PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have done my back in carrying my youngest dd from our bed to her own last night :( It's a good thing my parents are coming for a fortnight on Friday, to help while dh is away. I have just informed them that I count on them helping me out with several kondo projects :).

Not enjoying work at the moment; I don't mind 'busy', 'continuous', or 'a lot', I do mind 'relentless'. My colleague and I have the feeling work is giving us ADHD! And since we are bottom of the pile, there is noone we can delegate the work to.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Decided to make a start on preparing the office for winter (i.e. using it again as I can keep the temperature in there higher than the rest of the house). The CoD I keep fabric in has died - it's an elderly IKEA one and I can't get the joint at the bottom tight so the drawers no longer run smoothly. So I've sorted the fabric into other locations (3 pairs of spare curtains that may end up being used here/at my brother's when we both get near finishing our houses into the 'outdoor' CoD with gloves and walking socks/fleeces; fabric into the bottom drawer of the bureau). I just need to find homes for the gibble from the top drawer and then I can evict it. I've offered it to my brother, but if he doesn't want it, I'll take it to the tip as the CS will probably reject it as not being perfect...
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    vi's mum
    i would sell the lego on eBay

I would, but the kids won't let it go. And it's theirs... :(
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • greenbee
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I would, but the kids won't let it go. And it's theirs... :(

Put it in their bedrooms then :D
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Put it in their bedrooms then :D

Not a bad shout (as my DS says). He has a huge, mostly empty wardrobe in his room - living in there would be better than the loft.

The other thing cluttering up my lounge is a huuuuge basket of brio railway. DS doesn't want it to go, and it (literally) can't go anywhere else. I say clutter, but it is all in the basket and the basket is just part of the lounge furniture. But if i had somewhere else to put it, I would.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    can you sell it and give ds the money (dangle a carrot lol)
  • greenbee
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Not a bad shout (as my DS says). He has a huge, mostly empty wardrobe in his room - living in there would be better than the loft.

The other thing cluttering up my lounge is a huuuuge basket of brio railway. DS doesn't want it to go, and it (literally) can't go anywhere else. I say clutter, but it is all in the basket and the basket is just part of the lounge furniture. But if i had somewhere else to put it, I would.

In his bedroom as well. That huge, mostly empty wardrobe for example... :cool:

Be ruthless!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all.

Re selling stuff, it doesn't have to be an either/ or. Some things may be well worth selling, others not really worth it.

Perhaps as an exercise, you could try working out the likely money achieved vs the time and effort to get that money. Some things might work out at a profit of 50p an hour for your efforts and that's not a very good recompense for your irreplacable life, is it?

Dad and Aunt have registered Nan's death today and meet with the funeral director tomorrow. Dad hasn't been able to get to speak to the ward manager about the ring, because he isn't in today, but he will try and speak with him tomorrow. Hopefully it's just misplaced somewhere and will come to light. If it doesn't, well, worse things happen at sea.

I'll be a bit thin on the ground these next few days, helping my parents with Nan's bungalow. We also have to manage the domestic indigestion caused by bringing some of Nan's things into their home.

They've switched out Nan's newer reclining armchair for the knackered one of their own. One of their cats, The Queen of Sheba, is in a huff because it doesn't recline as far as the other one, thus limiting the distance she can sprawl across a lap. She's decidedly peeved, in the way that only a mongrel oriental cat with a mahoosive ego can be peeved.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    SpekySquarehead if you read back through any of this thread,you'll find people reporting 'lightbulb' moments when they realised that they were never actually going to get round to the boot sale/eBay listing/Gumtree and decided to give the stuff to charity instead.

If it's saleable AND you can actually sell it, then yes you could earn something back - go for it. If however it's going to clutter up the spare room/shed/hall because it's the wrong time of year for selling it/it's difficult to post/you can't get round to it, then it's not going to help your mood (or earn anything). 'Sunk cost' is something we all struggle with - owning this stuff has taught you something, so thank it and let it go.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :)PWD's right. We've all had to swallow the bitter pill of sunk costs at one point or other. Some things you get to write off to experience. In reality, most of the 'value' (read price) of an item evaporated the second you took it out of the store. It's that brutal.

And say you do think about selling, you'll be having versions of this internal convo: I should put that on the car boot pile, and this and this. Wrong time of the year for boot saling, so will have to wait until spring, probably Easter or Bank Holidays in May. Do I really want to spend half a spring day trying to flog my carp? After having had it hanging around for 6 months, minimum? And what about selling on fleabay, better keep every box, juffy bag, stryo-peanut and what-have-you in case I need it for packaging. Try not to think about the time spent queueing at the post office or getting gouged for a % by the sites.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills