PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• ScotinLondon
    Options
    Have been AWOL again, think there is a recurrent theme in my life and KMing....

I hope that all are well, happy and content and conquering their own little bit of the world in KM style.

Not much KMing going on. Lots of accounting books on various websites for sale.

Going through paperwork bit by bit, at a snails pace as I am back to studying again (well trying to - all depending on DH's health and his mood).

Have been reading the thread on and off, when I have been at home or work.

I know that it is a bit late - but well done Mavvy on the sale and getting rid of a van load of stuff. The amount that was sold and raised is amazing. I hope that the cats and kittens are well.

Siebrie – sorry to hear about your rabbit.

Still trying to get DH to remember to bring his bag of clothes from in-laws to ours, so that we can donate it to a very good local hospice charity and then at the same time, I can get rid of some of my indian outfits there too.

We are however bringing a lot less stuff into the house.

Need to ironing this evening, if i can get my head into gear.

Have a long weekend off this week - so hopefully (depending on the heat, as i don't function well in the heat), will be able to sort some things out in the garden whilst all bedding getting washed and dried.

SIL x
  • Matody
    Matody Posts: 87 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2016 at 6:26AM
    Options
    Morning all, thought I'd come join in.. I'm on konmarie my house as me and my ex broke up (last year) and he still lives here, we have a car and that goes in under 5 weeks when he moves out (finally)... so I started last month as I can use the car to take stuff to the CS / skip, I'm doing it fast for this purpose. I do intend to redo it again once he's gone, as some things I'll probably get rid of that I've kept, but needed it done fast... so far done my clothes, books, paperwork and I'm just finishing up on komono stuff, did misc crafts yesterday.. I also jumped forward and did kids stuff, or I helped them do it... I need to do wool / crochet stuff today and then I'm finished komono stuff, and I get to move onto kitchen...

I must say it gets easier, although I have now being left with very few clothes, but I love them all and all get worn... but to be honest, I've lost weight so most of my stuff was too big, and some of the jeans I kept are starting to fall off me, so do need to go to the CS to buy some better fitting ones.

The only thing I'm not doing is being wasteful, so I'm using up products (beauty stuff) - I've joined one of the threads in the health & beauty sections to help me and I also won't be throwing food, I'll food plan to use it, I have little money and I can't stand food waste!

My house is in chaos, so I'm trying to do the flylady as well, roll on 5 weeks :)

Anyway, it will be nice to get to know everyone xx
    Grocery Challenge - Aug 407.97/£320 - NSD 3/5
    September 195.19 / 300

Konmarie my house along side being a flylady!
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Matody
    You are doing so well. Have you got a countdown calendar?? I lived a separation life once and swore never again. Such a strain. You'll feel taller in a few weeks, in your clutter free house. Good for you!
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all and hello to the new posters, great to see you here.

I wasn't online for 36 hours at home but I was kondo-ing, honest. I was reading a thriller which I started yesterday morning before work and continued after work and which I put into the donation bag at 11 pm last night just after I finished it.

I'll be squaring up the flat ahead of the family visiting on Sunday. Not that they're critical but I like to be seen to walk the talk. Besides, place is tiny and we need to make space for them to sit down.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Back from my hols - it was fab!:D

my house is a tip :( DD didn't come on the hol and so was here alone for a week (she has gone elsewhere now to earn the money to pay off her overdraft). She didn't leave the bins or anything but did still manage to leave a load of mess behind her.

We each had a cabin sized suitcase and a rucksack so there isn't too much holiday detritus going on. Our total hold luggage weighed 30kg between 3 of us :T. I did have one load of laundry service washed (cost me a tenner, worth every penny) but still bought things back unworn. We were in the south africa, where it is winter. Some places were British summer warm (22 - 25degrees) but others, in the mountains, were cooler. We even found snow at one point :eek: (I had SEVEN layers on... :rotfl::snow_laug)

Goodness, but we've seen some poor people - many who still have to pump water from a communal pump and who live in the tiniest places (think mud huts with thatched roofs). But still everywhere there are adverts for this, that and the other 'must have'. No wonder there is crime (for the record, crime is very isolated and everyone we met was just lovely).

Back home where the builder has started to kondo our garden wall. It was listing at about 70 degrees from horizontal and was three bricks thick and 2.5 m high. If it had gone over it would have killed anyone standing underneath.:eek: We had a battle to prove it wasn't listed (listing but not listed...) as it's 150 years old. Anyway it's now safe :T The builder is making good at a particular point with a column and is repointing the remainder (most of the wall is staying, just the dangerous bit gone). It is costing us £5000 :eek: But would have been 12 to 15 k to have it rebuilt.

DD is back to uni in a month so i will mostly put up with her stuff in the conservatory and her bedroom and just ensure everything else is tidy.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Matody
    Matody Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Matody
    You are doing so well. Have you got a countdown calendar?? I lived a separation life once and swore never again. Such a strain. You'll feel taller in a few weeks, in your clutter free house. Good for you!

I've being counting down since last year, the first five-six months flew but since he finished uni for the year it has dragged and it really is getting harder... I'm so looking forward to just being me and the kids, 12 years of basically putting myself last and being like a zombie is enough for anyone, glad his junk is going too... he used to keep broken stuff (microwaves, printers etc) as he's doing engineering and they were going to be his "projects"... I took them to the skip
    Grocery Challenge - Aug 407.97/£320 - NSD 3/5
    September 195.19 / 300

Konmarie my house along side being a flylady!
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Er, I have to stick my head above the parapet to( whispers) say that I bought faux baskets from Lakel4nd for a large cupboard, after releasing stuff. I now have 2 lovely, organised shelves, with each type of product in its own basket. I can easily lift any basket out to retrieve required item. It made a vast improvement on the storage and my sanity! :rotfl:

other areas I have indeed used shoe boxes or other receptacles that were to hand and they work well in their own locations, just to corall things together.

Shall I slink away, hanging my head in shame..........?

M

I am steadily replacing 'make-dos' with 'exactly the right thing' as they occur so I'm happy to join the Slinky Group if needed :-)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Morning all and hello to the new posters, great to see you here.

I wasn't online for 36 hours at home but I was kondo-ing, honest. I was reading a thriller which I started yesterday morning before work and continued after work and which I put into the donation bag at 11 pm last night just after I finished it.

I'll be squaring up the flat ahead of the family visiting on Sunday. Not that they're critical but I like to be seen to walk the talk. Besides, place is tiny and we need to make space for them to sit down.:rotfl:

Isn't it lovely how enjoyable kondo-ing can be :D

I rarely buy books now, and use the library a lot instead, but I miss the satisfaction of throwing a completed book into the donation bag.

Did my tin and packet food cupboard yesterday - only had to throw out one packet of bread sauce mix, so that's good, and have sorted which tins need to be used first, so feeling virtuous about that.

Matody, I want to wish you good luck. I only had to put up with the same situation for 6 weeks and that was quite long enough. :)
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• GreenBitterfly
    Options
    I posted a while ago about Kondoing wageslips, I've decided to keep them, after the advice on here, and after overhearing someone (in a restaurant) who is emigrating, and them complaining about needing a lot of evidence regarding working over a long period of time. They're still in the shoebox, but I'll be buying some A4 plastic folders to put them into, when I next go to Rymans.

I sorted out one of my wardrobe cupboards, and just re-jigged some of my folders, getting rid of paperwork relating to old direct debits, information given when opening savings accounts (but keeping the statements). I also removed my old passports, and Bank/Building Society passbooks from their previous home of a shoebox to a couple of A5 folders, which take up a lot less space, and the shoebox went into the recycling bin.

I also packed up some charity shop donations into plastic bags, they were just stacked in piles on my bedroom floor previously, really tidy and safe (!)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GB - I just check my P60's and if they are all correct I bin that years payslips as the P60 gives the name of the employer and you must have been employed to get a P60!!
    I've just bought some mini muffins and some brownies for a party. They came in lovely lidded plastic containers which will be used to replace and reorganise my baking cupboard ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure