PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Afternoon all.

Today has passed swiftly and smoothly - working stops one dwelling on things.

Have now had a chat with the folks. Dad has an 8.30 am appointment at the hospital tomorrow to collect the death certificate, then a Weds appointment with the registrar, he and his sister will both go. On Weds, they also meet with the funeral director and will be able to give him the relevent copy of the death certificate.

Aunt has been busy and two of the three bulky appliances will are now sold (washer and fridge-freezer) just leaving the cooker of the kitchen stuff to go. Two wardrobes are also going, some small pieces of furniture going into other family homes. There will be some orphaned armchairs of the old, uncomfortable and non-safety certificated kind, and two divan beds and two mattresses, ditto.

After discussion of the many charities Nan supported, we deem that the Salvation Army was her preferred one, so as much stuff as possible will go to them. Mum and Dad will be at the bungalow tomorrow, packing up crockery etc, and waiting in for the hospital to come and collect their loaned equipment etc.

I've arranged to get a lift to the hometown after work on Friday and will be helping out on Sat and Sunday before coming back to my city on Sunday evening.

It's suddenly gone from overwhelming to do-able. Dad will be calling Cousin this evening (she works outside the home) and seeing if they can take the shed down this weekend or next, as the bungalow may be able to go back to the landlord with only two weeks' notice.

Lots to do, but lots of pairs of hands to do it. We'll get there in the end.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Gelda
    Gelda Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "In the meantime I need to think about how to cover the screws from the drawer handles that snag clothes. My grandmother used to use elastoplast, but I'm sure there is a better solution... "

Cut a cork in half (shortways) and twist on to the back of screws.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gelda wrote: »
    "In the meantime I need to think about how to cover the screws from the drawer handles that snag clothes. My grandmother used to use elastoplast, but I'm sure there is a better solution... "

Cut a cork in half (shortways) and twist on to the back of screws.

Thanks Gelda :)

Sadly I have no corks, so clearly I'm going to have to open a bottle or two :cool:
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey thanks Gelda, great idea about the cork. A client was asking me what to do about the bolts ,in her COD so now I can solve the problem. :beer:

CS bag dropped off during my lunch break.

The big bugbear is still the pile of videos. DH has moved them to behind the door.......... I have suggested that we ditch them but let him keep the ones of his fav football team because that would be a majot sticking point (but not the video player!!). We have not come to an agreement yet... :(

Paint - we have pale yellow walls and pale grey skirting in the LR. The curtains we most often have up are pale moss green with a tiny gold fleck. It's a north facing room but it always seems light and airy :)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • allybee101
    Options
    Catching up on everything again. My condolences to GQ and family.
    What a wonderful family you have, all coming together to support each other through this challenging period when emotions and practicalities and bureacracy deadlines are all needing attention.

Kondoing is on back burner here, decorating bedroom (in grey paint! Much time spent deliberating over test patches to find warm grey and will have some bright colours to avoid jail like conditions!) so flat is in uproar. Slow progress but getting there. I intend to be very mindful of what makes it back in there once finished. Walls to finish and woodwork to do. Semi clam should be restored by next weekend.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :o Like all families we have our strengths and weaknesses, but we're a long way from the Waltons.

Cousin hasn't spoken to her own mother (Aunt) for over 25 years and no one knows why. Nan's brother hasn't spoken to his siblings for nearly 50 years (row over a will) and there are various other inlaws and outlaws. A good resentment is like an heirloom, it can be treasured for years. Except Nan didn't do things like that, and I CBA, mostly.

One rellie nearly got a smack a few years ago at a great uncle's graveside, as the very coffin was being lowered into the grave, by piping up BUT HE WANTED TO BE CREMATED.

Tell ya, they darned nearly got shoved in with him. If you come from a family where no one has been cremated ever, as far as we know, you get to put that in a Will or tell everybody, not just one distant rellie who hadn't said aught about it until that moment.

There are bound to be some squabbles and upsets over the whole procedure, just bound to be. Seeing as I am a kondo-ite and a minimalist in the making, they won't be about material things from my pov.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    i can't remember who asked where to get the cheapest flu jab , i think its asda - £5
    (i'll post this on the other thread i follow as well just in case)
  • twiglet98
    Options
    GQ I'd like to add my condolences on your beloved Nan's passing.

You, and she, have been so very lucky to have such affection and happy memories. She won't stray far from your thoughts.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karmacat, I have one teapot which only gets used when I have guests - it's Emma Bridgewater and very joyful to me, but I just use teabags in a mug for myself and the occasional visitor. If you love both, then keep them but it's sounding as if you love the yellow one more than the Denby one.
    greenbee wrote: »
    I have four teapots, only used when I have guests, but I love ALL of them. So I'm keeping them.

However, if you only have room for one, keep the yellow one - as PWD says, it really does sound like you love that one most.
    Thank you, Polly and Greenbee - you know what, it's true. The yellow one is the one I like the best, it's cheerful and classic both. The Denby was bought almost as a "growing up" present, when I was about 35 :rotfl: - you know, grown up people have people round and have afternoon tea and need "a set for best".

I'm keeping both :j thankyou!
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    It's suddenly gone from overwhelming to do-able. Dad will be calling Cousin this evening (she works outside the home) and seeing if they can take the shed down this weekend or next, as the bungalow may be able to go back to the landlord with only two weeks' notice.

Lots to do, but lots of pairs of hands to do it. We'll get there in the end.
    Like allybee, I'm struck by the way your family is dealing with things together, GQ, in spite of the feuds and whatnot that you list in your next post :p It's very positive.

whiteguineapig - I've been checking out costs for the flu jab, so it may well be something I've written, thank you in any case from me :)
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Grey Queen that is a lovely epitaph for your Nan. I am sorry for your loss but I know you are glad you were able to tell her how much you loved her while you still could

Just what I wanted to say :) Thank you maryb.

GQ it's wonderful that your DNan was so well-loved. Evidently a very, very special lady. Thoughts are with you and your family, as well as her friends. (((HUGS)))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure