PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all, have been keeping up with everyone good work being done all round.

Not much left to kondo here at the mo, but did clean the bedroom walls down on Monday and needed to take down the long necklaces I have on hooks on the wall. So I went through them and got rid of around half. My Dgs was here and spotted them and decided to take 2 of them for his mum :D:o

I spotted an article in one of the Sunday supplements which sounded as if it was taken from MK s book, though it wasn't mentioned.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Kept just a few assignment notes and SE invoices and shredded the payslips as there just isn't room here to keep them all. Will have to hope that's enough although it is very unlikely that I will be able to go back to what I was doing before, there is always the possibility of a breakthrough in modern medicine and a cure may yet be found so never say never.

More shredding done - nearly finished now. Have decided to send all unread books back to their owners as the odds of me actually reading them is low. Not enough brain power to do the essential reading, let alone fun reading and I can always borrow them from the library if that changes.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since I'm retiring in just over two weeks, I've worked hard at getting my client files into one box: its an underbed storage box, which actually fits very neatly under the pedestal of my desk :) The last bit was done today - every single file goes into that one box, I got rid of things like ackowledgement slips, envelopes, even blank pieces of paper! There's an obligation to keep files, though some files consisting of a note on a single meeting in the early 1990s have been shredded :) I didn't think I'd manage to get it done before I retire, its a big weight off me :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done Karmacat! Feels good, eh?

The 2 weeks will fly by. :D

When I was finishing my job I still had things I wanted to complete even though I had worked all my hours, so I went in for a whole morning and worked for free, just to get it all boxed off. And, although some folk would find it hard to believe, I was a Public servant in local government! It's just a case of wanting to do a good job and not leaving anything unfinished, isn't it.

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Matody - welcome x

KC - 2 weeks left - yeay!!! Well done on sorting the files :)

MMF - I would've done the same - I couldn't pass things on without it being all sorted/ finished off first. :)

Random kondo-ing done here today. Items which have left include:
    - a laptop in pieces (hard drive removed after lap top failed and it required the laptop to be taken apart way more than I've ever seen before) No inclination to attempt to put it all back together in order to give it away as non working for spares - recycled
    - about 20 stockings which have holes/ ladders in
    - 2 mirrors in their packaging (accidentally broken by DS1)
    - several boxes from toys belonging to DS3 (not sure how DS1 persuaded him to get rid of them when he was helping to tidy DS3's room, but they've gone into the recycling box for tomorrow! :D)
    - 3 blank anniversary cards to CS (I was given them for free and they're not my style and the CS sell cards at about 30p each, so they can have them) I can probably find other cards which I'm not keen on in my stash
    - a paint stained fleece with holes in of OH's
    - school shoes from DS1/ DS2/ DS3 - recycled
    - 2 pairs of work shoes of OH's (I introduced him to Jones the Bootmaker and all of his cheaper ones have now been replaced with sale purchases from there) - recycled
    - several bottles from toiletries and cleaning stuff emptied into other open and half full bottles of the same items :o
    - 3 unwanted items of clothing of OH's
    - a blouse which I was given and just isn't 'me'

Lots of cleaning/ tidying/ general sorting has taken place, too - you can see the difference :j

I acquired a brand new (still with price tag on and in a box) of Clarks flip flop shoes (£20 in the sale) from my mum as she already had a very similar pair. As my flipflops broke on holiday and went in the bin and these are padded and comfy they bring me much joy! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Since I'm retiring in just over two weeks, I've worked hard at getting my client files into one box: its an underbed storage box, which actually fits very neatly under the pedestal of my desk :) The last bit was done today - every single file goes into that one box, I got rid of things like ackowledgement slips, envelopes, even blank pieces of paper! There's an obligation to keep files, though some files consisting of a note on a single meeting in the early 1990s have been shredded :) I didn't think I'd manage to get it done before I retire, its a big weight off me :)

Excellent! You sound as though this is going to be a smooth transition. You are so very on top of things,
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Good morning all.

It's so inspiring to come on here for my daily dose of kondo-updates and read what you've all been up to.

Yesterday, I came in from work, ran a washload, had an early supper and a visit from a pal, then hit the road and went to my allotment and spend an hour pottering and picking. Did a dump run on the way home and only came away with a tap washer which I found on the road. I did run out of these on the allotment the other day so have wombled a few off the highway since to re-stock the washer jar in the allotment shed.

I'm a beggar for allowing my teeny-tiny kitchen to get cluttery, so am trying to train myself into better habits, such as having all the washing up done and put away in the evening amd the counters and the sink cleaned. It makes such a difference in the mornings when you're not confronted with grubble (I coined that word this second, it's grubby-rubble, a form of clutter which others may recognise ;)).

Have also made a sweep on the contents of the fridge and must maintain better control in there; when you're mainly living on fresh veggies, you need to be careful not to overbuy, especially as the allotment is now producing in quantity. Gosh, but do I envy people who have gardens outside their very houses, mine is over a mile away.:rotfl:

Going to work today but may take a donation bag to the chazzer afterwards, as it's filled up nicely. If it's raining then as it is now, I will defer, but it'd be good to get rid and then start a fresh one.

Have a great day, lovely peeps. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like the word Grubble - I still have a few areas that match that description! Weather report looks OK for today so need to get in the garden. Donated 2 bags of apples and some cucumbers to neighbours yesterday. Need to fill a bag for another neighbour - think I'm the only one now with an apple tree :( Still I do get satisfaction from knowing they will be used to stock other freezers!! Going to get DH to help me empty my potato buckets & see if I've been successful this year. The used compost will be spread on the garden to help break up the clay. I've been Kondoing on a small scale - some bits of jewellery to a friend and a pair of summer trousers to another one but I still have lots more to do
    Have a good day all. x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm so behind on my Kondoing as have been busy with work, summer holidays and birthday fun - however next week I have a day and a half alone in the house to sort things out - I can't wait to get back into it!

The decision though is - which room to start on?!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Well done Karmacat! Feels good, eh?

The 2 weeks will fly by. :D

When I was finishing my job I still had things I wanted to complete even though I had worked all my hours, so I went in for a whole morning and worked for free, just to get it all boxed off. And, although some folk would find it hard to believe, I was a Public servant in local government! It's just a case of wanting to do a good job and not leaving anything unfinished, isn't it.
    greent wrote: »
    Matody - welcome x

KC - 2 weeks left - yeay!!! Well done on sorting the files :)

I acquired a brand new (still with price tag on and in a box) of Clarks flip flop shoes (£20 in the sale) from my mum as she already had a very similar pair. As my flipflops broke on holiday and went in the bin and these are padded and comfy they bring me much joy! :D
    Excellent! You sound as though this is going to be a smooth transition. You are so very on top of things,

Thank you all! I nearly overdid it this week and made myself ill, but I staved it off, and I'm good again now :)

MMF - absolutely, it just feels right to do, doesn't it - its not exactly the same thing, but I've done a *lot* of extra work helping clients with the transition.

Greent - I remember your flipflops breaking :D great that you have new ones.

I've been using a double extension on my vacuum cleaner to kondo unwanted intruders from the top of my stairwell :o
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family