PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2016 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Have a lovely afternoon celebrating MM, it's all about the occasional and having the chance to get together so forget what you could or should be doing instead and enjoy the time together.

Three big bags full of stuff ready for CS along with aquarium, stand and assorted accessories.
    Holiday cases, wool and fabric I agreed to foster for dd2 is boxed up and pile of stuff ready to go up into attic.
    A few bits got added to the skip and two bags of paper and card recycling added to the pile outside.

Ds2 is getting dropped off at opticians for eye test by Dh on way back to work so I've got an hour to myself, think I'll go through big box of old schoolbooks of ds2 I unearthed and see if any need recycling.

Then need to out a birthday card for dd3s fiance, I might even grab a cuppa.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well i have become the proud owner of a large box of part used toiletries :rotfl:
    This is my own doing as I have been nagging my mum to KM for months. She sounds like she is on par with GQ's mum but her house is on a larger scale. She has been making a start on some clothing and kitchen cupboards but it is an uphill slog as many of you have already experienced for example she has 11 (no not a typo) colanders and sieves so Justin, Andy and all their friends could have one and still some to spare but baby steps lol.
    So will work my way through the box of stuff and when that's gone she will provide me with more and so on til we get to a sensible level.
    Well done to all of you with your weekend efforts sounds like real progress being made xx
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Shanks no danger of ever not being able to strain anything at your parental homestead LOL.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    Glorious here now. Hope you can all enjoy some sunshine amidst the kondoing!

Kondoed an inch or two off my hair courtesy of DD and free of charge so some £££ saved there. Also dug about in drawer to get an old top to wear while she did it, but when I put it on I immediately wondered why on earth I'd kept it, so that got thanked and put in the charity bag and I had my hair cut in an old vest instead...

Nipped to charity shops, toured four and bought not a single thing, which is a victory.

Mrs MP that is an awesome kondo! Must be most satisfying to see it go!
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tidied out a kitchen cupboard this morning using the wire inset shelves and then sorted out the bathroom cupboard downstairs as well.

I plan to scrub out the large wardrobe in the garage ready to store toiletries and cleaning materials but will take my time as it is a really hot day.

I still have a large skip outside which I can't wait to have collected and got rid of. The skip is full of building materials from renovating the house - not hoarding ;)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    elona wrote: »

I still have a large skip outside which I can't wait to have collected and got rid of. The skip is full of building materials from renovating the house - not hoarding ;)

Mines a mix of both, I think I'll miss it as I keep seeing what else I can squeeze into it before it goes.:rotfl:
    SPC~12 ot 124

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Afternoon all.

Phew, wot a scorcher, I ran some errands around the city centre after work and it's blazing hot, I'm quite glad to be indoors. Was going to the lottie but it's far too hot and I'm a bit overtired and wobbly from yesterday's activities so may just ground myself.

choose wisely, a wise woman one described retirement as twice as much husband on half as much money. It's a difficult transition but bear with it.

Will be having a little tidy up and pootle around at the homestead, I have the habit a lot of people seem to share, in that I want my place tidy when I go away for a few days. Nutty, isn't it? Like in a muddle and tidy for one you're not at home, hmm.

Itching to get over to the parental home on Friday evening and start to put my beak into various piles.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 August 2016 at 6:17PM
    Options
    GQ - I'm another one who likes to have everywhere clean and tidy before I go away anywhere ;) Chill out this evening GQ as this weather can really sap you.
    Ive been really busy today - managed to Kondo a top and a salad dressing bottle - it has various proportions on the side for different dressings - used once so in the CS bag. I've thoroughly cleaned my car inside - will do the outside tomorrow & take photos to advertise it. Our old cleaner was struggling so I think it's on its last legs but we have a Henry in the shed so he's been brought into service. I've also found he copes very well with the dead leaves that pile up by the kitchen door. Much quicker and easier than sweeping when it's dry. I've mended DH's jeans and a pair of trousers of mine has that I bought in a CS have been cropped! All the ripe tomatoes have been picked and the small ones are in the freezer for casseroles etc. The windfall apples have all been picked up and in the green bin as most of them were rotten. Have also picked a bucketful of good ones for my neighbour. Phew now I've written it all down Ive not done too badly lol. DH wants bolognese for tea so that's easy as its out of the freezer.
    Have a good evening all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got a present when my OH and I retired of a cushion which said Retirement twice as much husband and half as much money. 12 years on and it still makes me laugh when I see it. :D
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Busy day at work ,so missed the sunshine, just caught up on everyone's kondoing.
    Pollywollydoodle I sort of recognise my dear departed mum in your post she was born in late twenties and married at 18 and brought up 7 children with not much ,remember home hair cuts with wonky fringes. And dresses with wonky hems that were then passed down. Such a shame that when she got to a time with a bit of money of her own she had ill health, but loved to buy bits and bobs for the grand children. I always knew I never wanted a big house that needed loads of cleaning and repair.

Yesterday at work I was telling a friend about kondo and she text me last night asking me what to Google to find out about it. By lunch time today she text me at work to say she had cleared her bathroom and 2 kids rooms!, another konvert in the making me thinks.

Tomorrow I go for injection in my neuroma in my foot which I then have to rest for 5 days. So I'm looking to you all to keep me entertained with your exploits in kondoing.:T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure