PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I find it helpful to think of soil as a work in progress, rather than just a thing which is holding the plants up. Soil isn't static, it's constantly changing, and some of those changes can be caused, or at least encouraged by human activity.

When I took over my plot in 2008, it had been derelict for many years and was a rough meadow of clumpy grass which was hip high, liberally salted above ground with things like rotten pallets, and booby-trapped underground with carpet underlay, chickenwire, random steel pipes, buried carpets, buried metal pipes, buried windows and random pots, pans, 1950s lino, sugar bowls, socks, tins, bottles and more nails than a branch of Bee and Queue.

And my Dad, who is a veteran gardener with a very sharp spade, couldn't even drive it through the matted roots with all his strength behind it, even in the least-worst part. I had to bust my way through to the soil with a mattock and lots and lots of Bad Words...........:rotfl:

You can usefully compare gardening and kondo-ing, they share many of the same principles and require the same character traits.

I smile sweetly when newbie gardeners with much-less-bad-than-mine-once-was plots express envy of how good it looks, copmpared with theirs. The secret is that there is no secret, just graft.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow! Many thanks, GQ - wherever I live, if I have clay soil again, I'll go for raised beds. You must have put such a lot of work into your lottie, I'm glad its so productive for you.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had clay soil in my last garden Karmacat. I dug in LOTS of sand, and compost, and horse poo and chicken poo and bark over the years and I had a functioning veg patch and fabulous roses by the time I left. Roses LOVE clay!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I just changed over my bedlinen last week, off with the brushed cotton winter duvet cover and on with the smooth cotton one. And moving into my lovely new pillow and out with the two knackered old ones.

This has freed up a surprising amount of space at the top of the airing cupboard, somehow more than the absence of the pillow which lived up there seems to account for (probably something to do with Woo).

This morning, in the productive thinking space between waking and getting up, I had a LBM that the two big bags of fabric which are in the living room can go up there. They are part of a WIP, and will be being reduced steadily as that project gets done and outta here. But I was soo pleased that I won't have them in my way in the meantime.

Folks have taken the card table to the chazzer today, so that's one less item in the parental home (only 1.7 million other items left to go).........:p I feel the Cupboard of Doom calling to me and am confident that there is probably nothing worse in there than spiders - I still shudder at how near I came to kneeling or putting my hand onto that dead bird in their loft a few weeks back - ick.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As it is the first of the month I am setting myself a month challenge. It will also tie in nicely as it is my bday at the end of the month so would be a nice present to myself if I see it through. I toyed with the 1, 2... Things a day but have decided that as I like 'timed' exercises will do a minimum of ten minutes and it has to be things that need sorting not just things that need tidying away. This means on busy days I still do something.

Also want to work on these half finished craft things , would love to go to sell a spring fair but not heard any round where I live.
    Go get it!
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DH has put together the spinning bike he bought me as a birthday gift 4 years ago. I never asked for it, I did not want it, I asked him to sell it on, and now it's in our study..... It has been in its box for four years, serving as side table. I do NOT like spinning, and the office is a highly unsuitable space for sports, having no ventilation. Sorry, just venting. I would have preferred to sell it on and have the money go to my e-bike fund, for cycling to work every day. The spinning bike does not spark me joy, although my dds aged 4 and 7 seem to enjoy it.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    morning all

Just back from hospital, spent the morning having a mammogram followed by a large but harmless cyst being drained. Huge relief all round as I had cysts before but even the dr I saw today said it didn't feel like a cyst. Feel a bit sore but happy with the outcome.

Raining here so glad I did the weeding and seeding of the front garden yesterday, it looks so much better.

While looking for a book to read in the waiting room before we went Dh found a couple of little things to kondo.

Last night I managed to konvert a few little balls of wool into instant smoothie hats so they can be put to use for the next appeal.

Hugs and good wishes to all who need them,
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2016 at 5:19PM
    Options
    Great news that it was a cyst, I hope that the soreness soon passes. Gentle cyber hugs on their way:D

Wet here first thing, but dry and sunny now, so OH has gone out cycling plus lunch.

Since my dexterity has been pesky I have managed to convince myself that I cannot paint my nails properly, nothing based on fact, just my mind playing tricks with me, so I am in the process of doing a mani and will follow with a pedi and hopefully banish the negative thoughts:D

ETA - finger nails look good, hope they don't chip before my session in the CS tomorrow. Have not done toes, but have been kondoing some more kimono from the bathroom, still a WIP, but much more is leaving than coming in. In fact very little coming in now, I agree with so many of you that we become much more discerning as the MC bug gets hold of us. It is a great feeling!
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • ScotinLondon
    ScotinLondon Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Happy St David's day all!!

Great news on the cyst! Virtual hugs.

My garden is also full of clay...one on the joys of living in London. We've put compost, sand and top soil to make it work for us. But it is becoming harder now to maintain the garden.

GQ - when we were planting, turning the soil over we would find pieces of glass everywhere. Still do in fact. We ended up playing glass bingo in the end as we found/dug up so much!! :rotfl:

First day of a new month, is it spring or nearly spring?

One more week to go, exam will be done n dusted. Have decided that will have a week off before starting to study for the next exam in June.

Have a good evening all. Stay warm..
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad it was just a cyst, mrs-m. Hope the bruising isn't too awful!
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport