KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
9.2K replies 1.2M views

Replies

• PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, turn my back for a couple of hours and there's four pages to read! Greent thanks for the new thread, I think I might join the FB group.
    GQ well done on the parental progress, I hope they can keep on top of it when you go home. Completely agree - getting it out of the house is absolutely key, and when I felt bogged down it was usually because I'd got too much stuff waiting to depart.

Fuddle, I only use a sieve for flour. Got me thinking - I cook rice in the microwave in a thingy that has its own drainer, or I have a Lakeland gadget that you put at the edge of the saucepan and pour through. The lesson is (probably) that the sieve did spark joy when new, but now it doesn't - no need to feel guilty, thank it and move on.

And Lessonlearned, it's really hard to let go of things in those circumstances. Don't push yourself too hard, if it feels too much then put the stuff on one side - as you continue Kondoing you'll hone your skills and you may view it differently on a revisit.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome Ali
    Cut your self some slack your real and real life gets in the way sometimes.

I love this method you aren't fitting about tackling different areas. You move on to each category when that's done and it stays that way.
    When you wash you fold see the job through. Clear the excess out of your home and never replace it. Be a smart shopper not a consumer just because it could make you look or feel good. You buy because you genuinely need it not want it. Yes look at it on line or in the shops and say is this a want or a need. Hope that helps.
    I agree the book is sometimes not practical. Try coming in from the school run or work and emptying one handbag and sitting in a quiet spot with classical music playing and siipping herbal tea. Yeah right!
    However it can't be said too much it's not lik any other declutter book
    It changes your mindset it works!
    Keep popping in to post let us know how you are doing.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • edited 31 December 2015 at 10:56AM
    silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2015 at 10:56AM
    greentiger wrote: »
    Lovely and tidy in here!

Grey Queen, my Latin's very rusty but veni, vidi, eradici may be what you're looking for. Veni, vidi - definitely correct.

Love it Greentiger - much better than veni vidi visa (I came I saw I spent!) and very suitable for our MK outlook. Sounds a bit like a Harry Potter spell.........hmmmm ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • So, so far today I have kondoed a table cloth. I was in 2 minds as I like it, I like the pattern and it does look nice when on the table. However, it's 100% cotton, needs ironing to perfection and alas, with 3 kiddies my house is no show home and I was finding that a splash of spag bol made my anxiety and ocd go crazy and I was worrying about the tablecloth getting dirty! How crazy is that!!! So no more tablecloth. I feel bizarely very relieved about that decision.

Then onto a pair of sandals that are very tatty. Unfortunately they are the only pair that fit my very wide, very fat feet (m&s footglove) and I have no others, but I LOVE them! So I am keeping them, for now at least, and my aim is to shift a few pounds and then get a nice new pair that I love in the summer. Tatty sandals are safe - for now lol!
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved her book and it really has made a difference to how I live and how my home feels. I donated so much stuff and I prefer my home being more restful and calm. :)

Her new book comes out on 7th January.
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    I kondoed two lovely but not for me pairs of shoes to my mum, they were going to the CS but offered her first dibs knowing she'd only take them if she really liked and wanted them, also gave her a carrier bag if books and DVDs, which she'll pass on to friends or CS when she's done.
    Looking round more left than came in at Christmas as lots was food drink of toiletries

Going out for dinner with friends at lunchtime then got kids plus partners round to see in the new year and all back again for dinner tomorrow, will need one of them to pick mil up as she can't walk far at all now
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • jackiebjackieb Forumite
    27.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jinny wrote: »
    Hi JackieB:wave: saw your post when I got up to make a cuppa
    I'm having an insomnia night. That said I get less of them now I'm sure it's will being Kondoed
    Welcome to the thread you won't regret it one bit
    It can be a bit distruptive and daunting at first but you get there in the end. Life is so much easier with less and it has a knock on effect in other areas of your life. My day is more structured I am no longer spending as much money or time looking for things. I went on to drastically cut my wardrobe down to a minimilist very basic capsule wardrobe I only have a 2ft rail. Lots of accessories though to change the look. Nobody has notices probably don't care. A good place to start is clothing. Most tackle their knicker drawer! I don't think I will buy the new book I have the first cant see how it will be different
    Let us know how you are doing and good luck

Thank you :)

I was looking at the new book too but guessed it was just similar to the first except it has illustrations, so in the spirit of less clutter i'm just going with the one :rotfl:

I have a question for anyone who can answer - I have a lot of stuff, and from what I can surmise is that you have to gather all your like for like stuff in one place that you are going to sort out. My stuff is all over the place. It's everywhere! I don't know if I could even put my hands on all of my similar items at once. I don't even know half of what i've got that is lurking in the back of cupboards, or in boxes and bags in the bottom of my wardrobe or behind sofas. Clothes would be easier to do, but I was wondering if I could apply some of the techniques to doing places like the cupboard under the stairs? eg, if it brings me no joy, then away it goes. If I were to search for all my like for like items and bring them all to one place at the same time I think i'd get buried under a mountain of clutter, and my house would be even worse than it is now :eek:
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Greent for the lovely new thread and a huge thank you to VfM4meplse for starting the ball rolling last year.

I have met so many great people here and had so many laughs too. In spite of finding KM about a year ago I am only a very short distance along the KM road, but that is OK, illness and low energy as well as RL spending lots of time away from home enjoying exploring our lovely country mean that hours put in have been limited.

The very best thing is that what has been done has stayed done:j, my knicker, sock and bra/cami and jumper drawers still bring me joy each time they are opened. I have a lot of clothes (happy at that) and find that the only way for me to deal with them is to break everything doen into categories i.e. tops, trousers, skirts, dresses, belts, jewelry etc. It is and will be a slow ongoing project, particularly as I have lost a lot of weight:(:(:( and things that I loved don't fit as well. If it has been a joyful staple item I am gradually been trying to resource a better fit and then CS the original.

Another huge bonus is that I have become so selective about what I bring into the house, even beloved books are rare entrants atm as trying to read what I have and pass on.

Sorry for the long post, but might be a few tips there that will help some of the lovely new faces that are joining in. Happy KM New Year everyone:):)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • I have just been sitting here thinking over my kondoing year so far.
    Yes for the newbies I am fully kondoed :D But being a realist you never finish this process and I am always tweeking ;) Clothes being my biggest weekness but I now know whats behind it (thanks to km) I feel in a much better place to carry on and break the habit of just having far too much :o

As I have said before its a roller coaster and once you start its hard to get off. As you get rid of carp it leaves you wide open with no where to hide no barriers left and very exposed.

But now I see things clearly and no longer make excues for people or myself. The rose tinted glasses have finally gone :D

One thing never worry about the past and 'What could have been' its gone and cant be changed. I wasted a lot of my time thinking about this.So dont do it please :D

The train is leaving the station very soon get on it and complete that jouney to the end of the line where ever it takes you and no matter how long it takes.

You will have days of tears not really understanding why. Days of feeling as high as a kite and not knowing why :D

But it all evens out to a much more relaxed understanding of why you are where you are. If that makes any kind of sense ;)

Make 2016 a year where you see more, notice the small things,deal with the big things and never worry about things you cant change :)

Embrace the changes that come you way as they will I promise :D

A very happy joyful New year to you all :)

Now I need to do a bit of cleaning as I hate going into the New year with any kind of carp around me ;)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jackieb wrote: »
    Thank you :)

I was looking at the new book too but guessed it was just similar to the first except it has illustrations, so in the spirit of less clutter i'm just going with the one :rotfl:

I have a question for anyone who can answer - I have a lot of stuff, and from what I can surmise is that you have to gather all your like for like stuff in one place that you are going to sort out. My stuff is all over the place. It's everywhere! I don't know if I could even put my hands on all of my similar items at once. I don't even know half of what i've got that is lurking in the back of cupboards, or in boxes and bags in the bottom of my wardrobe or behind sofas. Clothes would be easier to do, but I was wondering if I could apply some of the techniques to doing places like the cupboard under the stairs? eg, if it brings me no joy, then away it goes. If I were to search for all my like for like items and bring them all to one place at the same time I think i'd get buried under a mountain of clutter, and my house would be even worse than it is now :eek:

Jackie - my personal take on this is that a huge part of having a happy life is the ability to adapt to changes in situation and to personalise regimes/diets/methods to suit oneself. So even though it is against the way our lovely KM shows us I deal with a similar situation just as you suggest. As I establish a home for a category I have pinched the Flylady thing of returning stray objects to their home as you come across them in the wrong place, it is amazing how quickly you will see results, a much used mantra here is "don't put it down, put it away" too. Good luck:)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support