PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :spam: reported
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    :spam: reported

I did as well!
    Must use my stash up!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Well done, ladies, the efficient forum people have vanished it already.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    6 fleabay parcels posted today :D Money transferred from paypalll to CC.

OH's bday tomorrow. Presents he is getting which I am aware about are clothes (2 tops, requested/ needed to replace others & socks - needed), cufflinks (not needed by joyful), edibles, 2 CDs (he will like), a voucher for an experience and a voucher for a shop where he wants to buy something specific :) Not a bad result :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Kondoed the writing on the wall. Well the workman did anyway.
    I had a short space in the small hall where I recorded kids heights and let them put their hand prints. That turned into them letting their friends trace their handprints. It has been a much loved tradition and everyone looks at it when they come home. My youngest will be 30 in a few weeks. Very grimy. It's time for it to go.
    The new wall color is bring me much joy. :j:j:j
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mila - suggest you photograph the wall before it goes! It's part of your family history.
    I put an item on FB yesterday to sell & it's gone! Not a great deal of money but it's out the door. A friend of DH has just asked for his motorcycle panniers so that a bit more gone. Think I'll probably post a few more odds & sods but if they don't go within the month I'll CS them. Slowly slowly :)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Speky - this has come up lots of times with lots of others here, so they will give you the benefit of their experience. However, think about:

1. Whether you have time to sell these random bits and bobs
    2. Whether they actually have enough value to compensate you for your time (search on ebay/gumtree/FB selling groups to see what they go for)
    3. How it makes you feel having them hanging about - you may find that when they go the negative feelings go with them.

You're debt free now, so although these items got you into debt, you got out of it without selling them. Maybe it's better to move on? And perhaps if you donated/freegled them you would help someone else avoid getting into debt.

It may also depend on the item concerned, but whatever you do, don't let the piles of 'stuff' that you're trying to let go hang around and continue to block your energy.
    I'd try selling them Speky, provided they are 'easy' sellers.

The giving thing I see as ''something (anything) for the benefit of another that is done freely and without resentment or regret.''

In this way, we can see that we all freely give all day long, whether it's a smile or holding a door open or sympathising, or popping loose change into a charity pot, or taking bagsful of unwanted items to a donation point, or even just letting somebody else go first in a long queue.

In short, anything you do without regretting it, or calculating the cost of it, is giving. And that makes you feel good simply because it doesn't feel bad, if you see what I mean.

So you don't have to give away good stuff to feel good.

Having said that, it's easy to get stuck with selling. Almost as if once you've decided to sell something, then it can only go if it's sold.

So I'd say sell till you start to get impatient or fed up with the unsold remnants, then ditch those if it makes you feel better.

You both make very good points. I hate seeing the clutter of things so I think get rid of it sooner rather than later would be of benefit. Thanks very much, you've both helped put it into perspective.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just posted 4 safety gates up for sale in FB, hopefully they will sell promptly. We have one left on DS's bedroom door so why on earth did we think as first time parents with DD we would need 5??!!!? Although thinking about now that I'm posting that we had one on the door between dining room & living room, one on her bedroom door and the one each at the top & bottom of the stairs. Thank goodness we're past that stage with DS now!

We tried to kondo my Christmas present to DH from last year, a Go Ape experience but I managed to book the wrong location so the gift are balance has gone into an account and we will re-book in the spring. It was cold, wet and drizzly today so perhaps not such a bad thing!!
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I spent most of yesterday signing up for e*bay and taking photos then ages trying to get my photos and the descriptions on eb*y but then couldn't be bothered. Then on faceb*ok tonight a friend wants stuff to sell for charities in the local area. Sorted -took the easy way out. The charities get the money and I have another clear out and I don't have to queue in the post office. :D
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    vi's mum
    i would sell the lego on eBay

Turns out two things are in sealed boxes, DS doesn't want them and they are fairly rare and should get at least £50 - which obviously I will give to DS and it might inspire him to get rid of more :T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport