Family & Friends

Options

Comments

• splishsplash
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'm in an alternate reality to most of the other posters here.

I was just thinking 'ahh, this is a nice thread', when !!!!!!! it all went pear shaped.

Never mind, I'd better get the cats in as I hear Storm Frank (or Frank Storm?) heating up outside.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I never said my life was perfect or easy so I'm not sure where people are getting this from? I said I was thankful to have such nice friends and family.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'm in an alternate reality to most of the other posters here.

I was just thinking 'ahh, this is a nice thread', when !!!!!!! it all went pear shaped.

Never mind, I'd better get the cats in as I hear Storm Frank (or Frank Storm?) heating up outside.

Thank you!

I can't believe I'm the one being accused of being twisted and bitter :rotfl:

I'm very confused, think maybe I need to hit the Christmas sherry too.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • fierystormcloud
    Options

The only problem that emerged, is that several posters decided to disagree with the OP, and the OP decided to launch a verbal attack on one of them because she didn't like her response. And now the OP is acting like the victim and acting like she has done and said nothing wrong.

That's the long and short of it.

The OP's bad reaction to criticism, and her vitriol aimed at posters who disagree with her, is the reason the thread went 'pear shaped.'
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    You seem so bitter and twisted.

I hope you get through it; your venom towards those who do not agree with you is not only evident, it is blatant.

From your OP (which was condescending and took things out of context), to your replies with cursing, its pretty obvious where the issues lie.

Good day to you.

I read it in quite the opposite way. The OP is someone who has been through quite a lot and is thankful for the simple enjoyment of having time together with family. It is, in my view, completely unnecessary to make minor issues major ones (such as the value of gifts, bringing food) as it sours the time for everyone else as the atmosphere becomes chilly. My family Christmas is far from perfect, but I refuse to let petty niggles mar the day - I shrug my shoulders, pour myself another glass of wine and carry on enjoying myself as life is far too short. My MIL is terminally ill and not up to spending the day with us, my parents are aging and have also faced serious cancer treatment and my husband spent the holiday period suffering from a condition which could prove fatal at any time. I still consider myself blessed that we were able to come together, even if in a very fractured way, and enjoy the warmth of being a family.

I'm glad the OP was able to rise above the carp too, and see the bigger picture.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The only problem that emerged, is that several posters decided to disagree with the OP, and the OP decided to launch a verbal attack on one of them because she didn't like her response. And now the OP is acting like the victim and acting like she has done and said nothing wrong.

That's the long and short of it.

The OP's bad reaction to criticism, and her vitriol aimed at posters who disagree with her, is the reason the thread went 'pear shaped.'

Maybe the response should have been worded in a more pleasant manner than the accusatory manner in which it came across! The 'attack' you accuse the OP of was in response to being 'attacked' in the first place.. as was stated by Lily.. if you don't like what you read.. move along! Had she heeded her own advice a fracas would have been avoided.

I did not read into the OP anything that implied even vaguely her life was idyllic and knowing a very very few of the things going on in the life of GnB I know she has lots of stresses and was being thankful that at least one aspect of her life was easy.

My year has been an absolute pile of horse dung.. utterly beyond comprehension and suicide inducing!! But I can still be thankful that my freaky family are not hard work to spend time with as a whole.. being thankful for the small things keeps you sane.

It doesn't have to be about family.. you could be thankful you have a safe warm dry home after all the recent floods, or a job you enjoy, or healthy pets.. or being alive, or in a safe country, or not starving..

But yeah, I'm glad I don't have people in my family that deliberately excel at making others unhappy.. I'm also glad of many other things too.

Sending group hugs to those who feel there is nothing in their life to be thankful for... and I hope you all find something soon <3
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    As the first poster on the thread to express disagreement with the OP, I'd like to point out that it was just this part of the post that I disagreed with.
    So much negativity on the boards lately, everybody needs to chill!
    Maybe it was poorly expressed by the OP, but when you post about something that is bothering or upsetting you, the last thing you need is to be told to 'chill out'.

I agree that some things may seem trivial on the face of it, but we rarely get to read the full story.

What posters need to do is read a post, decide if they agree or not and either say so or move on if expressing an opinion is not that important to you.

I'm sorry, OP, but posting a blanket "you need to chill out" - which is what you did - wasn't the greatest piece of advice you could give.
  • CruisingSaver
    Options
    I thought this would be a nice thread then I clicked on it! What on earth have some people been on over the festive period??

I completely understand where you're coming from OP, sometimes you just have to appreciate and value the company of your loved ones despite what else may be going on in your lives.

I could cheerfully throttle my DH sometimes but he's a good man and doesn't deserve the illness and worry he's had to deal with this year. He had major brain surgery earlier this year after a scan revealed 'something' in his brain whilst being investigated for another condition.

As if that wasn't enough he's having a biopsy next week to check for suspected cancer in another part of his body.

So when I read some of the petty gripes and imagined slights in some other threads it does raise your blood pressure somewhat and make you want to shout 'get a [expletive of your choice] grip!'

OP I hope that your daughter is on the road to recovery and 2016 is a good year for you.

CS x
  • gunsandbanjos
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    As the first poster on the thread to express disagreement with the OP, I'd like to point out that it was just this part of the post that I disagreed with.

Maybe it was poorly expressed by the OP, but when you post about something that is bothering or upsetting you, the last thing you need is to be told to 'chill out'.

I agree that some things may seem trivial on the face of it, but we rarely get to read the full story.

What posters need to do is read a post, decide if they agree or not and either say so or move on if expressing an opinion is not that important to you.

I'm sorry, OP, but posting a blanket "you need to chill out" - which is what you did - wasn't the greatest piece of advice you could give.

It wasn't really meant as advice:) apologies if it seemed flippant, I'm just a very don't sweat the small stuff kinda person.

Poorly expressed? Probably :o but not deserving of the vitriol levelled at it by some posters (not you polly).

Whatever, wishing everyone a healthy and happy 2016.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As someone said earlier, if you think the problem or issue is trivial, then stay away from the thread. Nobody asks you to contribute!

Maybe everyone can take this piece of advice for all threads on here and then it does not feel so much like the school yard and maybe just maybe we can have some conversations where one person is not gaining points by putting another person down.

As always this is just my opinion, I often leave threads alone as there is really no point contributing, if both sides of any argument seem more interested in getting the last word in than helping out anyone who may have asked for help.

I will leave it there and continue on my way.
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family