every bit of my home, the photos were difficult but KM was a wonderful way of coping and coming out of that fog. Every time I was able to let something go, it changed me, made me stronger. I empathise about the sympathy cards, I kept them in a box until a short time after the funeral and then they went and I felt such relief, it was as though they were an added weight. Releasing them made me feel lighter. It was a similar feeling to when I scattered some petals about 9 months after and told my husband that he could go, that I would be alright, that I would cope

wort I am so sorry for your loss
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,264 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Kittie your words are so eloquent and heartfelt xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    oh kittie thats lovely,, thank you so much
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

Righty, I didn't get myself organised before work yesterday in respect of donating the skirt, but it's bagged, gift-aid-tagged and ready to roll after work today. I also retrieved, de-buttoned and rag-bagged the very worn pair of work trews which were the only pair I had that fitted until last week - the 8 lb shed in June caused two of the existing, stored pairs to come into the wearability range, not to mention several tops, yippee! I tried on my other skirt, which is a different style but it's a bit too small to be sure whether it suits, so I will re-visit that again in a few months. I'm not really a skirt/ dress person.

wort, thinking of you at this difficult time. There is no 'right' answer about condolence cards, or any of the effects of your dear, late husband, there is only the 'right-for-wort-right-now' answer which may or may not differ further down the line. Go with your heart.

I did smile wryly at the memory of a condolence card which surfaced among the papery stuff from Nan's bungalow last autumn; a condonence card from a friend to my great-grandmother on the passing of her husband, circa 1902. My parents kept it (when I am responsible for it, it will hit the recycling bin in a New York minute).

Have a good day, folks. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just take your time wort. I put all the condolence cards in a box in the loft, I can honestly say I have never looked at them in 11 years but they are still there, not harming anyone. One day I will do something about them but will probably ask the children first.

As GQ says, whatever is right for you is the right thing.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But GQ, I think that card has now acquired protected rights due to its 'vintage' status :rotfl: (Don't you just hate the way 'vintage' is used to describe anything over 20 years old on eBay - along with 'shabby chic' as in 'I've slopped some white paint on it'.)

I hope it's a long time before you inherit it, but I bet someone who isn't an MK convert will buy it!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Kittie, I've got tears in my eyes here, at such a lovely idea of the petals, god bless you.

My sister came with her car and we took all the bags of clothes to the homeless store. The cards went in the recycling yesterday. I had a good clean through the house, and late in the afternoon I attacked the back garden , pruning back and mowing the lawn. There is now some semblance of order, and I feel better about it.
    Tonight 5 of my close friends from work are calling , so I'm hoping the weather is as nice as last night.
    Going to clean the windows then need to go and sort my mobile phone out.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh wort, I wish I could give you a hug. You are approaching life now the same as me, the same as I did. Busy, crazy mad busy, getting to grips with what your psyche tells you needs to be done, the house maintenance, the garden, subconsciously making your home into that nest, in which you feel safe and welcomed. One day you will feel that aura of safety. Wort don`t ignore the aches that come from doing so much plus the cortisol, make sure you get rest periods. I ached for a long time but still couldn`t stop being busy, the house maintenance was killing, the wooden retaining wall preservation, the painting, render repair but I did it and got that tremendous sense of satisfaction of being able to do stuff, myself

We women are programmed to nest build, to build comfort into our lives as much as we can and we follow the twists and turns in that path, being able to do that is called adaptation and if we adapt, then we survive.

KM is happening in my wardrobes lately, stage 3 I suppose but now I am altering what I can, to fit me better, so I actually get to wear things
  • BettiePage
    BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Options
    We chucked out a few more bits yesterday, but pretty much all the boxes from the house move are now unpacked. Almost everything now has a home and so far anyway, seems to be easier to keep things tidy.

I do need to go through my clothes again though, as there seems to be an awful lot still.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I did smile wryly at the memory of a condolence card which surfaced among the papery stuff from Nan's bungalow last autumn; a condonence card from a friend to my great-grandmother on the passing of her husband, circa 1902. My parents kept it (when I am responsible for it, it will hit the recycling bin in a New York minute).
    But GQ, I think that card has now acquired protected rights due to its 'vintage' status :rotfl: (Don't you just hate the way 'vintage' is used to describe anything over 20 years old on eBay - along with 'shabby chic' as in 'I've slopped some white paint on it'.)

I hope it's a long time before you inherit it, but I bet someone who isn't an MK convert will buy it!
    What Polly said :eek:

GQ, if you don't want it, please give it to the local Family History Society! Please! Or the local museum. Anything!
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family