PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spent most of the weekend enjoying the spring like weather and getting to grips with the garden which has been sadly overlooked too may times this autumn/winter. Filled large wheelie ready for compost recycle collection and collected together some stuff ready for central recycling center - will go next weekend now. OH has sawed up some old pallets that new kitchen and wood pellet delivery came on and also some old garden chairs............I had kept these for years with the intention of replacing the canvas but in the end bought some new ones:o I think the new ones cost £10 each in an end of season sale but I remember buying the original ones when they first became popular ( director's chair style) and they must have cost us about £30 - £40 each which is why I was hanging onto them I think.:rotfl: The new ones I bought last year are just as good quality. Anyway old canvasless ones all chopped up now for kindling.........I almost stopped OH when I saw him drag them out of woodshed..thankfully saw the error of my ways!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Going away for a few days tomorrow (Gran Canaria :j) and we only have carry on luggage, but have plenty of space in my case - although i haven't taken much less for 5 days than i usually do for 2 weeks.

As it will be march when i get back (love March, even if it's cold, i feel like Winter is over :T), I thought i'd organise my project 333 for the next 3 months. I think the official start for the next quarter is April, but i prefer to do March / April / May as Spring and then June / July / August as summer and so on. also, as i have now given up the job (:T:j:beer:) my clothing requirements have changed slightly. Anything "worky" has been put away (though should i need something it is all being kept - for now..) and more casual stuff is out. In fact my tally is about 30 (although i don't include shoes, scarves and so on). and a couple more things have hit the donation bag - a lovely cardi that i washed too hot and has shrunk, i have realised it is taunting me for my mistake (note to self, it is ok to make a mistake) and all the stretching in the world will not make it bigger enough, and a rather scruffy grey cardi - that only cost about a tenner about 10 years ago. I don't think grey is really my colour. Ooh and a lurid green "lounge wear" jumper. lurid green is also not my colour.:rotfl:

OH has admitted that his most scruffy shirt really is too scruffy - I think it helped that i pulled a few threads out to make it more noticeable :rotfl:

I also found a badminton racket lurking at the back of the wardrobe, can't believe the number of culls that has survived and a laundry bag in the same place. So another donation bag is coming along nicely for when i get back.

Anyone know the best way to de bobble a jumper?
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »

I was once told to lightly go over with a new disposable razor.......never tried it so I dont know it it works!:o

Have a lovely holiday:D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I have an awful lot of stuff I could do that with - everything from brambles, twigs and small branches, cherry laurel and leylandii. I'd quite like to torch it and put the resultant ashes on the garden, to help the soil along - do you have any tips?

We burn a lot of stuff here. So make a pile then set it alight - you will probably need an accelerant of some kind especially if you have a lot of stuff with leaves in - laurel doesn't burn well not sure about cherry laurel. Once alight - and this is key - watch it while it is burning not all the time but regularly and use something to safely scrape the pile together into the centre so it keeps burning. Does that make sense? We do this here and end up with a very long burning but small pile of proper ash. Neighbours end up with a quicker burn as their piles remain spread out but not a properly burn pile.
    Umm...wordy answer hope it makes sense :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am doing bathroom and find I have lots of stuff the same. This means that the cupboards are full of stuff I use sometimes. (Like 6 tubes of arnica cream). Clearly I buy it, use it, lose it, buy it repeat.
    I've now put all the stuff the same into a basket - but - the cupboard is crammed.
    I can't decide if I would be better keeping say 2 of something and releasing the rest or keeping it all on the basis it will be used up eventually.
    Thoughts ???
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Am doing bathroom and find I have lots of stuff the same. This means that the cupboards are full of stuff I use sometimes. (Like 6 tubes of arnica cream). Clearly I buy it, use it, lose it, buy it repeat.
    I've now put all the stuff the same into a basket - but - the cupboard is crammed.
    I can't decide if I would be better keeping say 2 of something and releasing the rest or keeping it all on the basis it will be used up eventually.
    Thoughts ???

My :money: hat is too firmly welded to my head to consider disposing of it, espesh as such as the arnica is expensive:eek: unless it has a use by date (although I don't pay much attention to these if it looks and smells OK.) Put the ones with the least in of any type at the front and work through them:)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »

I also found a badminton racket lurking at the back of the wardrobe, can't believe the number of culls that has survived and a laundry bag in the same place. So another donation bag is coming along nicely for when i get back.

I too found a badminton racquet today, although my OH doesn't know I found it..... We've been together 15 years, he's never played badminton in this time. It will be going to the charity shop this week.........

I own one of these for de-bobbling jumpers. I even know where it is, having found it when I was KMing a sock drawer. It's still living in the drawer with the socks, but at least I know where it is now!

https://www.handyhome.co.uk/electric-lint-shaver.html?gclid=CMKGy_j2mssCFY4V0wod8CAEKQ
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We spent the morning in the loft, or more correctly I did. We went looking for the source of the woodlice, but can't find anything other than a few corpses. Have felt all the suspect pipework and that all feels dry. Hard to tell if there's a leaky tile, no light showing as coming in which there was when the previous tile broke. We'll have to have another look after it's been raining.

Anyway, having got up there, for only about the 3rd time ever, I then proceeded to pull out a lot of carp. Loads of boxes that had electrical items in we either no longer own or are so far out of guarantee you'd never send them back. Also found a box of stuff which got shoved up in the loft in a hurry 9 years ago when we had building work done. That contained a sudoku book I was missing (it was a very big book and I'd only just started it). Another box of carp which came back from the flat OH lived in when he worked away previously also came down. He kept a handful of stuff (into his office of doom) but I shredded most of the rest of it. That had only been up there 6 years. So we're 2 empty plastic crates to the good, plus another cardboard one will go to be recycled and another one in the loft has got other stuff moved into it. It's still very much a work in progress in the loft, but at least we've made a start, and OH is buying into getting rid of the junk. I keep reminding him we want to move eventually and we don't want to pay to move this stuff, and that life will be so much easier at moving time with the junk gone.

The only downsides are the garage is full of stuff I've got to take to the tip, and you don't actually feel much benefit as all this stuff was out of sight anyway........... I suppose that mentally, some of it has been lifted away.

Edit, I also found a box labelled travel guides and maps. That has been put close to the trap for me to spirit away when OH is away this week. I'll keep anything useful, but there's an awful lot of rubbish it's not worth arguing about.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I finally took the old computers to the tip last week, and have just put a crate of electrical bits in the boot of the car for when I'm next passing. I've also been to the bottle bank.

I'm slowly emptying one of the two bedrooms that the builders will be working in next month, but my culls so far seem to have been pretty good, so there isn't much to get rid of. I have no idea how I'm going to fit the contents of two rooms into the rest of the house. The beds alone will be a challenge...

I'm also busy cooking so that I have easy meals when the builders are here, as the dust tends not to be conducive to cooking. And they will be here for weeks...

I have a couple of candles that didn't burn well - one in a tin and one in a glass jam jar. I'm hoping GQ can suggest how I can get the remaining wax out so I can recycling the containers appropriately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure