PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ, Silvasava too, sounds wonderful! I do envy you having a shop to play in!

My latest bout of illness has given me some thoughts. Glasses, as in glasses to drink from (not see through :) ). I rarely use a glass, mostly drink water from a bottle or slug some back after emptying my mug of tea before another cuppa is made. But I have a lot of glasses.

- my favourite are 5 tiny ones - small enough for spirits. Freebies, because M&S used to sell really exotic desserts in them.
    - 6 smallish crystal tumblers, none hugely expensive, 4 plain and 2 with that crystal engraving you get. The nicest, the 4, have never been used.
    - 3 odd half-pint glasses. Kept in case I ever drink lager or beer again, or my games evening buddies show up and do same.
    - 4 very old cocktail glasses (from a boot sale)
    - 2 champagne flutes I bought for my mum and dad 20 years ago, which my mum gave back to me about 5 years ago, oops.
    - 3 shot glasses, 2 are in commemoration of Apollo 13 from NASA, one is Terminator 2 from a science fiction convention, all stashed in the half pint glasses above to save space.
    - 2 Turkish tea glasses, complete with cheap metal saucers :)

When we finally declutter my mum's drinks cabinet, probably autumn next year, there are maybe four glasses I'd like to take, all small.

This is agony! They're taking up too much space! Okay:
    - the M&S freebies, the odd one can go, at least the other 4 stack.
    - 2 of the old cocktail glasses can go.
    - the shot glasses, I think I'll sell the T2 one, and I can work towards selling the Apollo 13 set as well.

Even getting rid of the Turkish tea glasses would be a step too far, they're incredibly cheap but they have a feelgood thing going, unlike the shot glasses ... life is hard :rotfl:
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not been a good month for me savings wise, but better than I thought, I do think I can still reach my target. #132 - I have saved £100, bringing my overall total to £1.900. Have a good July everyone.
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Options
    Karmacat- just on here quickly but wanted to reply to say remember to think does this spark joy? It sounds like all your glasses do so i would keep all. Sounds like me with tea sets, complete or otherwise. All give me great joy and I would get rid of other things if I needed the space. Just my thoughts! I have yet to read back so it may be that you want/ need to let some go.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for replying wmf, I was thinking about that ... cheap as they are, the Turkish tea glasses definitely spark joy. Go to any Turkish cafe back then, and thats what your tea would be served in, those are lovely memories. The T2 shot glasses, otoh, doesn't - its just a monument to consumerism. I may offer 2 of the old cocktail glasses to the nephew I went catsitting for last month, he'd just held a cocktail party, no lie :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Happy weekend all.
    I have thrown away a vhs tape today. It was a home video of me and my friends, back in the days when vhs and huge handheld recorders where the thing.
    While it would be nice to re-watch for the memories, I can never see myself buying a vhs player, or sending it off to one of those places that will copy tapes to memory sticks. It's just me and my bestie being silly awkward teenagers.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Kondoites
    Lots of good progress going along, I see.
    I have recently taken a controversial decision to Kondo food. Over a year ago whilst very ill I experimented with a meal replacement powder. You mix it with water and it is nutritionally balanced and contains calories. Note- it's not a "diet shake"!!!! I liked it, and having been very tired lately I purchased some more.
    I've portioned it up in bags and just take them to work with a shaker, then add water to make the drink.
    I know for some people this would be really grim, but I've found it really helpful. I just do not have the energy to shop and cook decent balanced meals and this has removed that struggle, as well as prep, wash up etc. It's also reasonably priced and delivered.
    So for me this has been working and I have "enough" for next week then will order some more. I still eat food as well! Last weekend I had friends over and did a lot of cooking, the food was lovely but it took so much time and effort, it would be nice to eat like that all the time but the reality is I just reach for junk as it's quick and easy so on balance this works better for me.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • enchilada
    enchilada Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning everyone, it's a beautiful day outside so hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

It's been a long time since I posted but I am now happy to report the bags of clothes have FINALLY gone to the charity shop! GreyQueen, you really did make me feel much better about the sunk costs so thank you for that.

And the amazing thing is that, once they were gone, I started looking again at what I'd kept and already have plans for another Kondo. It's amazing how your thinking changes- for instance, I'd kept my suit, which I only ever wore to interviews. But I'd never wear it to an interview now- I work in marketing and generally something a bit more creative is more appropriate. So out it goes.

I'll be moving in the next few weeks and along with that comes some seriously downsized wardrobe space, so as well as Kondoing a lot of what I have I'm also considering doing Project 333. Anyone here done it?
    "I don’t keep up with the Joneses, I try to drag them down to my level" - Quentin Crisp
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 2 July 2017 at 2:00PM
    Options
    Have spent several hours KMing the weeds on the lottie with DH. I decided to be brave and go on my new bike... I am now cream crackered! I did get a few smiles riding home with rhubarb & sweet peas sticking out of the basket though :D

Yesterday I also decided to KM my hair. It has been long & getting longer since before we married in 2010, and as I am slowly turning more ash/ greyish blonde, it was getting harder to keep in good condition. My hairdresser, when told, said "yeah right, so am I taking the usual inch off?" and nearly fell over when I said "jaw length please" :D It now looks fuller, healthier, and I LOVE it!

Need to KM the ironing pile - I cheated by taking DHs t-shirts out for him to do, but there is still about 3 films worth left :( Also want to start my college assignments before I forget what we discussed on Friday. We're not back until late September so plenty of time before the deadline but will be busy job-hunting by August as my contract expires on the 31st.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been shredder bashing again today. Have decided to let go some paperwork from when I started my business 12 years ago. There is no legal reason to keep it, it's just records of what I produce, not even the final product. I've never really looked at them for years, nobody would be interested in them except me. Do I want to pay to move them when we eventually move? No. So they're going. Have started shredding but have run out of boxes to put the shedded paper into (has to go into boxes otherwise it blows around the recycling centre). Will have to wait for another 3 weeks when I get more business stock in which will generate boxes. But I have at least mentally detached from the sentimentality of hanging onto this stuff.

We've managed to cut back a large bush in the garden, and have swept and weeded the section of footpath that runs behind our back fence.

I'm just waiting on butter warming up and will then make rhubarb crumble. Have picked the last of our cherries and raspberries. The birds got a lot of both, but we got good crops this year.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Hi guys, just online for the first time since yesterday morning as am having a well-earned rest from working on the parental garden.

Or, more specifically, working on the small but cluttery patio which has now been scrubbed clean, decluttered, some plant pots re-planted (I treated Mum to two new flowering plants at Liddly this afternoon) and everything generally spuced up. Looks pretty fan-dabby-dozy if I say so myself.:rotfl:

The cats have demonstrated their approval by rolling around in the sun on the freshly-washed concrete, the birds have been picking about in the earth of the expansion joint which runs up the middle of the patio, once Mum & Dad de-dandelioned it.

There is several months of kondo-working possible indoors but it's been such a nice day that I wanted to be out in it. Feel pretty pleased with the transformation, especially as this is the time of year to get out there and enjoy it. Some of the pots were hand-built by moi in the pottery years and there are a couple of my clay sculptures out there too, which have all been given a wash & brush up

enchilda, well done on your wardrobe kondo. I reckon a lot of us have had the experience of doing a really thorough sort-out, thinking that was IT and then casting an eye over the remaining hoard and thinking more could go.

Last week, I tried on a skirt which I haven't been able to fit into for a while, a formal skirt, lined, which I used to like but I've decided that the mid-calf length is a bit frumpy, even on a leggy wench like me.

I'm not about to revert to my late teens/ early twenties, when I often wore mini-skirts (and once caused a very minor traffic accident due to some bloke not keeping his eyes on the road - legs were much shaplier then) but I think a more tailored skirt at a shorter length would be more flattering.

So that one can go. Mind you, I wear a skirt about as often as a blue moon occurs so that's not really a major issue.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills