PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Serendipitious
    Options
    Good afternoon.

The only thing really kondoed here is a load of dust and dirt, but at least the housework is sort of up to date, I say 'sort of' because the windows are grinning at me now just to remind me I have not truly finished. Floors all done all through and a large cotton floorcloth has been binned.

It was so lovely yesterday that they cut the large expanse of grass outside and I had grass cuttings come in through the open window. All well and good except my flat is high up in this block so I'd thought it was immune to that sort of thing but apparently not.

No incomings apart from consumables, post sorted at source, heap in hall is shrinking slowly, could do with a couple of Bay sales to complete so that more can go.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Kondo'd rug sticky stuff that stops them walking - it had lost its effectiveness - replaced with effective version! Used a birthday gift card towards the cost , although not sure that's what the gift-giver had in mind :rotfl:

kondo'd large hedge at neighbour's. Well gave it an autumn cut, the hedge is still there :)

recycled some cardboard from a piece of eqt DH needed for work.

Work for a couple of hours tomorrow then lunch with friends :D House looking tidy but I plan on doing some cleaning after my soiree.

Life's not all beer n skittles!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Looks like it's a New Mexico version of Remploy, Scope or Mencap with community facilities: http://www.carcinc.org/

Exactly. The now closed recycle center gave many of their adult clients jobs. It a shame they won't have that anymore.

Everything you would every want to know about me and some you probably didn't want to know 😊

Tattoo's -No
    Piercings-Yes, ears only
    Marriages - 2
    Divorces- 1 (the philandering @&$;#%!!)
    Pregnancies- 7
    Children -6 (2 step children)
    Surgeries - 25 (seriously)
    Been to Jail - No
    Shot a gun - Yes
    Quit a job -Yes
    Flown on a plane -Yes
    Gone over 140 miles per hour in a car - No (125 mph and I was driving :D)
    Hit a deer - Yes
    Gone zip lining - No
    Cried over someone - Yes
    Fell in love.... Yes
    Skipped school...of course
    Watched someone give birth...Yes
    Watched someone die...No
    Been to Canada...No
    Ridden in an ambulance..Yes
    Been to Hawaii... No
    Been to Europe....Yes (sat in an airport)
    Been to Washington D.C...No
    Visited Florida.... Yes
    Visited Mexico... Yes
    Visited Las Vegas.. Yes
    Sang karaoke ...Lordy NO!!
    Laughed so much you cried...Yes
    Caught a snowflake on your tongue.... Yes
    Had a pet(s).... Yes
    Been sledding on big hill...Yes
    Been downhill skiing...Yes
    Rode on a motorcycle...Yes
    Rode a Horse...Yes
    Stayed in hospital...Yes
    Donated blood...Yes
    Driven a stick shift .... Yes
    Rode in the back of a police car..Not yet

Kondoed old laundry room countertop that the workman tore out to the dump. Well he took it in the bed of his pickup, but I waved goodbye.:D
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all.

Been to archery tonight, for the first time since Nan went into hospital at the beginning of September, have been too tired and stressed to feel like going out in the evening, but did so tonight and enjoyed myself.

Matters are moving on at Nan's bungalow. The washer was bought by a local man for his adult daughter whose own washer has just died, so that's a good thing for them and for us. He had the offer of the two old but unspecial wooden wardrobes for free but, when he went to move one, it turned out to be secretly riddled with woodworm. It'll have a hot date with a bonfire in the next few days.

The second wardrobe was canniablised for useful timber for a project and the unwanted bits of the carcase will also be burned.

Aunt has been able to give a two-week notice to their council, so the pressure is on to get everything done this week and next week. I shall go over at the weekend and help.

:( A slightly-uncomfortable thing came to light at the hospital today when Dad was collecting Nan's last belongings; her wedding ring has gone AWOL.

It was on her finger when I visited her but wasn't on her hand when she arrived at the hospital morgue. Dad wasn't 100% sure she was wearing it but I am 100% sure. Have suggested he speak to the ward manager and ask if they remove such things for safekeeping as a matter of policy, and if they have it under lock and key somewhere.

If they haven't, some person in a position of trust has robbed a dying lady or robbed her corpse. It makes me very sad to think anybody would stoop so low. It's a very narrow, very worn wedding ring, probably only worth £30-£40 in scrap, but of sentimental value to the family. I don't think she had it off her hand since her wedding day.:(
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your Nan's ring GQ. Sadly this happens all too often. It's worth remembering that even wedding rings should probably come off when going into hospital - they tell you rings are OK and they can tape them, but TBH it's best not to take them. However your Dad SHOULD make a fuss. If he won't, I'm sure you won't feel any such qualms ;)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    GQ it is most likely to be locked away with any other belongings from your Nan's move away from the ward, there will have been other things in her bedside cupboard to be returned to her N.O.K.

Thinking of you and your family, and recollecting the 4-week period we had to clear mum's 4-bed +garage home in 2005...the Ashes was still on normal TV and one of us four siblings had to be near the TV to alert the others in the event that anything happened :o
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I'll be leaving it in Dad's hands, greenbee. We've been very satisfied with how well Nan has been cared-for in the hospital, and she spoke of how good they were, before she got too weak and poorly to speak, as was the case in the last week or so.

It would leave a sour taste if the ring has gone missing but we're not going to summon the police and create a big stink, it isn't worth the upset to us. It's just the abuse of trust, if it has been stolen, which sickens me.

Hopefully, it may well have been taken into safekeeping and will turn up. But yes, I agree it is better not to have any jewellery on you in hospital, if possible, but Nan was taken in as an emergency, the ring couldn't be removed without being cut off, and it's sort of the last thing on your mind.

Dad was so abstracted he couldn't even be 100% sure she was wearing it, and he'd been sitting by her bedside holding her hand on visits. I told him it was most definately on her hand when brother and I visited her, because I remember noticing it.

We'll see what happens and just roll with it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    GQ, when it was my mother, I had the rings given to me separately in a packet and I had to sign for them.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ, I really hope her ring turns up - as you say, the sentimental value is huge.

Mila - brilliant list. I think a few of us will be filling that out :)

The only kondoing this week has been a couple of kitchen bits, but also *loads* of dust and dirt (and yes, my windows are grinning at me, in Serendipitous's term :) ) and more loads of brambles. I'm desperate to pull up the ones that have rooted while I haven't been paying attention ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Tea_Lady
    Tea_Lady Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone
    Sorry to hear about the ring, GQ. Hope it’s a mis-understanding and is on the ward locked away.
    Well done to all the Kondoing going on. Move that stuff out of here.
    Well I visited the homestead over the weekend. I concluded that I have a very nice house. I’d forgotten how big, light and airy it really is. ( that could be because I haven't been in it for 5 years. Or the fact that there is very little in it.)
    The tenants have looked after it quite well. The rooms are looking a little bit tired, shabby and faded. All the rooms will need painting, the hall and stairs needs wall papering as moving out of furniture has scratched the paper in places. They weren't gardeners. Oh boy what a mess.
    We won't be moving back until Christmas so have some time to address the problems.
    Here at the rental re-sorted Cd's dvd's LP's and books. Once I had 2-3 boxes of each now a small box of each. Will take them up home when I visit at the weekend.
    Today is re-sorting the bedding and towels then off to work.
    Tealady
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport